03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230722.jpg]

Thanks to member SteelTown,I have the change to try this new tallow based artisan shaving soap.

I have good experiences with the past with some artisan tallow based shaving soaps like the Queen Charlotte ones so I was intriguing about this new "out of the owen" brand ans shaving soap.

Lets check its ingredients :

[Image: P1230724.jpg]

So as we can read it has tallow but also a lot of "goddies" like Shea Butter,Avocado,Castor and Palm Oils.I dont beleive in "magical" ingredients but in good formulations,however some of these ingredients are very good for dry skins like mine.

[Image: P1230723.jpg]

This is not a triple milled soap,of course,but it has a solid consistency,a little bit more than the QC that I have tried and kind of the Prairie Creations.

And its lather?Well,a pic better than a 1000 words.I used the Semogue 605 boar brush (vintage) to test its lather.After 25 seconds loading the brush with the soap I got this :

[Image: P1230728.jpg]

Which didnt see any promising,but I started to work out the lather on the palm of my hand and a minute and a half later I got this :

[Image: P1230729.jpg]

The lather its not as thick as other artisan soap shaving soaps but I can tell you that its slick,really slick.I havent shaved yet with it,but it looks promising.Tomorrow 1st shave with it and Ill write my impressions about it.

Its scent its really pleasant and far away for the tipical Bay Rum spice fragrances : this is more fresh,not sweet and more "clean".I do like it.

Thanks to SteelTown for its generosity and giving me the change to test this soap.Thumbup

86 7,123
 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Washington State
User Info
I received a sample of their "Marrakesh" scented soap and while the scent may not be my personal favorite, I found that the lather it produced was superb. Definitely very slick as Teiste described, though I agree that is not overly thick, however I do think it is rather dense and cushioned.

I think I may really like Mystic Water, I have three more samples on the way and will likely buy a full tub of one once they are used up.

35 1,726
 03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
User Info
Teiste thanks for the review.

This is a soap that I've recently become aware of and am interested to try when it comes time to buy some more software. I"ll be interested to see more reviews about Mystic Water Soaps.

3 444
 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I have a puck of Marrakesh soap and I think it's really a top notch soap. I had trouble getting a thick lather like at first, I found that if I load my brush longer then I normally do it really helped. I use all different types of soaps from soft Italian to triple milled soaps and I found this soap takes a little longer than most soaps to get a good lather. It is a very slick soap but where I think it really shines is post shave, it always leaves my face feeling really good. I'd put it's skin conditioning properties on par with Institute Karite shave soap.

7 1,007
 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
Glad you enjoyed the soap. It is a very slick soap that can hold a lot of water. Looking forward to hearing your post shave review.

I have gotten great shaves from the soap, alas it is just not for me.

Nothing has knocked Tabac out of the number one spot yet.

2 693
 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great review and pictures Teiste! Thumbup This is a soap that I plan to try in the near future.

45 15,933
 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
User Info
Very interesting and a great review Teiste.

98 12,353
 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I tried today with good results.I charge the brush for almost a minute and got a thicker lather than yesterday but with the same slickness.
The post shave was great,I have a really dry skin,even more now with cold weather,however my skin wasn't dry at all,something that I appreciate.The scent last through the shave and when its not one that makes me fall in love with it,I like it.
I dont know who is behind this brand but well done.Thumbup

86 7,123
 03-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The soap maker/proprietress has participated in a few threads about the soap over at B&B. She seems very open to feedback, scent suggestions, etc.

10 1,858