08-01-2017, 08:24 PM
User Info
Previously I was using a loccitane plisson and a TGN silvertip brush, but then after reading on forums I felt the itch to try a badger brush from a premium brand. I purchased two brushes from Simpson, a case and classic 1 in best badger, but when face lathering neither of the simpsons were as soft on the face as the $30 TGN or plisson. The case had great backbone and generated tons of lather easily, but was so scrubby that it left my face irritated even before I brought out the razor. The classic was nice and dense, but was much floppier than the case and refused to release lather. It was also scratchy enough to be bothersome, but not to the same extent as the case. Both brushes have had 10+ lathers so far to defunk and try to soften the bristles, so I think they're as good as they're going to get. Since the simpsons weren't all that I imagined them to be, are there any recommendations for types of badger hair (2 band, manchurian, etc) or smaller face lathering brushes (23mmx48mm and under) that combines backbone, softness, and lather release for under $120?

0 7
 08-01-2017, 09:19 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
For softness and back bone, get a Paladin very soft tips, also the Thater 4125 2 bands in the bulb are also great and easily available and possibly softer tips but less back bone.

2 455
 08-01-2017, 10:30 PM
User Info
One thing I will say about Simpson Best is that you can get variation in the hair. Usually best is really good and soft, but sometimes you will get ones that are scrubby like that. I'm surprised that the Classic was too floppy, yet was holding onto the lather. Getting a Paladin for the price you mentioned would be problematic, but getting a 2-band Thater in the size you want at the price you want wouldn't be hard. A little easier if you went the used route, but you could do it brand new too. Get a bulb thater for better control face lathering, but 2-band Thater is soft, good density, and good backbone and flow. You can look at 2-band Silvertip too from Shavemac. Just make sure it's not 2-band D01 hair from Shavemac. That is not what you are looking for.

23 628
 08-02-2017, 02:38 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Thater 3-band silvertip or shavemac 3-band silvertip.  Also, shavemac finest.  The beauty of shavemac is that through their brush configurator you can customise your brush in terms of the shape of the knot, the quality of the knot hair and the size and loft of the knot; and the style and colour of the handle.

7 909
 08-02-2017, 05:00 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-01-2017, 08:24 PM)5370H55V Wrote: Previously I was using a loccitane plisson and a TGN silvertip brush, but then after reading on forums I felt the itch to try a badger brush from a premium brand. I purchased two brushes from Simpson, a case and classic 1 in best badger, but when face lathering neither of the simpsons were as soft on the face as the $30 TGN or plisson. The case had great backbone and generated tons of lather easily, but was so scrubby that it left my face irritated even before I brought out the razor. The classic was nice and dense, but was much floppier than the case and refused to release lather. It was also scratchy enough to be bothersome, but not to the same extent as the case. Both brushes have had 10+ lathers so far to defunk and try to soften the bristles, so I think they're as good as they're going to get. Since the simpsons weren't all that I imagined them to be, are there any recommendations for types of badger hair (2 band, manchurian, etc) or smaller face lathering brushes (23mmx48mm and under) that combines backbone, softness, and lather release for under $120?

Take a look at Elite Razors. Bob's 24mm knots in one of his custom handles should come in somewhere near your price point.

Regarding Simpsons hair; as Joe (kooshman7) mentioned, there are definitely variations within their grades. I have some Best grade knots that are as soft as their Super. By the same token, I've also had a Best knot that was positively uncomfortable. It seems that higher lofted Best knots have a softer face feel than the shorter lofted knots.

7 2,121
 08-02-2017, 05:17 AM
User Info
Don't give up just yet. You need to try the Silvertip/Super or Manchurians knots offered by Simpsons. The tips are softer, not as scritchy along with a stronger backbone than the best knots.

31 737
 08-02-2017, 05:23 AM
User Info
Go to the Shavemac website and the 'brush calculator.' You can build your own picking the handle, knot diameter and loft. Email Bernd and tell him what you are looking for in a brush and he will take care of it. Or, if it is soft tips and off the shelf, a Thater is a sure thing.

7 235
 08-02-2017, 07:15 AM
User Info
Another vote for shavemac. Plus they offer a excellent warranty..

21 271
 08-02-2017, 09:19 AM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 05:17 AM)llalm Wrote: Don't give up just yet. You need to try the Silvertip/Super or Manchurians knots offered by Simpsons. The tips are softer, not as scritchy along with a stronger backbone than the best knots.

