09-29-2017, 11:46 AM
User Info
Mystic Water

I am glad you scientifically explained the color issue.  Vanillin is the reason I check the manufactures description of the soap.  Except for soaps containing that ingredient I have no problem with non white soaps.  One of my soaps is Dr. Selby which is bright green, it looks like green Kool Aid but lathers white.

0 268
 09-29-2017, 01:16 PM
User Info
The green Dr Selby's is tinted with dye.  That's the CI45350, CI42015, and CI47005 at the very end of the ingredient label.

0 281
 09-29-2017, 05:37 PM
User Info
I guess we are not on the same page.  I understand that color is from additives???

0 268
 09-30-2017, 03:30 AM
User Info
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue.  As I explained before, the various shades of brown, from light tan to dark brown, are caused by some percentage of vanillin in the fragrance.  The more vanilla, the darker the brown.  Some very dark brown soaps will tinge the lather brown.  The brown color is a side effect of being scented with a fragrance containing vanillin.  

Left uncolored, a soap scented with a non-discoloring fragrance (like mint or lavender) will be somewhere between white and cream-colored, unless a coloring agent is added (colored clays, mineral colors or dyes).  In the case of your Dr Selby's green soap, it's been colored with dyes, the INCI identifying codes are the three numbers at the end of the label.  If it didn't have any color added to it, it would be a white soap judging by the ingredients.

0 281
 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
User Info
I agree brown lather it was a shock, but man that is a really great shave and scent.

2 73
 02-21-2018, 12:51 PM
User Info
I did not dig Lavanille's color or scent. I think I just sold another brown soap that bothered me.

On the other hand, I used Caties LPV today...brown, but not when whipped up...

20 408
 02-21-2018, 02:55 PM
User Info
I've been using Caties LPV for the last week or so and find that the lather in the bowl has a slight brown/tan tint. I must admit that at first it struck me as strange (as in not usual - that the soap itself is so brown the color is not surprising). I have to admit I don't particularly notice the color once the lather is on my face. I also have to admit I'm not sure how I'd react to a lather that is dark enough to stain a towel.

Dave

0 52