08-14-2017, 07:24 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
The beauty of Cobalt. To me most of the photo's I have seen of the Cobalt coloring has been very uninviting, none have ever shown me the depth of its color character. Except for the Paladin photo's that captured that gloss finish, that shine gave me the thought that I should consider giving it a second look or maybe purchase. I purchased a Cobalt and was very pleasantly surprised at its unique character (As of last Sat. I have traded it for another brush, it was a knot thing not a handle color thing. I will purchase another Paladin Cobalt in the near future).

Please let me clarify one fact so there is no misunderstanding, I traded the Cobalt Pal (26) for another Paladin (28). I have a number of Paladins, 4 of them with the same or very close to the same loft and free loft specs. So when looking at the BTS I spotted a Pal that had specs that I did not have, a handle I liked and a knot size I only had one of (28), I wanted it. So I initiated a very tempting trade that I felt the seller could not refuse. 

[Image: ee66uKB.jpg] [Image: tDDPJQS.jpg]

66 824
 08-14-2017, 07:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, it is a very beautiful color. If you don't mind me asking, what were your expectations for the knot?

19 5,475
 08-15-2017, 10:26 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(08-14-2017, 07:29 PM)chazt Wrote: Yes, it is a very beautiful color. If you don't mind me asking, what were your expectations for the knot?

I just updated my post because I should have clarified the trade which had nothing to do with my not liking the knot but a size and loft specs that I did not have and wanted. The knot in the Cobalt 26 is a 2CSLE4 which is set at 52 loft 48 free loft which gaves it strong backbone for a excellent face lathering message, but I already have 3 other Paladins with the same of very close to the same lofts. The Brush that caught my attention was also an El Dorado 28 2CSLD4 with a loft of 56 free loft of 54. I only have one other 28 and not another Paladin with those loft specs. I wanted it, so I initiated a very tempting trade offer I felt the seller would except, which he did. Now I want another Cobalt.

66 824
 08-15-2017, 12:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-15-2017, 10:26 AM)bijou Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 07:29 PM)chazt Wrote: Yes, it is a very beautiful color. If you don't mind me asking, what were your expectations for the knot?

I just updated my post because I should have clarified the trade which had nothing to do with my not liking the knot but a size and loft specs that I did not have and wanted. The knot in the Cobalt 26 is a 2CSLE4 which is set at 52 loft 46 free loft which gaves it strong backbone for a excellent face lathering message, but I already have 3 other Paladins with the same of very close to the same lofts. The Brush that caught my attention was also an El Dorado 28 2CSLD4 with a loft of 56 free loft of 54. I only have one other 28 and not another Paladin with those loft specs. I wanted it, so I initiated a very tempting trade offer I felt the seller would except, which he did. Now I want another Cobalt.

I understand what you mean. It's pretty fascinating how such small incremental differences in mm (!!) can affect how the brush feels.

We're a bunch of geeks, is what we are Biggrin

19 5,475
 08-15-2017, 12:42 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(08-15-2017, 12:31 PM)chazt Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 10:26 AM)bijou Wrote:

I just updated my post because I should have clarified the trade which had nothing to do with my not liking the knot but a size and loft specs that I did not have and wanted. The knot in the Cobalt 26 is a 2CSLE4 which is set at 52 loft 46 free loft which gaves it strong backbone for a excellent face lathering message, but I already have 3 other Paladins with the same of very close to the same lofts. The Brush that caught my attention was also an El Dorado 28 2CSLD4 with a loft of 56 free loft of 54. I only have one other 28 and not another Paladin with those loft specs. I wanted it, so I initiated a very tempting trade offer I felt the seller would except, which he did. Now I want another Cobalt.

I understand what you mean. It's pretty fascinating how such small incremental differences in mm (!!) can affect how the brush feels.

We're a bunch of geeks, is what we are Biggrin

You are so very right. My rotation now comes to 11 brushes 8 being Paladins with different knots, sizes, head shapes and loft specs. Those differences in the Paladins makes each brush very different from each other. I plan on writing a piece on this in the next few weeks. Yes it is fun being a brush geek.

66 824
 08-16-2017, 10:34 AM
User Info
I absolutely love the cobalt brushes but I feel too they don't get the respect they deserve kind of like Ivory colored brushes now. Yes there are people that love them but they are few as it seems that we have gravitated more towards bright and wild colors and styles. I like colors but I also keep the classics on hand for the more traditional themed shaves.

