08-15-2017, 02:17 AM
User Info
I'm sure I'm doing pretty much every single thing wrong when it comes to this, but I've shaved my head twice now without neither slicing my noggin to ribbons nor leaving tufts of hairs... so I can't be that far off the mark.

Usually I get help buzzing my head with some decent clippers. Since I'm on the go for right now, I had to take matters in my own hands - I had a hair colour, and that means my hair was longer than I like.

What you'll need:
  • Some form of clippers, if you wait as long between shaving your head as I have been.
  • A razor, and based on other peoples comments here on the Nook, I decided against a DE.
  • A brush, and I picked my cheap synth since it was next to my BiC in the bag.
  • Shaving soap, and stick seemed sensible to me.
  • A handheld mirror, as well as wall mounted mirror
  • Aftershave or moisturizer.

[Image: IMG_1972.JPG]

Start by buzzing of as much as possible of the hair, using the mirrors to make sure you haven't missed any spots. Rinse well. Apply soap and lather. Shave carefully, using the mirror and avoid any pressure. Rinse and repeat. Wash any remaining soap off, inspect and apply aftershave and/or moisturizer. And that is that.

3 4,596
 08-15-2017, 04:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hans, my forehead's been expanding for the last 20 odd years. I have hair above and behind my ears which meets in the back of my head. At this point other than a few stray hairs on my crown I must admit to being bald. There. I've said it out loud. Bald. I hate being bald. Yet, I still want to hold on to every remaining hair for as long as possible. I visit the barber every three weeks or so to avoid looking like Bozo the Clown.

Forgive me for asking. Have you done this as a fashion statement or to disguise a balding pate? Perhaps you were seeking an additional level of personal comfort? Please don't think me rude. I truly am interested. Thanks Smile

7 2,299
 08-15-2017, 05:19 AM
User Info
Hans, that's pretty much what I do when I decide to shave my head.

The first time though I used a GEM Featherweight and it kept clogging and I had absolutely no idea what was going on. After that I used a GEM Clog Pruf because as the name implies it resists clogging.  It's quite aggressive however and care needs to be taken with it.

32 6,466
 08-15-2017, 02:17 PM
User Info
Charlie; I got a pretty full head of hair when it grows out - a pronounced widows peak but far from bald. I started cutting it "really short" while on a twelve month tour of duty in South Sudan... less fuss, less worry, easier to put sunscreen on. Have kept it that way ever since; I like it, the Better Half like it, and with my facial hair it also fits in rather well with the crew I work with Tongue

So I guess it's mostly personal comfort with a bit of statement tossed in Biggrin

3 4,596
 08-15-2017, 02:21 PM
User Info
I have shaved my head since 2006.

I usually shave it twice a week.

Same technique as with my beard.
But my head hair and skin there is far less sensitive though, so I use quality canned foam for my head shaves.

24 6,004
 08-15-2017, 06:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-15-2017, 02:17 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Charlie; I got a pretty full head of hair when it grows out - a pronounced widows peak but far from bald. I started cutting it "really short" while on a twelve month tour of duty in South Sudan... less fuss, less worry, easier to put sunscreen on. Have kept it that way ever since; I like it, the Better Half like it, and with my facial hair it also fits in rather well with the crew I work with Tongue

So I guess it's mostly personal comfort with a bit of statement tossed in Biggrin

I understand about comfort, for sure!! (But really, all you needed was "the Better Half" - that says it all Tongue)

7 2,299
 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM
User Info
(08-15-2017, 04:46 AM)chazt Wrote: Hans, my forehead's been expanding for the last 20 odd years. I have hair above and behind my ears which meets in the back of my head. At this point other than a few stray hairs on my crown I must admit to being bald. There. I've said it out loud. Bald. I hate being bald. Yet, I still want to hold on to every remaining hair for as long as possible. I visit the barber every three weeks or so to avoid looking like Bozo the Clown.

Forgive me for asking. Have you done this as a fashion statement or to disguise a balding pate? Perhaps you were seeking an additional level of personal comfort? Please don't think me rude. I truly am interested. Thanks Smile

Im only 34. I started losing my hair in my early 20s. Every man in my family is bald so nothing i could do about it. 

I just started shaving my head a couple months ago and it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. I dont like being bald but if im going to be bald then why not go all the way with it. It makes you look younger and more masculine. I personally refuse to look like larry from the 3 stooges. 

Give it a try. Its worth it.

0 48
 08-19-2017, 05:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I don't have the guts.

7 2,299
 10-12-2017, 02:54 PM
User Info
I have a horseshoe and it makes me look older than I am. So, I lopped it all off and people think I am younger than I am. It's not a big deal. You see shaved heads all the time. Give it a go. It's just hair.

1 48
 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I look better when bald and it doubles the shaving pleasure. After a while you don't need mirrors anymore. Some days I use a straight, others a DE, SE or Feather DX.

28 1,446
 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM
User Info
I noticed when shaving my head I preferred a scrubby brush and a R41. Loved the feel of a scrubby brush while dome lathering and the sharp blade efficient razor combo kept everything smooth.

61 1,585
 10-15-2017, 08:05 AM
User Info
Head shaving was my entrance to Wet shaving. I have thick, fairly course hair and had been using 0000 clippers weekly for almost ten years when I decided to try shaving with a blade.

I wear a beard and have shaved my neck in the shower for as long as I can remember. While the shower is a bit tricky to mange multiple mirrors in, after a few weeks, a single mirror was all that was needed.

A can of shaving cream and a Shick Hydro 5 worked fine, but I was getting one shave from each $5 cartridge. While researching dollar shave club options, I came across the world of wet, DE shaving and found it works perfectly for my needs.

Since starting last November, I’ve experimented with about a dozen blades and razors.

My rock solid, go to razor for shaving every day and head shaving every other day has been a Timeless .95 solid bar, smooth cap with an Astra SP blade. I use a fresh blade for every head shave and at $0.09 per blade, it still feels frugal.

Two close runner ups to the Timeless are a Charcoal level 2 and a Guerrilla, both with solid bars.

Everyone head is different, but here is some advice that helped me.

1. Ingrown hairs on you head look and feel awful. Everything I do is based around avoiding them

2. Don’t worry about a BBS head shave, for me, a BBS head becomes a DFS in about an hour

3. Play it safe, especially at the beginning. Two passes, with the grain until you learn what you can get away with

4. Apply no pressure, sometimes you will need to use less than the weight of the razor head

5. Alum and witch hazel after every shave, treat ingrown hairs with witch hazel and benzoyl peroxide 3-4 times a day

Good luck!

1 58