08-02-2017, 02:37 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I received a Bufflehead twitter announcement that a soap was going to be available at a certain day at 7.30. I didn't think much of it, it was just a soap. With most shaving items when I want to purchase I go to a website. But on the night of the sale I was in my office, so it was around 7.25 I took a break and thought “let me see about picking up a soap”. So at 7.29 (I timed it out with my my phone clock) and I started to refresh until 7:30:15 in which the site went live and an add to cart appeared for the soap. I clicked add to cart and started the paypal check out. Now with a soap in the cart I clicked on paypal and went through the following steps which took 24 seconds to the final point where I clicked to complete the purchase in which I saw on the screen SOLD OUT. The time was now 7:30:29.

This is stupid and I felt really stupid for being sucked into “I need to have this item” an item that I don,t need. I have always supported people who's products I like and who care about their products and the customer. Most items I purchased are from websites/people who try to keep inventory on hand who offer nerw items as well as keep the tried and true. As far as custom made items I order from a websites/artisians I know who have good reputations, who will communicate with me and make the item/brush I've ordered. These people work at their business they need my support, they respect their customers.

Those people who do not have the time to run a business or put the effort to have a frequent consistent offering at this point I do not want to give them my money.  I guess I don't want to be a lemmings who will rush to buy because these part time people have a limited offering because they need a little additional money, There are many good people/artisans who deserve my support they respect me as a customer.

52 479
 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM
User Info
Allot of brothers feel the same but you get a few hardheads that rush to defend the way he manages his business. Jump on Reddit to see some back and forth on this. I felt it was sold out in around 12-15 seconds tops but a guy argued with me that the business owner said 32 seconds. Really.....I was the one typing and watching the screen but the business owner who has said his site is antiquated and why a wait list can't be done was able to have a firmer time than the purchaser?

I could now care less if I ever try his stuff. I hope some of these other manufacturers that make soap try their hand at the duck tallow.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

0 88
 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM
User Info
The hype for some products is beyond comprehension. I've seen these flipped for $100 apiece. When soap becomes an investment-grade item, something ain't right...

160 1,040
 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM
User Info
I've tried to get Bufflehead 3 times over the last couple years and was successful once. To me it was no big deal. It took about couple minutes out of my day those three times and like you I had nothing else going on those times I tried. I believe the gentleman that runs Bufflehead does it as more if a hobby and has made it known that he only makes available 40-50 soaps during each sale.

4 929
 08-02-2017, 02:55 PM
User Info
This hype is unnecessary.  There are a number of artisans who produce comparably excellent soaps which are usually in stock and easy to order.

50 6,423
 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM
User Info
He makes soap as a hobby, and what is available is all he has time to make. He doesn't intentionally make it difficult to obtain, that's just what he has time for. Also, he REALLY dislikes when people flip his soaps for ridiculous money.

The real insanity is how upset people get about not being able to purchase some.

7 330
 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I wanted to be part of the artisan front when I first started wet shaving, I really did, but at least half of the purchases i made of highly touted artisan soaps fell woefully short. I gave most of them a second chance but again, half of that half failed to impress me. Meanwhile almost every single purchase i made of, shall we say more established brands performed as hoped and the very few that didnt wasn't because of bad Q.C., which can result in inconsistent quality, but were suffering a complete meltdown due to things like change in formula,  i.e. Trumpers soaps. So things I  could count on and simply write them off. Or, in fewer words, I  have better things to do than roll that pair of fuzzy dice.
And im not going to have a different, special lathering procedure for each soap. That's just aint happening.

7 2,359
 08-02-2017, 04:39 PM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 02:55 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: This hype is unnecessary.  There are a number of artisans who produce comparably excellent soaps which are usually in stock and easy to order.
Signs011

39 3,950
 08-02-2017, 08:06 PM
User Info
I have no need for a bufflehead soap or any number of limited availability razor, brush, or blade.  There are infinitely workable replacements for all of them.  Hey, if waiting on a list or constantly refreshing your page are your bag and you are enjoying yourself then I'm happy for you.  it's supposed to be fun.  That just isn't my definition of fun.

3 171
 08-03-2017, 03:57 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've never heard of Bufflehead soap and I'm a confirmed soap junkie.  What makes the soap special?  Duck tallow?

I think that some artisans purposely release a small batch of soap at a time in order to generate hype.  I decided several years ago that I didn't want to play the refresh the website game to buy a puck of soap.

8 1,447
 08-03-2017, 04:41 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
The supply issue drives me crazy too. Why go through all he trouble to make 40 soaps, once every 8 months?
Fortunately for me, the notes used to create the scents look like they were pulled out of a word randomizer (like many, not all, artisan soap scents). I doubt they're anything to write home about.

62 3,006
 08-03-2017, 04:51 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 03:57 AM)Sully Wrote: I've never heard of Bufflehead soap and I'm a confirmed soap junkie.  What makes the soap special?  Duck tallow?

I think that some artisans purposely release a small batch of soap at a time in order to generate hype.  I decided several years ago that I didn't want to play the refresh the website game to buy a puck of soap.
I agree. I also think there is some "shilling" involved.

