08-08-2017, 12:23 PM
User Info
I have a number of badger , boar , and synthetic brushes and settled on a synthetic Whipped Dog. I used it for over a year and it was the softest one with a 24mm knot. It took over 3 mins to build a good lather , even with some top name soaps. A few days ago , I went through my collection and found that the Whipped Dog was the worst performer , it wiped the surface instead of digging into the soap. It's now in a PIF box. My Revelation - crappy shaves may not be the soaps fault but the brush. Now I use one that is able to load in 30 second , like HIS , Muhel STF , Plisson type and a Whipped Dog badger.

14 10
 08-08-2017, 05:00 PM
User Info
I think there's a bigger lesson here than just brushes. Once you stepped back and analyzed the problem, you found a solution. A lot of people probably have similar issues and jump to similar conclusions - this soap sucks, or these blades are awful, etc. when you take a step back and analyze the problem, you may be able to adjust.

0 1,053
 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM
User Info
I believe that the old and tired ... YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) is seldom more true than it is with wet shaving ...

You have some with coarse facial hair, others with fine, some have sensitive skin - others ... not so much.  

Then you have boar, badger, synthetic and even horse brushes  ... DE, SE, Straight, Cart ... aggressive? mild?  

There are soaps, creams .... balms ... pre-shave oils ... 

When you look at it ... there is something for literally everyone.

So - if you find something that isn't working for you - someone else will want it, use it, and love it .... it's all about finding what works for you.

Sometimes you don't find 'what works' until you find a lot of 'what doesn't work' ... in that way - even 'failures' move you closer to the goal of a 'perfect shave'

2 176
 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM
User Info
Some guys have reported good results with the Whipped Dog synthetic.  Your experience shows the importance of trying different products and working on your technique to determine what is best for you.

48 5,716
 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM
User Info
I really liked that brush . Maybe someone will like it more.

14 10
 08-09-2017, 04:29 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I ordered a 30mm Whipped Dog synthetic brush from Larry in August of 2015.  It's my favorite brush and I've tried a lot of high end brushes since I've received the Whipped Dog.  It lathers like crazy, loads like a champ, and it's super soft on my face, it's got plenty of backbone without being overly springy.  If I notice the performance of my brush is starting to drop off I'll clean it with dish soap and and small amount of vinegar.  I do the same thing with my badger brushes.  Maybe cleaning your brush will improve it's performance?

8 1,289
 08-09-2017, 09:47 AM
User Info
I've cleaned it with borax and water , I'll try the vinegar.

14 10
 08-09-2017, 12:48 PM
User Info
I'm with Sully on this one... I have a 24mm that I bought from Larry back in January and its my top performer. I'd say on average from load to bowl to face its approx 1 - 1 1/2 minutes and I usually have enough yogerty lather to do about 6 passes on average. Whats the lesson of the day? As 1981 Eagle put it....YMMV.... I think a good cleaning will probably make things better and if not, I'm sure someone would be willing to take it off your hands!!

0 52
 08-09-2017, 01:21 PM
User Info
Love my whipped dog synth.  Ain't it strange how different we all are.  In fact I'd bet if the world knew we all sat around this campfire called the Nook talking about shaving they might think we were a little nuts.

2 133
 08-09-2017, 07:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My wife would agree with you!

4 1,915