08-04-2017, 10:39 PM
User Info
If you read this thread people are accusing him of using scarcity to drive sales. I can't comment on that, but if he already has that reputation, he might as well sell the soaps for $40 or $80 each, like some of the "flippers" are doing. Supply and demand!

6 806
 08-05-2017, 04:48 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
But then he would have to give more than a teaspoon of soap.

62 3,011
 08-05-2017, 05:28 AM
User Info
(08-04-2017, 10:39 PM)Gig103 Wrote: If you read this thread people are accusing him of using scarcity to drive sales. I can't comment on that, but if he already has that reputation, he might as well sell the soaps for $40 or $80 each, like some of the "flippers" are doing. Supply and demand!
He recently did an AMA on Reddit and in the first few questions he replied that he is printing money by not making soap. I took that literally being that he has commented on supply and demand and his prowess in marketing. The allcolides commented that the reply was sarcasm.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

0 88
 08-05-2017, 11:10 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I have read in this post people who equate Paladin's business model to those people who suck people like me in to purchasing their products. As I originally stated this could not be further from the truth. Paladins business model, product and customer service is all about respect to it's customer and the shaving community as a whole. Paladin has analyzed and has interred into discussions on this forum as well as others about their business model and has taken constructive and negative opinions and applied them to better their business. I also have nothing but respect for businesss like Wolfman, Varlet and Peter Wolfs, Stan at Above the Tie, etc and their business models. Again they have wonderful products and respect me as a customer that I as a lemming will follow their instructions on how to obtain their products.

I have no objections to those that offer products (I know that some of these products are very good) part time just for the money. I don't care if they make 100 pieces and keep 50%, 75% of their product off the market. Or market themselves in a way to inflate their reputations, that is their business, that is their right. What I get annoyed at is my decision of letting myself being sucked in by these people, sucked into a situation where I am being used (again I am responsible for my own decisions) and not respected only for their gain. 

Because I enjoy wet shaving more then the average shaver I find myself suseptabeI to the "I must have this item" from people who do not respect/value me as a customer and have no consideration for my time, who have no consideration for those of us who are more then casual wet shavers, those of us who are always looking (the lemming factor) for a new and better product to enjoy in our "this is my break from the world, my time to myself" grooming/shave.

52 481
 08-05-2017, 01:35 PM
User Info
Can't help but think this community never used to have these issues. Used to be a bunch of helpful guys having fun and treating this as a hobby. Now I see a bunch of free market money grabbers trying to jump into things they don't appreciate. I had a gent once try to sell me a "clone" aftershave that was marketed as an affordable version of a very well known , expensive aftershave , for nearly the same price as the original saying how rare and hard to find these bottles were... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

63 1,597
 08-05-2017, 02:08 PM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 01:35 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Can't help but think this community never used to have these issues. Used to be a bunch of helpful guys having fun and treating this as a hobby. Now I see a bunch of free market money grabbers trying to jump into things they don't appreciate. I had a gent once try to sell me a "clone" aftershave that was marketed as an affordable version of a very well known , expensive aftershave , for nearly the same price as the original saying how rare and hard to find these bottles were... lol

It still can be Corey. I make use of the "ignore" button frequently.  Biggrin

39 3,953
 08-05-2017, 02:12 PM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 02:08 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 01:35 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Can't help but think this community never used to have these issues. Used to be a bunch of helpful guys having fun and treating this as a hobby. Now I see a bunch of free market money grabbers trying to jump into things they don't appreciate. I had a gent once try to sell me a "clone" aftershave that was marketed as an affordable version of a very well known , expensive aftershave , for nearly the same price as the original saying how rare and hard to find these bottles were... lol

Haha that does seem to be an effective method of isolation.

63 1,597
 08-05-2017, 02:13 PM
User Info

As a counter-argument, I might say there was nothing worth having in the good old days (bear with me).

You had your mainstream brands and they could be found at dozens of stores for basically the same price, with zero fear of becoming unobtainable (notable exception - AoS tallow). Then you had what few artisans there were at the time, and none of them were doing limited or seasonal runs. They made what they made and it was all out there to buy. There was no mystique or aura about it. Additionally, with so few artisans the competition level wasn't so ridiculous. Limited runs and product differentiation (duck tallow, donkey milk, lanolin, clay, saffron, you name it!) are the direct result of crazy market saturation that forces producers to separate themselves from the crowd.

This then feeds into consumer beliefs about product quality, and then you have $20 Bufflehead tins and $200 Wolfman razors going for triple on the used market.

16 1,027
 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 02:12 PM)ultra~nova Wrote:

Haha that does seem to be an effective method of isolation.

I don't feel isolated, I feel relieved.

39 3,953
 08-05-2017, 04:10 PM
User Info
I was referring to the isolation of annoyances mentioned throughout the thread , I'm happy for you my friend perhaps I as well need to take part in this practice.

