08-21-2017, 04:09 PM
User Info
A generous TSN member gifted me with a full tin of B&M Lavanille and a synthetic brush to use with it. Today was it's maiden voyage; I whipped, and whipped, and whipped and managed to produce a decent lather on the puck. I looked down at the brush and was a bit apprehensive; painting my face with what looked like a layer of mudd confirmed my initial observation.
Brown Lather is wrong on so many levels !! 

What do the rest of you think about this soap??

Ron

0 192
 08-21-2017, 04:19 PM
User Info
I haven't used it but there was a tub in one of the pass arounds so I checked it out.  I've heard that it can stain knots, so I just stayed away from it.  The scent wasn't for me either, so no big loss.  That being said, not sure I could get over brown lather either!!   Confused

18 1,633
 08-21-2017, 04:33 PM
User Info
I prefer white lather, but I also own a pot of Lavanille and as long as you only use it once in a while, no big deal with the brown lather.

Performance is great. All the B&M soaps I have tried are GREAT performance wise, and I have owned 25+

24 6,003
 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
Mickey lee drunken goat does the same thing. I dont mind it.

0 48
 08-21-2017, 07:06 PM
User Info
I don't like the scent or color of the soap.

50 6,264
 08-21-2017, 07:13 PM
User Info
(08-21-2017, 04:33 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I prefer white lather, but I also own a pot of Lavanille and as long as you only use it once in a while, no big deal with the brown lather.

Performance is great. All the B&M soaps I have tried are GREAT performance wise, and I have owned 25+

I'm thinking of that Fougere Gothique Limited Edition  Bundle but at that price I wanted to know that it's a great performer.....Obviously you like it.
The other thing is I'm no good at imagining what something might smell like. Any ideas here?

0 192
 08-21-2017, 08:50 PM
User Info
The lather colour put me off too - only at first. Great scent for the right time of day or occasion, and as with all B+M items, excellent performance.
I have never noticed any brush staining but have not used consistently with the same brush for any length of time.

0 139
 08-21-2017, 10:50 PM
User Info
Inexpensive synthetics or pure badgers would be my choice of brush when using soaps heavy with vanillin. Good performer but I wouldn't use an expensive badger with it.

11 1,168
 08-21-2017, 11:55 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I use and enjoy it. First use was unusual given the colour but it certainly performs well and has character. I have not noticed any staining of my brushes so I just use my finest and shave on. I own three B&M with matching aftershaves and have a fourth set on order. Good stuff.

0 631
 08-22-2017, 02:12 AM
User Info
Brown lather is a cool change of pace!

8 931
 08-22-2017, 02:43 AM
User Info
I consider it cool on the contrary . I like the smell of Lavanille and the color of the lather it produces.

I was oblivious of the affect it may have on badger brushes till I read a post on the Nook. Anyways, I was using my boar brush majority of the times so no harm done.

I may now like to try the other brown lathering soap mentioned by fellow shavers soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 834
 08-22-2017, 03:08 AM
User Info
(08-22-2017, 02:43 AM)Jags009 Wrote: I consider it cool on the contrary . I like the smell of Lavanille and the color of the lather it produces.

I was oblivious of the affect it may have on badger brushes till I read a post on the Nook. Anyways, I was using my boar brush majority of the times so no harm done.

I may now like to try the other brown lathering soap mentioned by fellow shavers soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It washes out after a few rinse, but I am still afraid to use some of my most treasured ones, however that is me being paranoid.

It performs well and does smell delicious. To my nose it's Nutty Cocoa, Vanilla gourmand without being overtly sweet. My wife loves this one.

11 1,168
 08-22-2017, 03:38 AM
User Info
A couple of my soaps gives lather that is on the off side of off-white... I don't think brown lather would bother me too much, if the soap otherwise performs well.

That said, I stay away from B&M for other reasons.

3 4,580
 08-22-2017, 03:44 AM
User Info
Don't particularly care for brown lather, especially the kind that stains your towels. i.e. Meißner-Tremonia Strong 'n Scottish (cream). Great scent, awful color, stained towels. Sold. I still have their Dark Limes (puck) and while the color (grey!) is off-putting, at least it doesn't stain. 

39 3,932
 08-22-2017, 04:48 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
My only experience with brown lather has been Meibner's strong and Scottish.  I was so put off by the brown I have only used the soap/paste once.  It stained my towel.  I can't use a cream that will stain towels or clothes.  Put me in the "wrong on so many levels" column.

9 461
 08-22-2017, 05:57 AM
User Info
I had a sample of Lavanille.  When I first took a whiff, I didn't really care for it.  Over time, the scent grew on me.  

When I first lathered it up I was surprised at how brown the lather actually was, as I have had many soaps in the past that looked brown in the container but produced pure white lather.  It was off-putting, but not a deal breaker.  

By the time I got through the sample, I had grown to quite enjoy the scent.  The performance was good enough that I could ignore the color of the lather.

2 1,506
 08-22-2017, 07:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Brown beats pink.

7 2,283
 08-22-2017, 07:55 AM
User Info
I don't even like soap that isn't white in the tub. 

I know I miss some good ones, but its a quirk.

13 522
 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM
User Info
(08-22-2017, 07:55 AM)22bulldog Wrote: I don't even like soap that isn't white in the tub. 

I know I miss some good ones, but its a quirk.

Essentially this just means that you like soaps that contain titanium dioxide, because that's what soapers put into the soap to make them white.  Most soaps are off-white to some shade of brown naturally, even though the lather is white as snow.

2 1,506
 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM
  • Beau
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
The only brush that I have ever used with Lavanille is my Omega 20102 Boar. I also use this brush with other soaps (such as Mike's Natural Soaps Coconut and Captain’s Choice Bay Rum). I was a little nervous at first about the darker lather produced by Lavanille, and what it might do to the brush. But after some use of the brush with Lavanille, I see perhaps a little, but not that much, discoloration of the bristles or other negative effects. May I add, I really appreciate the great performance and scent of this fine soap (and I’m also extremely fond of the related Lavanille aftershave splash, but that’s another subject).

Here is a photo of my Omega 20102 Boar (on the left), which I use with Lavanille, next to my Omega 21762 Italian Flag Boar (on the right), which I don’t:
[Image: acdpIRI.jpg]

0 370