08-03-2017, 09:53 AM
User Info
Feels strange. Using the pivot over your chin & jawline it's possible skip over without cutting much. It will take one of two more tries to get my technique right. On your cheeks  the angle feels quite natural to shave with.

As with most things I imagine this will be a love it or hate it razor.

If you like their Slim AL or other lightweight shavettes then you should like this safety razor. The blade does feel like it does in a good quality (half DE) shavette.

1 171
 08-03-2017, 10:54 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 09:53 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: Feels strange. Using the pivot over your chin & jawline it's possible skip over without cutting much. It will take one of two more tries to get my technique right. On your cheeks  the angle feels quite natural to shave with.

As with most things I imagine this will be a love it or hate it razor.

If you like their Slim AL or other lightweight shavettes then you should like this safety razor. The blade does feel like it does in a good quality (half DE) shavette.

Good review and info Paul, thanks. I'll report in once I receive it and can get in a shave with dot or two of growth.

7 568
 08-03-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
The actual shave will tell the story. The loading and unloading of the blade appears to be very easy with little chance of error. On the other hand the Rocnel 1/2 DE blade razor was a challenge to insert and remove the blade. It is a two piece razor with the head being one piece with a curved opening to insert 1/2 of a DE blade.. You have to be careful doing this. Removing the blade was even harder as you need to use your thumbnail to remove the blade from one end. To me the shave was just alright and nothing special. That razor required 1/2 blades from the factory.

122 13,217
 08-04-2017, 05:08 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 09:13 AM)kingfisher Wrote: To me it seems that the main benefit of an SE razor is the marvelous GEM PTFE blade and its incredible cutting power, mostly caused by its being thick and very solid.  Because of this thought process of mine, I can't even imagine wanting to try a razor that took a half a DE blade.  On top of that, the razor is not attractive to my eye.

+1

0 135
 08-04-2017, 05:24 AM
User Info
(08-04-2017, 05:08 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 09:13 AM)kingfisher Wrote: To me it seems that the main benefit of an SE razor is the marvelous GEM PTFE blade and its incredible cutting power, mostly caused by its being thick and very solid.  Because of this thought process of mine, I can't even imagine wanting to try a razor that took a half a DE blade.  On top of that, the razor is not attractive to my eye.

+1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.  I think it has a cool look to it.  Neat colors in the anodized aluminum and slim form factor for the handle.  I am intrigued by the idea of a half DE SE razor.   I am not one to want to try a half DE shavette at this point, so this will give me a feel for that kind of shave with a safety net.

1 99
 08-04-2017, 11:31 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I can't see in the video, but does it have blade stops to keep the cutting edge from creeping forward?

47 1,951
 08-04-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
No stops.

0 63
 08-04-2017, 03:23 PM
User Info
You can check out YouTube.
You can also google Focus razor and it will bring up some stuff about their Shavette and razor.
That's what I did.
I'm not so sure I want another OneBlade Core even though it uses a DE blade.
I did not like the way the Core shaved or rather the way you have to shave with it.
Which sounds exactly like the way the Focus operates.
Plus at the price of the razor with the stand I can find a lot of nice SE razors out their that I think probably shaves better.
You need to have the stand to use with the razor because of the way you add the blade to the razor.
You can do it without the stand but it's a chore if you watch the video

0 60
 08-05-2017, 04:48 AM
User Info
In the video I watched it took him longer to replace the blade with the stand than without it. I look at this as more of a gadget type item as it wouldn't be for daily use but for those guys that get 20+ shaves out of a DE blade, this already has the Core beat in blade longevity alone... I'll wait for some reviews to come in before I decide to pull the trigger on one.

3 84
 08-05-2017, 05:07 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 11:28 AM)slantman Wrote: The actual shave will tell the story. The loading and unloading of the blade appears to be very easy with little chance of error. On the other hand the Rocnel 1/2 DE blade razor was a challenge to insert and remove the blade. It is a two piece razor with the head being one piece with a curved opening to insert 1/2 of a DE blade.. You have to be careful doing this. Removing the blade was even harder as you need to use your thumbnail to remove the blade from one end. To me the shave was just alright and nothing special. That razor required 1/2 blades from the factory.

(08-05-2017, 04:48 AM)MikeL Wrote: In the video I watched it took him longer to replace the blade with the stand than without it. I look at this as more of a gadget type item as it wouldn't be for daily use but for those guys that get 20+ shaves out of a DE blade, this already has the Core beat in blade longevity alone... I'll wait for some reviews to come in before I decide to pull the trigger on one.