39 3,950
 08-03-2017, 05:16 AM
User Info
Fellas, I've personally met with this artisan 2-3 times as he lives on the other side of Nashville from me. He is a great guy who has a young family and makes soap as a hobby, not a business. If you don't want to play the game it takes to get his soap, then don't. I have a couple soaps from him which I love and find definitely worth the price. However, I'm not one to jump through the hoops of a race to get anything. The way some of y'all are speaking of him reflects more on yourself than him. He's been very upfront on how he operates. Don't like it, then don't play along. I guarantee you that there is no limitation to supply just to create hype here. His job keeps him traveling quite a bit which is the main reason for his lack of production. He still goes through the hassle of making soap at all because he loves it. To imply shilling seems to be something thrown around here a lot and unfortunately it is usually inaccurate at best and at worst just another way to attack the artisan.

Grow up guys, but I await the personal attacks to me for those that can't.

31 8,058
 08-03-2017, 05:20 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 05:16 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Fellas, I've personally met with this artisan 2-3 times as he lives on the other side of Nashville from me. He is a great guy who has a young family and makes soap as a hobby, not a business. If you don't want to play the game it takes to get his soap, then don't. I have a couple soaps from him which I love and find definitely worth the price. However, I'm not one to jump through the hoops of a race to get anything. The way some of y'all are speaking of him reflects more on yourself than him. He's been very upfront on how he operates. Don't like it, then don't play along. I guarantee you that there is no limitation to supply just to create hype here. His job keeps him traveling quite a bit which is the main reason for his lack of production. He still goes through the hassle of making soap at all because he loves it. To imply shilling seems to be something thrown around here a lot and unfortunately it is usually inaccurate at best and at worst just another way to attack the artisan.

Grow up guys, but I await the personal attacks to me for those that can't.
My post was not directed at any particular artisan. So it should not be construed as such. I should have made that more clear. 

39 3,950
 08-03-2017, 07:12 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I kind of enjoy the thrill of hitting the refresh button frequently and hoping my cc input is quick.  For me, reverse gambling - if I lose costs nothing, if I win costs money.  

There is no method for a high quality 1-person shop (that plans to stay a 1-person shop) to satisfy everyone.  The goal should be "reduce frustration"  while having a few winners.

5 427
 08-03-2017, 07:19 AM
User Info
If there was simply a timer of sorts that allowed someone who has the item in their cart an allotted amount of time (60 seconds - 90 seconds) then it would solve a lot of the frustration of "I had it in my cart and then it said "sold out" " -- that would be a welcome addition to these sort of exciting soap/ equipment buys.

I think he's a good dude, makes a very legit soap - I've had a few tins ... but a timer for those who do make it first in line would be nice!

102 1,540
 08-03-2017, 07:21 AM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 02:44 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: The hype for some products is beyond comprehension. I've seen these flipped for $100 apiece. When soap becomes an investment-grade item, something ain't right...

To me if I could flip it for a 500% profit, it would be worth it.  Just to be clear, I haven't bought any Bufflehead soap(or any other product) to do this.  Just saying.

0 204
 08-03-2017, 07:43 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
(08-02-2017, 02:55 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: This hype is unnecessary.  There are a number of artisans who produce comparably excellent soaps which are usually in stock and easy to order.

Signs011

4 2,824
 08-03-2017, 08:37 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 07:19 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: If there was simply a timer of sorts that allowed someone who has the item in their cart an allotted amount of time (60 seconds - 90 seconds) then it would solve a lot of the frustration of "I had it in my cart and then it said "sold out" " -- that would be a welcome addition to these sort of exciting soap/ equipment buys.

I think he's a good dude, makes a very legit soap - I've had a few tins ... but a timer for those who do make it first in line would be nice!
I specifically asked for a waitlist like a few of the others use that also create items as a side job. Answer was no.

I have read enough and my conclusion is that he doesn't care about the frustration and personally I think he likes the salt that comes from keeping his stuff scarce.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

0 88
 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM
User Info
I find it somewhat baffling that people get upset about something like this.  In essence, the guy makes some soap and sells it.  He is under no obligation to make soap, and he's under no obligation to sell it.  

More importantly, the fact that he chooses to sell soap at any time DOES NOT OBLIGATE HIM to sell soap all the time.  Or to make enough soap that any individual person is able to purchase it.  An individual does not have a RIGHT to have soap made by any particular maker.  

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes.  If he stopped making soap altogether, would that fix the "problem"?  Then nobody would get to have the soap.  

To clarify my position, let's change the item being sold from soap to, say, oil paintings.  Let's say there's a guy who makes beautiful oil paintings, and when he makes some, he offers them for sale.  A lot of people want his oil paintings, but he has a full-time job and just paints a little from time to time, and when the "muse" strikes.  Would you be angry or accusatory because he didn't make enough paintings so that you could have one?  Is he obligated to paint enough paintings so that everybody who likes his style of painting can have one to hang on their wall?  It's ludicrous on its face, is it not?

2 1,552