09-19-2017, 08:55 PM
User Info
Dang that is too bad I was really looking forward to this one

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 57
 09-20-2017, 02:20 AM
User Info
Tried the revised baseplate a second time this morning. It was better than yesterday. It took me some extra time and care, but the results were significantly improved. I'm still on the fence about keeping it as I have lots of razors that effortlessly provide closer shaves at this point. But the shave was good enough today to try it again tomorrow. Again, I really like the design and the looks of the razor so I'd like it to work for me.

3 737
 09-20-2017, 06:33 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I am afraid I have to agree with the poster above me. I had my first shave with the new baseplate yesterday. I tried a few different angles during the shave. However, no amount of buffing or trys resulted in a clean shave my jawline on the right side of my face, alongside my mouth bilaterally or my upper lip. Even when I thought these areas were acceptable within a few hours after the shave these areas needed touch ups again. I too like the design of the razor and am willing to give it a few more trys. I had really hoped that this razor would be a bit more aggressive than the Sabre. I didn't want to have to buy a second baseplate for the Saber and have to keep changing baseplates in response to my shaving needs of the day.

68 1,068
 09-21-2017, 02:58 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Had to return the razor today.On the second shave, I had to keep buffing my problem areas. I like a milder razor than most as a rule. However, I find this razor to be a bit too mild. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it. The design is excellent and it is very well made.Hopefully, other baseplates will be in the offering soon.

68 1,068
 09-21-2017, 06:41 PM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
(09-21-2017, 02:58 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Had to return the razor today.On the second shave, I had to keep buffing my problem areas. I like a milder razor than most as a rule. However, I find this razor to be a bit too mild. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it. The design is excellent and it is very well made.Hopefully, other baseplates will be in the offering soon.

Did the razor have the latest base plate. My understanding the revised plate made the razor a bit less mild.

0 24
 09-21-2017, 06:55 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(09-21-2017, 06:41 PM)shaveR41 Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 02:58 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Had to return the razor today.On the second shave, I had to keep buffing my problem areas. I like a milder razor than most as a rule. However, I find this razor to be a bit too mild. It's a shame because I really wanted to like it. The design is excellent and it is very well made.Hopefully, other baseplates will be in the offering soon.

Did the razor have the latest base plate. My understanding the revised plate made the razor a bit less mild.
Yes, this was the new plate.It's less mild than the first one but not too much or enough of an improvement

68 1,068
 09-22-2017, 04:23 AM
User Info
Still waiting for my new head to get here.

0 127
 09-24-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
Well, the G1 head finally arrived yesterday and I mated it with a Timeless Plaid handle and used it this morning.

What bugs me. 

The little hook thingie that holds it all together needs to be rethought. Small part, old age, dropsy and cats simply don't work well with little bitty parts. 

What I liked.

Once all the pieces parts were together the razor was sturdy, pretty and stable.  The shave was really surprising.  This is the very first modern razor where it simply felt right from the moment I put it to my face.  There was absolutely no learning curve. A two pass & touch very first shave resulted in a truly PDG shave that was as good as I get from the razors I have been using for over a half century.

I had tried the earlier version GEM razor from ATT but we just didn't fit.  I could not get a really PDG shave no matter how many passes or what pre-shave prep I used.  It looked far but felt foul. With this iteration though ATT seems to have gotten it right. I would say that today's shave may have been one of the best GEM format shaves I have ever had and one of the most pleasant shave from any blade format.

Summary.

Great razor and great shave BUT...
is it so much better that the price can be justified?  Probably not. Yet every once in a while I enjoy steak instead of brisket, real milkshakes instead of frozen custard. I consider this razor simply another simple pleasure.

0 127