63 1,597
 08-05-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 04:10 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I was referring to the isolation of annoyances mentioned throughout the thread , I'm happy for you my friend perhaps I as well need to take part in this practice.

Reminds me of the 2 guys who sought and found the perfect place on the planet with no political strife (isolation of annoyances), Faulkland Islands...

36 910
 08-05-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 04:13 PM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:
(08-05-2017, 04:10 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I was referring to the isolation of annoyances mentioned throughout the thread , I'm happy for you my friend perhaps I as well need to take part in this practice.

Reminds me of the 2 guys who sought and found the perfect place on the planet with no political strife (isolation of annoyances), Faulkland Islands...

That made me laugh.

63 1,597
 08-06-2017, 04:45 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 03:02 PM)iShave Wrote: Paladin supply isnt so much an issue anymore, its moreso making the popular handles in the colour most people are wanting. You can tell there is a big demand for black handles from Paladin, as they sellout instantly. I love my Paladin brush and recently traded for another one, Ken has made a top notch brush that I really enjoy and appreciate the quality but I'm kinda over it as far as waiting for what I want to be available or trying to fit the release time into my day. I've moved on to the custom brushes, just easiler, you get exactly what you want and imo just as good in quality from the handle to knots. Same thing with soaps, just too many options out there to go chasing Bufflehead or whoever, with CRSW, Sudsy, T&S, Mystic Waters this list will go on for at least 20 more companies, it's really not worth putting the energy into getting a hard to get soap. I have a feeling with how much this niche is growing and the continuous success from other small businesses, it's going to put even more competition out there in the very near future.

5 lovely Paladins still available on their website— https://www.paladinshaving.com/collectio...s/in-stock

1 417
 08-06-2017, 05:05 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
They ship only within the US?

49 2,017
 08-06-2017, 05:18 AM
User Info
(08-06-2017, 05:05 AM)nikos.a Wrote: They ship only within the US?

Yes, for reasons I'm unclear on. That said, I have sold a badger brush and shipped across the pond without issue - I suppose private parties have an easier time of it. I've read of a few gents who'll simply buy and have a USA based friend forward the package.

29 1,207
 08-06-2017, 05:23 AM
User Info
Something about a permit needed to ship an animal product out of the country.  Anyway, I have one on the way.  There is a company in the U.S. that accepts the shipment and forwards it to their branch in Canada, which mails it to my home.  

Not sure about getting one over to Greece, however.  Perhaps one of the fine SN gentlemen in the U.S. could do it for you.

1 417
 08-06-2017, 06:15 AM
User Info

Snake oil salesmen have been around since Adam & Eve, nothing new. We have integrity/honesty remaining in this world. I find it difficult if not damn impossible to lie for 2 reasons: 1) I lack integrity if I lie and I've got a lot of personal pride to keep my integrity intact 2) If I lie I need to remember something "else" and I do not want to have to rely on memory to remember something "else". A neighbor in the process of moving was selling DVDs the other day and he said the DVDs were bootlegs. I declined to buy. There is a market for everything and as mentioned above one can make use of the ignore button.

What this has to do with shaving...maybe nothing.

I hope I am buying from honest vendors.

36 910
 08-06-2017, 02:46 PM
User Info
(08-06-2017, 06:15 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:   I hope I am buying from honest vendors.

That's why I don't buy from PAA, who had to change their name after some backlash from shady misrepresentations. One local business I don't need to support.

6 806
 08-06-2017, 08:59 PM
User Info
I don't mind waiting to buy if the item is of great quality. E.G., I am often patient when I purchase Mike's - as it's nearly always out of stock, yet my favorite soap. I was watchful and calculating when I picked up a UFO handle - and don't regret the buying experience one bit. I recently ordered some jabonman eufros soap - expensive, and not always in stock. If I really want a product, I don't mind the chase (up to a point). That said, I buy from artisans I trust, whether it's a Paladin brush or a difficult to source soap.

Regarding the topic of limited runs for soap-scents: I might be up for that. Mike's and CRSW are so reliable for me, were either to introduce a LE which I thought would strike my fancy, I'd go after it (as I use these artisan's soaps daily, and I know they work very well for me). I suppose I feel the same about high priced soaps as I do LE's. It took me a long time to buy Pannacrema Nuavia - mainly because of the price, and the scents didn't speak to me. Then verde was released and I've been very happy with that purchase. $60+ for soap!?! But it puts a big grin on my face each and every time I use it, so who am I to say that the price is too high, or the wait too long?

At the end of the day, this is an enthusiasts forum; a hobbyists forum. This is where we come to celebrate purchasing in excess - whether it's another brush to add to our collection, or a LE release soap. Limited availability - that's ok for me.

29 1,207