08-12-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
A friend sent me some coffee from Puerto Rico, unfortunately this is the only way I can thank him because his mail box is too full to accept another message.

Thanks! I'll make some Sous Vide coffee tomorrow to give it a taste. It smells great!

32 6,465
 08-12-2017, 02:03 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Lucky man. PR coffee is outstanding.

169 1,419
 08-12-2017, 09:13 PM
User Info
I just wish I was a more sophisticated coffee aficionado to better appreciate it. But because my sport of choice demands rock steady hands, and caffeine induces shakes to work against that, I've put any caffeine consumption into a very special time for consumption. I'll have a last window of opportunity for the month tomorrow.

No, I'm not a great competitor, but I do my best and caffeine works against me (I compete against myself). Us old farts need every advantage we can get. :-)

32 6,465
 08-13-2017, 03:45 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
you don't need to be an aficionado to appreciate good coffee.  Just enjoy!

Now you've got me curious...would you happen to be a sport shooter?

169 1,419
 08-13-2017, 03:57 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(08-13-2017, 03:45 AM)Steelman Wrote: you don't need to be an aficionado to appreciate good coffee.  Just enjoy!

Now you've got me curious...would you happen to be a sport shooter?

Me too.  I've never heard of sous vide coffee.  Would you describe the process?

8 1,395
 08-13-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
My guess would be competition shooting as well. Narrowed further, handgun.
There are all kinds of "tricks of the trade" from abstinence to consumption.

0 192
 08-13-2017, 04:55 AM
User Info
I have a similar hobby, but I do better a cup or two of coffee in me - I guess it's the addiction Tongue

Googling for sous vide coffee gives quite a few results. It seems to be an interesting middle ground between 'normal' hot brewing and the cold brew I sometimes do in summer (cool water and 24 hours brew time).

3 4,587
 08-13-2017, 06:45 AM
User Info
Correct. I shoot USPSA action pistol as a senior shooter in Carry Optics and PCC divisions, and have just begun shooting Steel Challenge. Next month I'll be a super senior shooter. I don't shoot because I'm good, but to get better and to stay sharp and it's working. But I'd be a better shooter if I didn't pull such boneheaded procedural errors, but once the timer sounds all bets are off. It's just the targets and me after the sound and then I'm on auto pilot.  I first learned of my negative reaction to caffeine when shooting bullseye decades ago. It was good for a 30 point drop in score. Back then I wouldn't consume on the day of a match, today I have caffeine rarely and never on match day.

SV coffee

14g ground coffee
1 3/4 cups of water

Put it in a lidded container and SV for 1 hour @ 185°F.

:-) And with that my SV coffee is ready for me.

32 6,465
 08-13-2017, 07:09 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I lived in PR for 4 years. The people in coffee country there had a way of making coffee that was quite unique. The trouble with it was that a cup of coffee would grow hair on your chest. They placed the grounds in a white cotton sock. Then placed the sock in a pot of boiling water. They boiled the water until most of it evaporated. The tar like mixture that remained was scooped out put in a jar and refrigerated. When someone wanted a cup of coffee a spoonful of the distillate was added to a cup of hot water. It was kind of like making your own instant only much more flavorful and strong without bitterness.

70 1,080
 08-13-2017, 07:19 AM
User Info
That's certainly a different technique Barry.

FWIW this is a good cup of coffee. I'm not coffee "experienced" enough to describe it better than that. I'll be peeing like a racehorse for the next few hours, but that doesn't hurt once in a while.

32 6,465
 08-13-2017, 08:11 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
PR is where I got hooked on coffee. From there it has become a lifetime passion. The Jevaros. Country folk who lived in the mountains, farmed and grew coffee were some of the finest people I ever met. I worked for the VA in the city. Health care was free. However, whenever one of the Jevaroes was a patient of mine they always showed up with a gift. Usually, vegetables or coffee. However, once I received two live chickens.

70 1,080
 08-13-2017, 09:50 AM
User Info
Interesting.

Oddly enough it's not having the typical diuretic effect that other coffees have on me.

32 6,465
 08-13-2017, 02:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-12-2017, 12:01 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: A friend sent me some coffee from Puerto Rico, unfortunately this is the only way I can thank him because his mail box is too full to accept another message.

Thanks! I'll make some Sous Vide coffee tomorrow to give it a taste. It smells great!

Not odd, but unexpected, the same friend sent some Puerto Rican coffee to me also; it arrived yesterday.  I tried to send a PM to thank him, but received the same error message that you did.  Fortunately, the box containing the coffee had his return address on it, so I have written a thank you note to send via snail mail.  You probably will get to try the coffee before we shall, because we are heading out of town to spend the upcoming week at a (different) friend's home.  I shall be interested to see your assessment that I can have in mind when we are in a position to try the coffee in the latter part of August.

1 1,102