08-02-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
Anyone know what ingredients were used in some of the first modern hair pomades?
Thanks

0 73
 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM
User Info
Depends on if you're talking oil based or water. Lots of petroleum-based oil pomades out there, and for the new-school water based pomades, a lot of them use borax as an emulsifier for calendula or bees wax.

1 45
 09-19-2017, 11:59 PM
User Info
First and modern are terms kind of at odds here.  The first pomades were simply made of clarified, scented animal fat (lard, tallow) stiffened with beeswax.  Then petrolatum/mineral oil was substituted for the animal fats, which gave it a longer shelf life, but it was still a greasy product.  The modern water-soluble "pomades" are emulsions of water, emulsifiers, polymers, wax, silicone, oils, preservatives, fragrances and assorted ingredients that are easier to wash out of your hair than the old oil/wax versions.  Pomades with clay in them are relatively new, but also need preservatives and a host of supporting ingredients for texture, stability, etc.

0 280
 09-20-2017, 03:10 AM
User Info
Thanks Michelle.  Very informative, as usual.

50 6,098
 09-20-2017, 08:38 AM
User Info
Here's something related to the post about borax being used in new-school pomades: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/jul/...ews.london
An archeological dig at a 2000 year old site in London discovered a nearly pristine tin container full of a cream or ointment (I couldn't find news about subsequent analysis of the ingredients though). We know from historical documents that creams using borax and beeswax to emulsify oils and rosewater were made back then, but it was more of a cold cream (face cream) consistency rather than a pomade because it was intended to soften and protect the skin, not hold anything in place.  You can find lots of recipes online for making "Galen's cream", although there's a lot of argument about the safety of borax.  I've never made Galen's cream myself, although I have made salves, pomades, waxes and other types of lotion.

0 280
 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM
User Info
Bear tallow was particularly prized for use in hair.

9 3,036