08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
Trying a new soap and was getting a good amount of weepers on my chin and neck. I didn't change anything up from technique, blade or razor. This occurred for consecutive shaves. Today I switched back to a well known soap and had a smooth shave.

So is this a cushion or slickness issue with the new soap? I'd like to give feedback on the soap but unsure how to describe the issue.

Sent from my S8+ using Tapatalk

0 66
 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM
User Info
I've never had  a soap cause anything like that, not even a soap I would consider to be a lower tier soap. For me it usually ends up being a bad blade when that happens.

Would love to know what soap it was though if you wouldn't mind shooting me a PM

3 920
 08-17-2017, 02:04 PM
User Info
Same blade. Same razor. Same technique. Only thing that changed was the soap.

0 66
 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM
User Info
If the soap was a touch drier than your use to perhaps that caused the blade to skip or "chirp" as I like to describe it. This can cause those tiny weepers or areas of irritation. I know sometimes when I use a glycerine soap (rare these days) if I do not hydrate the lather enough this can occur.

60 1,444
 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM
User Info
Yep... Sounds like it's too dry. Try dialing things in with a bit more water.

0 1,061
 08-17-2017, 08:42 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. It is a non tallow soap and I have less than stellar shaves with non tallow soaps. I have very hard water (Philly suburb)

0 66
 08-18-2017, 04:26 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Slightly OT, but hard water is a challenge. I find that it requires MUCH more soap and more water
Depending on how hard your water is (anything over 5 grains) you may want to try using distilled water.
It makes a huge difference

58 1,584
 08-19-2017, 10:47 AM
User Info
I would try more water and loading a little longer.

0 44
 08-24-2017, 04:34 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(08-17-2017, 01:56 PM)jaxstraww Wrote: Trying a new soap and was getting a good amount of weepers on my chin and neck. I didn't change anything up from technique, blade or razor. This occurred for consecutive shaves. Today I switched back to a well known soap and had a smooth shave.

So is this a cushion or slickness issue with the new soap? I'd like to give feedback on the soap but unsure how to describe the issue.

Yeah, it sounds like it.  I would never use that type of soap, again, to be honest.  If I had knicked myself, twice, with a new soap, I would have ditched it.  You gave it more a chance, than I would have, it seems.  Stick with what works.

1 589
 08-24-2017, 04:40 PM
User Info
(08-24-2017, 04:34 PM)Quando Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 01:56 PM)jaxstraww Wrote: Trying a new soap and was getting a good amount of weepers on my chin and neck. I didn't change anything up from technique, blade or razor. This occurred for consecutive shaves. Today I switched back to a well known soap and had a smooth shave.

Yeah, it sounds like it.  I would never use that type of soap, again, to be honest.  If I had knicked myself, twice, with a new soap, I would have ditched it.  You gave it more a chance, than I would have, it seems.  Stick with what works.
Already retired

0 66
 08-25-2017, 09:57 AM
User Info
Most likely just a matter of figuring out how to make "your" shaving lather with the new soap. The great soaps I've discovered are the ones that take "my" lather to a new level.

0 21