Agreed. I have a Manchurian Chubby 2 and after the long break in period (longest of any brush I've owned) it's become my go-to. Perfect amount of softness, backbone, and density - especially if you're in an area with soft water.

1 25
 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM
User Info
My Shavemac is also plenty soft.  Works great, when I use it.

0 171
 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM
User Info
The price constraints is what's holding you back, unfortunately. 

For that price range, reach out to Rudy Vey. I'm sure he'll take care of you. 

http://www.ultimatependesigns.com/OrderInfo.html

18 654
 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
User Info
Get a white handled Stirling finest with the 26mm knot.  A cheap way to try a badger brush.  The white handled brush has a longer loft than the black handled version so i think it would be more floppy(but I don't have a white version to compare).  I love my black handle version.  As good as my shavemac and other expensive brushes.  I also have a Romera which is much more dense than the shavemac or the stirling.

0 165
 08-02-2017, 01:00 PM
User Info
The size and descriptions of the Thater 4125/0 2-band looks good, but it seems most places are out of the black handle bulb knot. Any differences in face lathering ability with the larger 24 or 26mm sizes?

Besides the Thater though, I was looking at shavemac and paladin as suggested. Shavemac's customization makes it a safe choice, but the paladins look to be higher quality, albeit slightly out of my budget. How do the 2 band knots for shavemac compare to paladin in terms of scritch? Or is the price difference between the two mostly due to the handles?

And I'd love to try a Simpsons machurian sometime in the future, but its out of my current budget. Though if anyone's willing to point me towards one for under $120 I might bite. Biggrin

And thanks again for all the suggestions so far.

0 7
 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM
User Info
If you are okay with a used brush, you can score some good deals and get a great brush at a great price. That would open your buying field extensively. Anymore for myself, I don't care if the brush is used. I get to see the knot, and at this point I can be very reliable in eye spotting that exact brush that's perfect for me.

23 628
 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM
User Info
+1 for Stirling.  My advice is get the ivory-handle 24mm bulb knot (24x54mm) or the 24mm fan.  Both have very soft tips and will give you a feel that is similar to 2-band Shavemac or Paladin hair, if not quite as good -- at a fraction of the price.   However, if you have the funds, the newest knots from Paladin are absolutely stellar and you'll have a brush that is unparalleled in beauty.

11 973
 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM
User Info
I found Maseto shaving brushes to be excellent for my first few initial uses. The 30mm 2-band isn't lacking in backbone for me, but I'm going to pick up one of the extra density 2 and 3-bands soon. My initial uses of the brush makes me feel confident they will last a long time, but they don't have as much people to back it up. It's one of the few times I've been impressed by something not from an established maker. Never been much of a fan for TGN knots. Envy Shave 2-band brushes are excellent too. I'd rate them higher than the Maseto actually. We can all flood you with choices. lol

23 628
 08-02-2017, 03:06 PM
User Info
I don't have much experience with high-end badgers but I bought an in-stock Manchurian from Romera and it's pretty impressive - dense, soft, just a smidge over your budget but wanted to mention it.

1 115
 08-02-2017, 03:14 PM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 03:06 PM)TripleG Wrote: I don't have much experience with high-end badgers but I bought an in-stock Manchurian from Romera and it's pretty impressive - dense, soft, just a smidge over your budget but wanted to mention it.

Romera Manchurian is an excellent brush. A great suggestion TripleG!

23 628
 08-02-2017, 03:23 PM
User Info
I just went on a site that has the 4125/0 two-band in stock with black handles, and either bulb or fan, but they are charging $139. I'm not sure if it is acceptable to mention the vendor since they are not on the shavenook vendor list, but it is a very well known site. I have two Simpsons best badgers (Commodore and Chubby 2), a Shavemac D01 Silvertip (three band), a custom two band, a Thater 4125/1 (24mm two-band fan knot), and an Elite Razor Manchurian on the way. I like them all a lot, but that Thater is the best of the bunch. I also have a Maggard synthetic, it is decent, but it is getting used less and less. I could send you a private message with that site or you could read through this again. I just realized I actually mentioned them anyway.

2 207
 08-02-2017, 03:26 PM
User Info
Like someone said there are plenty of Thaters for sale on here used, but I don't think any are the 0 size. I also recommend staying with the 4125 two band if you decide to get a Thater.

2 207