7 60
 08-24-2017, 07:56 AM
User Info
(08-16-2017, 10:34 AM)mdwolfie86 Wrote: I absolutely love the cobalt brushes but I feel too they don't get the respect they deserve kind of like Ivory colored brushes now. Yes there are people that love them but they are few as it seems that we have gravitated more towards bright and wild colors and styles. I like colors but I also keep the classics on hand for the more traditional themed shaves.

I've always been mesmerized by Cobalt and find it unique yet very classy as well. It jumps out to you but not in a way that just bright colors (lime, pink, etc) do (mentioned above) and it still manages to capture your attention.

I actually have my first M&F in Cobalt on the way and I cannot wait to get it.

14 159
 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
If I were to buy a brush with less than 3 colors in the handle, Cobalt would be my first and possibly only choice.  I do admit to seeing some nice Limey colors recently (Wilborg for example)

17 970
 08-24-2017, 11:27 AM
User Info
These photos Florian took before he sent me the brushe

[Image: SGEjGlB.jpg]

0 293
 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM
User Info
I could not get the second in.

[Image: YbklLdK.jpg]

0 293
 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(08-24-2017, 11:27 AM)Tidepool Wrote: These photos Florian took before he sent me the brushe

Just asking - what is the process to be added to any order list at Wilborg?
PS: really nice looking brush!

17 970
 08-25-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
(08-24-2017, 12:51 PM)SCOV Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 11:27 AM)Tidepool Wrote: These photos Florian took before he sent me the brushe

I will admit that Florian really takes his time and you have to know how to deal with him.  His brushes became very popular and a lot of people wanted them.  It is my belief that he wants to stay a one man shop and remain small.  Because he is small he is not required to collect VAT.  I own four of his brushes and I have a written commitment from him to make a few more brushes.  However, I follow the Euro and it's conversation rate to US Dollars.  I use a bench mark of 169 € and several months ago it converted to $179-$182.  Now it is around $200.  If I purchase four more brushes I am paying an additional $80.  I'll wait.  Have you written him?  If so, has he responded?

0 293
 11-17-2017, 11:55 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I miss the Paladin cobalt with white lettering and a beautiful knot that I traded away to another TSNer. On the Paladin website there are some cobalt's to choose from but 1- they had black lettering, 2- there were handles that I do not use and 3- I want a specific loft.  Yesterday Paladin put out a new grouping of brushes for sale and low and behold there appeared a cobalt Chief with white lettering and the loft dimensions I liked, I immediately scooped it up, this one i'm keeping.
[Image: qPmEZ6R.jpg]

66 824
 11-19-2017, 08:55 AM
User Info
I love the el dorado handle! I hope to add one of those to the den in the future

12 663
 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 06:49 AM)Tidepool Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 12:51 PM)SCOV Wrote:

I will admit that Florian really takes his time and you have to know how to deal with him.  His brushes became very popular and a lot of people wanted them.  It is my belief that he wants to stay a one man shop and remain small.  Because he is small he is not required to collect VAT.  I own four of his brushes and I have a written commitment from him to make a few more brushes.  However, I follow the Euro and it's conversation rate to US Dollars.  I use a bench mark of 169 € and several months ago it converted to $179-$182.  Now it is around $200.  If I purchase four more brushes I am paying an additional $80.  I'll wait.  Have you written him?  If so, has he responded?

Beautiful Brush Tidepool!!

I eventually decided to email him a few days ago but have not received a response yet. I will give it some time Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 69
 11-28-2017, 01:23 PM
User Info
(11-17-2017, 11:55 AM)bijou Wrote: I miss the Paladin cobalt with white lettering and a beautiful knot that I traded away to another TSNer. On the Paladin website there are some cobalt's to choose from but 1- they had black lettering, 2- there were handles that I do not use and 3- I want a specific loft.  Yesterday Paladin put out a new grouping of brushes for sale and low and behold there appeared a cobalt Chief with white lettering and the loft dimensions I liked, I immediately scooped it up, this one i'm keeping.
[Image: qPmEZ6R.jpg]

Holy Moly that is a beauty!

0 119