08-10-2017, 10:55 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I now own three Gem style razors. These razors are swiftly becoming my favorite razors. However, I find the Gem blades, although sharp, are poorly finished on the edges. My first few shaves with a new Gem are far from smooth shaves. I have tried hand stropping the blades but there has not been too much improvement in my initial shaves. Lately, what I have found most effective, for stropping a new Gem is a sink strop. Namely, I hold the blade flat against the porcelain sink press the blade flat and move the blade in the direction of the collar. That is away from the cutting edge half way around the sink. Then flip over the blade and make a one-half rotation in the other direction. For me much better results than a hand strop . If done correctly, this method should not dull the blade.

70 1,098
 08-10-2017, 12:39 PM
User Info
Interesting idea.  I have never heard of this before.  

I would be worried about introducing bacteria to the blade if I stropped it this way.  I generally palm strop about 11 times in each direction prior to the first shave.  It seems to be sufficient, at least for me.

2 1,555
 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(08-10-2017, 12:39 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Interesting idea.  I have never heard of this before.  

I would be worried about introducing bacteria to the blade if I stropped it this way.  I generally palm strop about 11 times in each direction prior to the first shave.  It seems to be sufficient, at least for me.

If the possibiity of bacteria contamination is a concern. A quick alcohol wipe after the strop should solve the problem.

70 1,098
 08-10-2017, 01:43 PM
User Info
I'm glad that this works for you Barry.  If you like these razors enough, this process is worth it to you.  If I had to strop blades on a porcelain sink and disinfect them with alcohol prior to using them, I would conclude that they were not for me.  Just my perspective on it.

51 6,436
 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM
User Info
I look forward to the first shave on a GEM SS PTFE blade, it's extremely sharp and smooth for me. Light touch and shadow angle.

I use a MMOC and a 1912 that is more efficient than the MMOC. I use the GEM and Schick Proline AC blade pretty exclusively. I shave daily face and head.

If you switch between DE and SE, the DE blades are probably tearing up your face and then when you use the GEM blade, you really feel it.

I'm just guessing, I don't strop, I BBS my face and head everyday, I get very little sting.

0 82
 08-10-2017, 04:09 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(08-10-2017, 01:43 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm glad that this works for you Barry.  If you like these razors enough, this process is worth it to you.  If I had to strop blades on a porcelain sink and disinfect them with alcohol prior to using them, I would conclude that they were not for me.  Just my perspective on it.
You only have to do that prior to the first use. I don't waste the alcohol on the blade. The alcohol is for me as a reward for shaving. The blade is good for about 10 shaves after that. Can't say as much for the alcohol.

70 1,098
 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
(08-10-2017, 04:09 PM)Barrylu Wrote:
(08-10-2017, 01:43 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm glad that this works for you Barry.  If you like these razors enough, this process is worth it to you.  If I had to strop blades on a porcelain sink and disinfect them with alcohol prior to using them, I would conclude that they were not for me.  Just my perspective on it.
You only have to do that prior to the first use. I don't waste the alcohol on the blade. The alcohol is for me as a reward for shaving. The blade is good for about 10 shaves after that. Can't say as much for the alcohol.

Got it.  Thanks for the clarification.

51 6,436