08-18-2017, 05:56 AM
User Info
I'm thinking about having a razor coated by Delta Echo.  To those that have owned and used one of these razors for more than a few months, how is the coating holding up in regards to wearing off or chipping?  Would you consider the finish to be at least as durable as the nickel plating on our vintage Gillette razors which in many instances has held up for years?  It's a gift I'm planning for someone else and he's a young guy who would probably like that "tactical" black look.  I myself (not a young guy) prefer the original nickel plated look.

2 247
 08-18-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
i have a weber copper/brass and have had no problems.  very happy with results.  probably time to pull out the renassiance wax though.

97 1,573
 08-18-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
I currently have many Delta Echo coated razors. The coating(s) and work of Mr. Mabe is outstanding. I baby all my razors and have never dropped nor accidentally banged any razor for many years.

Other than dropping or seriously banging a razor with this coating, I suspect it will last at least a lifetime.

A little research on GunKote, should shine a better light on this question. It's been tested via very long durations of extreme sand blasting and stood tall.

I have heard of one instance where someone dropped a razor onto asphalt and it did chip. I'm assuming this fall distance was at least 4.5 feet.

0 122
 08-18-2017, 10:06 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I have read a lot about coatings on firearm forums.  Generically speaking most folks view GunKote as inferior to Cerakote.  One person posted the results an abrasion wear cycle test.  The GunKote failed after 744 cycles and the Cerakote lasted to 6,697 cycles.  There is another fellow that specializes in Cerakote finishes for razors (I don't want to post his information here and break forum rules).

And of course some guys prefer metal.  They offer the "how can paint be stronger than metal" argument.  Rhodium would appear to the top-shelf option for re-plating.

Ultimately you are applying this finish on a razor and not a firearm or knife.  I would be more interested in cost vs extreme performance.

0 347