08-11-2017, 04:16 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Found today: a beautiful Art Nouveau period Roger & Gallet ceramic shaving soap container, made in Sarraguemines, France, c.1890, but dating no later than 1900 going by the pattern and design. Two minor fleabites to the rim. Easy to find in a Google search, but none as good as this example IMO. Transfer-ware, in an interesting green. I don't usually collect objects like this, but what's a man to do? 

Pictures:

[Image: Tf1LZmo.jpg]

[Image: tbdI5VG.jpg]

[Image: ea9omxk.jpg]

0 1,815
 08-11-2017, 04:20 AM
User Info
It's beautiful Shaun.  How wide is the opening?

50 6,277
 08-11-2017, 04:46 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
That's fantastic!

11 686
 08-11-2017, 04:47 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Inside rim measurement: 5.5cm.

0 1,815
 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Those old R&G pots are beautiful and I have been sorely tempted when I have run across them.  If I do find one at a bargain price I will surely grab it for display purposes. 

Shaun, do you plan on putting product in it for use or just keep it on display?

145 2,808
 08-11-2017, 03:26 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(08-11-2017, 09:51 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Those old R&G pots are beautiful and I have been sorely tempted when I have run across them.  If I do find one at a bargain price I will surely grab it for display purposes. 

Shaun, do you plan on putting product in it for use or just keep it on display?

Hi Dave - no,  I won't be putting product in it. I just like the way it looks. It's a medium-sized object. Actually, it's one of the issues that I have with hard soap containers; sometimes the mouth just doesn't seem wide enough and lather spills out and over the sides.

In this pot, I'd say the product was a kind of croap, but I couldn't really say. There's no way an opening that wide/narrow could be used to work up a lather. A brush would kinda just be dipped in, I suspect.

Yes, a bargain price would always be good. I saw one of these went on a US site for what I think it far too much money, really, like $200. I paid less than $24 US to to give you some idea, and it was on a shelf, too, so no postage , either.

Hope you find one. Best wishes Dave.

0 1,815
 08-11-2017, 10:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Shaun, that's the single most beautiful shaving accessory I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing Smile

7 2,288
 08-11-2017, 11:04 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(08-11-2017, 10:40 PM)chazt Wrote: Shaun, that's the single most beautiful shaving accessory I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing Smile
I agree that it's beautiful, Chatz. In future, I'll keep an eye out for others and ones like it. I really am uncertain as to the value of objects like this, though, but if I do find others and they are at bargain prices, I suppose I could make them available to fellow Nookers who would like one. I don't think I'm like to see them so very often though, but then again, I haven't really been looking, either. I will from now on. Cheers, Shaun

0 1,815
 08-12-2017, 04:01 PM
User Info
Very cool, what a great addition to the shave den.

6 775