08-25-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
Personally, I think there should be a rule about selling items on the B/S/T forum for profit. 'For profit' doesn't necessarily mean someone is a vendor, but if someone is trying to hawk items for more than they paid for them, I think is bad for the community.

0 241
 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
 08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Makes perfect sense to this newbie.

19 591
 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This forum is different from many others, one of the differences is their "rules". Too many rules are not good. Why would you want this rule? You see something for sale that you want at the price you are willing to pay, that's it! Why do you feel the need to have it policed?

88 4,233
 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
(08-25-2012, 11:22 AM)beartrap Wrote: This forum is different from many others, one of the differences is their "rules". Too many rules are not good. Why would you want this rule? You see something for sale that you want at the price you are willing to pay, that's it! Why do you feel the need to have it policed?

+1

I was (well, technically still are) a moderator on a more tech oriented board with a Personal Sales section, and about half the PMs I got were about how unfair the rules were and why they shouldn't apply for the person complaining - never mind the fact that I could do nothing about it.

One thing I like about TSN is the laid back, common sense approach to things. Let's keep it that way.

3 3,578
 08-25-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
Good idea in theory, but how would you enforce it? How much margin is too much?

Besides, what you're talking about is called arbitrage and is really buying & selling for a profit, making said person a hobbyist/vendor in fact and practice.

As for a regular forum member who happens to buy something really cheap, doesn't like it, then happens to get back more than he paid for it... well, good for him. I'm not going to throw stones at him/her unless s/he does it often.

9 2,988
 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
To put things in prospective, I was moderating a travel forum. Those rules only cause problems, nothing good ever comes of it, just fighting and bickering. Use common sense, if you see something out of line, it can be politely pointed out in the thread reply. Saying "I've seen it on sale in Walmart for $1 less" will not work.

88 4,233
 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I like the way the BST is run here and if you think someone is making a profit or selling something for far more than they paid for it then feel free to PM them or PM a mod. I think the marketplace here is full of fine and savvy ladies and gentleman who are willing to lower prices to get something sold if they so desire. If someone doesn't want to pay XX amount of dollars for something then it will sit here until it's lowered to a price someone wants to pay.

116 3,804
 08-25-2012, 12:36 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Gary, I have to disagree with you on this one for the reasons stated by others. Frankly, for the most part I think such a rule would be almost impossible to keep up with. While I understand your rationale, I think in most instances the members here are true ladies and gentlemen. Will there be exceptions to this? From time to time probably yes. If so then I think the administrators and moderators need to look at particularly egregious instances on a case by case basis but I don't see a general rule to cover all cases as workable.

2 11,211
 08-25-2012, 01:41 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(08-25-2012, 12:25 PM)Dave Wrote: I think the marketplace here is full of fine and savvy ladies and gentleman who are willing to lower prices to get something sold if they so desire. If someone doesn't want to pay XX amount of dollars for something then it will sit here until it's lowered to a price someone wants to pay.

agreed... plus, as an example, folks will take their wares to something like ebay to make a profit if they really want to gain more than they paid for an item...

case in point- those fine plastic(off-white) slant razors that many bought up quickly off the bay from a person... well, now one is on sale on ebay, the bids are rising.

the person selling stated they bought two of the razors, but at least took one to the 'bay to try to get their profit.

people wanting to make more than what they paid for it, will eventually take it out of the B/S/T and take it to a bidding site.

9 1,684
 08-25-2012, 02:03 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(08-25-2012, 01:41 PM)gijames Wrote:
(08-25-2012, 12:25 PM)Dave Wrote: I think the marketplace here is full of fine and savvy ladies and gentleman who are willing to lower prices to get something sold if they so desire. If someone doesn't want to pay XX amount of dollars for something then it will sit here until it's lowered to a price someone wants to pay.

agreed... plus, as an example, folks will take their wares to something like ebay to make a profit if they really want to gain more than they paid for an item...

case in point- those fine plastic(off-white) slant razors that many bought up quickly off the bay from a person... well, now one is on sale on ebay, the bids are rising.

the person selling stated they bought two of the razors, but at least took one to the 'bay to try to get their profit.

people wanting to make more than what they paid for it, will eventually take it out of the B/S/T and take it to a bidding site.

An excellent point.

2 11,211
 08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
User Info
OK, I was looking at things differently. In the 4+ years I've participated in the shaving forums I've bought and sold maybe 2 things. But, if that's how B/S/T forums are run, so be it.

0 241
 08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I like the way it's set up now and this is why...Someone could find a nice Fat Boy somewhere for $10 by blind luck. He could then sell it on the B/S/T forum here for $40. A great price for the buyer and the seller is still making a profit. Just because the seller is making profit does not mean the buyer is unhappy with the deal their getting.

45 3,955
 08-25-2012, 04:13 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
If I don't like the price I'll ask the seller if they will take what I'm willing to pay. If they decline then I hope that they find a buyer that will pay their asking price but I'll move on the another item. I don't really care if the seller makes a profit as long as I feel I've got a good deal then I'm happy and the the seller is happy they made the sale.

the bottom line is if you don't like the price don't buy the item.

3 497
 08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
i do not see any problems with the way the BST is run at the moment. i have seen some things a bit over-priced and have decided not to buy them. i have not noticed too many people complaining about anyone making a profit, yet, and i hope it remains as such.
Thanks for raising the issue so we could discuss it openly.

75 20,883
 08-25-2012, 07:06 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Gary-

Thanks for bringing up the topic. It's great to see members weigh in with their views.

I'm in the Free to Choose camp. If you see an item that floats your boat at a price that you're willing to pay, then you have a buying opportunity.

If the price value equation doesn't work for you, then you're free to pass.

So far, the rules here are working satisfactorily as far as I can tell.

Happy B/S/T ing.

47 1,378
 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM
User Info
too much work involved to continually check up on what is and isn't a 'fair' price.

40 5,830
 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I, like many others enjoy the advantage we are afforded by the inclusion of a B/S/T on our forum. It's a privilege that enables me to try more hardware and software with the confidence of knowing that if it doesn't suit me it's likely someone else will want to give it a try.

The "profit" arising from a B/S/T is more products being circulated, tried and reviewed. IMO it benefits everyone. The seller continues to buy more products as some of the initial investment is recouped and put towards the next item. The buyer obtains a currently available product at a reduced price or CHOOSES to pay an amount asked for a difficult to source or no longer produced item. I don't believe it takes sales away from vendors (it more likely encourages extra sales) and I honestly can't see members regularly making any money from their sales (I know I haven't and I've utilised the B/S/T quite a bit!)

In the hypothetical scenario of a member, spending their weekends canvasing antique stores for old razors, then hours afterwork cleaning and restoring them, I would expect and hope that they would factor some of their time and effort involved into their asking price.

Rules are definitely useful. They define accepted behaviours and clearly establish boundaries and promote transparency. However, I'm of the opinion that gentlemanly behaviour and common sense should be sufficient to ensure the continuation of fair trade on our B/S/T...

If something arises that needs to be questioned PM the poster and a mod.

Otherwise it it ain't* broke...

* For Jerry and others like myself that are concerned with the correct usage of the English language: "The use of ain't was widespread in the 18th century and is still perfectly normal in many dialects and informal contexts... however, it does not form part of standard English and should not be used in formal contexts."

91 17,851
 08-25-2012, 08:09 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Ben, virtually everyone says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That expression has worked its way into the lexicon and the more stilted, "If it is not broken then do not fix it", doesn't quite work, does it? Tongue

2 11,211
 08-25-2012, 08:13 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
If the "ain't" ain't broke... Tongue

88 4,233