08-02-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
Hi All,

Does anyone know which Badger Hair in Shavemac's collection is the equivalent feel as Simpsons Duke 3 in Best Badger Hair?

I want to know a starting off point.

Thanks!

3 298
 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM
User Info
Shavemac "Finest" is a more consistent version of Simpsons "Best" grade.  If you want the full Simpsons experience, get a very low loft to enhance that scrub/scritch.

16 250
 08-02-2017, 07:19 PM
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:55 PM)explodyii Wrote: Shavemac "Finest" is a more consistent version of Simpsons "Best" grade.  If you want the full Simpsons experience, get a very low loft to enhance that scrub/scritch.

Ah I see. Thanks! Very helpful.

3 298
 08-03-2017, 04:17 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-02-2017, 04:55 PM)explodyii Wrote: Shavemac "Finest" is a more consistent version of Simpsons "Best" grade.  If you want the full Simpsons experience, get a very low loft to enhance that scrub/scritch.

I agree.  Knot feel, however, is a product of hair grade, knot shape, knot diameter and knot loft.  The advantage of buying from shavemac is that through their brush configurator you can customise your brush in terms of hair grade, knot shape, knot diameter, knot loft, handle shape/size and handle colour.

7 934
 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
Agreed.

Finest.

24 6,018
 08-04-2017, 05:46 PM
User Info
I wonder if they offer unique density in finest, like they do with the more premium knots. If so that may be a way to even further simulate a Simpsons knot.

28 777
 08-04-2017, 09:07 PM
User Info
I would upgrade the Best hair type and go for a better performer with a better feel, unless you like the slight scricth Finest can have compared to the better hair types from Shavemac.

It's only about $25-$30 to get a 2-band Silvertip knot, which in my opinion is a better overall perfomer than Simpson Best.

Or you could for the D01 3-band Silvertip, which has a slightly more dense feel.

The regular 3-band Silvertip is also a very nice knot.

Nothing wrong with Finest, it might just be the best knot for money, that you can get. But why not go for premium, when it's not that more expensive ?

24 6,018
 08-05-2017, 04:38 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Finest, but in my opinion the Shavemac Finest is softer than Simpson Best. And it has more backbone, too. It's nice all around, though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,523
 08-05-2017, 04:39 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(08-04-2017, 09:07 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I would upgrade the Best hair type and go for a better performer with a better feel, unless you like the slight scricth Finest can have compared to the better hair types from Shavemac.

It's only about $25-$30 to get a 2-band Silvertip knot, which in my opinion is a better overall perfomer than Simpson Best.

Or you could for the D01 3-band Silvertip, which has a slightly more dense feel.

The regular 3-band Silvertip is also a very nice knot.

Nothing wrong with Finest, it might just be the best knot for money, that you can get. But why not go for premium, when it's not that more expensive ?
I agree!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

74 1,523
 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
I think it's a bit of a misnomer that softer tips equal a better knot. There does seem to be a correlation to softer tips leading to a higher priced knot in many cases, and this could indeed be correlated with the hairs being harder to procure due to coming from a smaller region of the badger. However, the texture of hair a shaver prefers on his face and considers "top quality" is entirely subjective. I've tried and own a number of high-end brushes, 3-band and 2-band, but my favorite is my Chubby 2 in best badger. In that regard, my interest in the Shavemac finest hair would be in getting a custom brush with a similar - not too soft - texture. I can tell you with an honest heart and a smile on my face that in the morning when I scrub up a good lather on my face with my Chubby 2, I feel like the King of the Hill. Wink

18 279
 08-10-2017, 06:04 PM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 05:13 PM)Journeyman Wrote: I think it's a bit of a misnomer that softer tips equal a better knot. There does seem to be a correlation to softer tips leading to a higher priced knot in many cases, and this could indeed be correlated with the hairs being harder to procure due to coming from a smaller region of the badger. However, the texture of hair a shaver prefers on his face and considers "top quality" is entirely subjective. I've tried and own a number of high-end brushes, 3-band and 2-band, but my favorite is my Chubby 2 in best badger. In that regard, my interest in the Shavemac finest hair would be in getting a custom brush with a similar - not too soft - texture. I can tell you with an honest heart and a smile on my face that in the morning when I scrub up a good lather on my face with my Chubby 2, I feel like the King of the Hill. Wink

I have personally never felt softer means better. Not even close.

But softer means more luxurious feel to me.
Not better feel. In fact often too floppy feel.

The thing I look for is soft tips combined with lots of backbone.

This is my ideal knot. Soft luxurious tips and good solid backbone.

Experience with knots have given me this unique combo in both my 2-bands and 3-bands, but it took me 4-5 years to figure it out.

24 6,018
 08-10-2017, 06:34 PM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
(08-10-2017, 06:04 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 05:13 PM)Journeyman Wrote: I think it's a bit of a misnomer that softer tips equal a better knot. There does seem to be a correlation to softer tips leading to a higher priced knot in many cases, and this could indeed be correlated with the hairs being harder to procure due to coming from a smaller region of the badger. However, the texture of hair a shaver prefers on his face and considers "top quality" is entirely subjective. I've tried and own a number of high-end brushes, 3-band and 2-band, but my favorite is my Chubby 2 in best badger. In that regard, my interest in the Shavemac finest hair would be in getting a custom brush with a similar - not too soft - texture. I can tell you with an honest heart and a smile on my face that in the morning when I scrub up a good lather on my face with my Chubby 2, I feel like the King of the Hill. Wink

I have personally never felt softer means better. Not even close.

But softer means more luxurious feel to me.
Not better feel. In fact often too floppy feel.

The thing I look for is soft tips combined with lots of backbone.

This is my ideal knot. Soft luxurious tips and good solid backbone.

Experience with knots have given me this unique combo in both my 2-bands and 3-bands, but it took me 4-5 years to figure it out.

I certainly understand where you're coming from. I've been on a long jag with my Chubby 2s (own four and rotate), and have been moving away from my 2 bands. However, I still do like the occasional lather with my Shavemac 2 band silvertip set at 26mm x 46mm. If I venture back to the soft, stout 2-band side, I'm thinking of getting a Shavemac 2-band silvertip at either 28mm x 50mm or 29mm x 52mm.

18 279