I agree with you.
I like the stand but I think I could spend my money better maybe, I don't know.
Waiting on reviews to come in too before I decide.
As it is I am going back and forth with whether or not I should purchase one.
Then have to figure out if the stand is worth it also.

0 60
 08-05-2017, 06:53 PM
User Info
I just discovered a new type of razor. This is a SE that uses a DE blade you snap in half. It has a pivot spring also. So it's another pivot razor. It looks pretty cool. It is made in Italy. The name is Focus Dynamic.
Here are a couple of pictures. It sells for $58. shipped to the USA.

[Image: TTM0HBX.jpg][Image: 9t8HFmR.jpg]

5 1,562
 08-05-2017, 07:03 PM
User Info
Looks interesting. Not a fan of splitting a blade but wonder if anyone can post some experience with it or if it's still to new?

148 3,601
 08-06-2017, 12:33 AM
User Info
(08-03-2017, 09:27 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: It will take me a while to get used to this, I have not used a pivot razor for a good while. Medium aggressive but super lightweight.

Focus recommend halved DE blades rather than the Shark/Derby Saloon blades. The break creates a spring to help secure & position the blade.

"For proper fixing it is advisable to use whole universal blades broken in half; this creates a slight curvature of the extremities in the area of the break, which once secured at the base of the razor head, creates a light pressure during the insertion of the movable head, this desired spring effect is essential & necessary for precise fixing & correct positioning of the blade."

33g solid anodised aluminium with stainless steel fixing pins in the head.

Best regards,

Paul

Would you say that this razor gives you irritation free shaves? Cheers Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 132
 08-06-2017, 06:31 AM
User Info
Well I ordered the black one. In the pass I did not care for razors that pivot. I simply hated the Gillette's cartridge razors. And the OneBlade gave a great shave but I found it too boring. It must be the "gadget factor" with this one that catches my eye. It's nice looking and not expensive. I give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll sell it. I ordered this one:

[Image: CFu1IGX.jpg]

5 1,562
 08-06-2017, 07:15 AM
User Info
(08-05-2017, 07:03 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Looks interesting. Not a fan of splitting a blade but wonder if anyone can post some experience with it or if it's still to new?

Got mine coming in on Monday.

Will post reviews.

18 655
 08-07-2017, 04:54 AM
User Info
Most DE blades are .004 thick but the Personna blades are .006 thick. I wonder if that will effect anything?

Has anyone tried a Personna blade in this?

5 1,562
 08-07-2017, 05:47 AM
User Info
(08-07-2017, 04:54 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Most DE blades are .004 thick but the Personna blades are .006 thick. I wonder if that will effect anything?

Kai blades are also reportedly thicker than most DE blades.  I'm not sure of their exact dimensions, though.  I think they may be even thicken than the Personna blades, but I could be wrong.  

In any event, 0.006 is still a pretty thin blade.  Not sure the 0.002 would make much of a difference in a real-world experiential sense.

2 1,555
 08-07-2017, 06:20 AM
User Info
(08-07-2017, 05:47 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(08-07-2017, 04:54 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Most DE blades are .004 thick but the Personna blades are .006 thick. I wonder if that will effect anything?

Kai blades are also reportedly thicker than most DE blades.  I'm not sure of their exact dimensions, though.  I think they may be even thicken than the Personna blades, but I could be wrong.  

In any event, 0.006 is still a pretty thin blade.  Not sure the 0.002 would make much of a difference in a real-world experiential sense.

I'll soon find out. As long as it locks in place it should be alright.

5 1,562
 08-07-2017, 09:08 AM
User Info
I took some pics without and with a blade. I used a Rapira Super Stainless blade, which I find is a good mid aggressive blade for me. Smooth yet efficient. As you can see, there is not much blade gap at all, but respectable blade exposure. I suspect this to be a mild shaver. Snapping a blade in half is simple while still in the wrapper. Loading the blade is pretty simple too. I founded it easier to place the curled side of blade (from the break) against the cap. Shave report coming tomorrow!

[Image: kxSpZTN.jpg]
[Image: ANj272H.jpg]
[Image: IXiwqsT.jpg]

7 568
 08-07-2017, 12:50 PM
User Info
Blade gap .25 - .28 according to youtube video.

122 13,217