08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
User Info
I recently made a thread here asking for new brush suggestions and in the end decided to purchase my first high end brush, a Paladin. The brush looks great, but I noticed that after cleaning there is always a certain pure white patch on the brush standing out from the surrounding creamy white hairs. The difference isn't as noticeable when the brush is dried, it only becomes apparent after the hairs are wet. The hairs feel different in that area as well, where it feels more springy and clumps together more compared to its surroundings. At first I suspected it was dried soap I hadn't washed properly, but even after repeated warm water rinses and massaging the hairs, that area was still the same. It was hard to photograph the differences since it doesn't show up well in my phone's camera, but I've added a photo that I hope shows the issue.

[Image: 20170809_155227.jpg]
http://imgur.com/a/PppkO

It almost looks like during production the knot wasn't big enough, so the makers took a pinch of hair from a different batch and added it in. This is probably a minor issue, but since this was my first premium brush purchase I was expecting the hairs to be more uniform like the TGN silvertip and simpsons brushes I have.

Is this sort of patchiness in the hairs a common occurrence for large knots (and Paladins specifically) and is it something people just learn to live with? Or would this be considered a problem and is there a way to fix it?

0 7
 08-09-2017, 04:19 PM
User Info
I haven't run across this type problem, or have purchased from this vendor, but I'd try a friendly e-mail inquiry to the vendor on any perceived defect.  He's in a better position or alleviate your apprehension or correct a defect which is detectable only when wet, looking to keep potential repeat customers happy.  I hope this helps and isn't intended as a criticism of your thread.

1 181
 08-09-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
No worries, I appreciate the help. I did consider contacting the vendor directly, but figured I should probably ask around and see if it really is an issue before doing so. Would be pretty embarrassing if I asked and it turns out to be a commonly accepted quirk (like the varying quality of simpsons best hair) known to everyone but me. Blush

0 7
 08-09-2017, 05:41 PM
User Info
(08-09-2017, 03:33 PM)5370H55V Wrote: I recently made a thread here asking for new brush suggestions and in the end decided to purchase my first high end brush, a Paladin. The brush looks great, but I noticed that after cleaning there is always a certain pure white patch on the brush standing out from the surrounding creamy white hairs. The difference isn't as noticeable when the brush is dried, it only becomes apparent after the hairs are wet. The hairs feel different in that area as well, where it feels more springy and clumps together more compared to its surroundings. At first I suspected it was dried soap I hadn't washed properly, but even after repeated warm water rinses and massaging the hairs, that area was still the same. It was hard to photograph the differences since it doesn't show up well in my phone's camera, but I've added a photo that I hope shows the issue.

[Image: 20170809_155227.jpg]
http://imgur.com/a/PppkO

It almost looks like during production the knot wasn't big enough, so the makers took a pinch of hair from a different batch and added it in. This is probably a minor issue, but since this was my first premium brush purchase I was expecting the hairs to be more uniform like the TGN silvertip and simpsons brushes I have.

Is this sort of patchiness in the hairs a common occurrence for large knots (and Paladins specifically) and is it something people just learn to live with? Or would this be considered a problem and is there a way to fix it?
I have a brush that displays that anomaly as well. If you contact Ken, I would be interested in his response.

39 3,918
 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
What does the knot feel like when you're lathering? Can you feel any kind of a difference then?

7 2,121
 08-10-2017, 06:31 AM
User Info
I think that's from one part of the knot getting bleached a bit more than the rest.

16 152
 08-10-2017, 07:40 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have a one-off Paladin from last year's charity auction that has the same irregularity.  In use it makes no difference as the knot feels wonderful on my face.  It does bother me a little bit, but not enough to complain to Ken and certainly not enough to mention publicly (except here, to assure you that you're not alone).

The small spot of unmatched hair is a bit more gel-like and can be seen here in the middle of the knot:
[Image: muMRMka.jpg]

A closer look:
[Image: yUsgYTg.jpg]

Even closer:
[Image: zhHPAg4.jpg]

The rest of the hair clumps together, but not as "gooey" in appearance:
[Image: qlCeeEx.jpg]

144 2,745