08-21-2017, 05:59 PM
  • Nero
User Info
My curiosity has me pondering explanations again Smile Wink --

On the whole right now, it seems like many folks are preferring more efficient razors (ones that cut closer than others, all else equal), which makes complete sense.

BUT what isn't quite so apparent is/are the reason(s) people are even preferring to have more aggressive feel (strong blade feel).

What are the reasons you prefer this type of razor? (Does blade feel (aggressiveness) help you?)
Wouldn't the BEST razor be the one that is most efficient and least aggressive?? Or, is that not the goal?

This can apply to SE as well, not only DE.

99 4,196
 08-21-2017, 06:54 PM
User Info
The most efficient razor that I have and yet its on the upper mild side that's the Titanium Baby Smooth, it makes me chuckle every time I shave with it

0 272
 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good question. There is a cluster of 3 whiskers on my left cheek not far from the corner of my mouth that refuse to be shaved off with any Gillette Tech (even prewar Techs) or Merkur razor in my den regardless of how many passes I do. My iKon101 gets them in two passes with a little buffing. The iKon X3 and Gillette Red Tips get them in two passes. It's been a good two months since I've used a Gem razor so I can't really speak to that right now. Interestingly my Schick injectors get those whiskers in two passes with Chick blades, and in three passes with Personna blades. My most efficient razor seems to be the Asylum Evolution which shaves those whiskers with one pass. It's become my hands down daily driver. Smooth and efficient.

19 5,475
 08-21-2017, 08:04 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-21-2017, 05:59 PM)Nero Wrote: My curiosity has me pondering explanations again Smile Wink  --

On the whole right now, it seems like many folks are preferring more efficient razors (ones that cut closer than others, all else equal), which makes complete sense.

BUT what isn't quite so apparent is/are the reason(s) people are even preferring to have more aggressive feel (strong blade feel).  

What are the reasons you prefer this type of razor? (Does blade feel (aggressiveness) help you?)
Wouldn't the BEST razor be the one that is most efficient and least aggressive?? Or, is that not the goal?

This can apply to SE as well, not only DE.

[Erecting flame shields]

There is a myth — I call it what it is — that real manly men cannot get a close shave with a “mild” razor.  With large gaps and large blade exposure, a razor can be designed for “aggressive” action, where blood is always a possibility.  To shave with an “aggressive” razor, one must pay attention to the angle that the blade attacks the whiskers, because, if one is to avoid turning the shave into a blood bath, one must avoid attacking the face at a 90° angle to the plane of the blade.  A “mild” razor is a razor that has been designed to minimize the occurence of nicks and cuts.  A “mild” razor is engineered to make it difficult to cut one’s skin, but if the man fails to learn how to hold a “mild” razor at just the right angle (different angles for the different parts of the beard), the edge of the blade may never reach the whisker to cut it off.

Certain admirers of Earnest Hemingway (and other machismo types who never have heard of Earnest Hemingway) equate courting danger with masculinity. The fact is, if the geometry of a razor allows a whisker to be cut at all, then it is possible to cut the whisker every bit as close to the skin with a “mild” razor as it is to cut the same whisker close to the skin with an “aggressive” razor.

That said, there definitely is a learning curve involved in the proper use of a “mild” razor.  One cannot attack the beard at just any old angle and expect that the blade will cut it.  So the men who are too lazy to learn how to use a “mild” razor pride themselves in their manly manliness and look down on wimps who have taken the time to learn how to use their “mild” razor tools to achieve just as close a shave that they could have achieved with less patience and diligence in learning technique using a macho aggressive razor.

1 1,487
 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM
User Info
I have been using aggressive razors for a month or so now as a change from my mild razors. What I notice is that, feeling the blade more makes me use less pressure leading to a better shave. Mild razors are great, but I sometimes use too much pressure with them because I lose feel of the blade.

19 288
 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-21-2017, 08:15 PM)SweetReason Wrote: I have been using aggressive razors for a month or so now as a change from my mild razors. What I notice is that, feeling the blade more makes me use less pressure leading to a better shave. Mild razors are great, but I sometimes use too much pressure with them because I lose feel of the blade.

Good point. I find that I tend to use more pressure with milder razors and less with the more efficient razors. Tom is on to something. Perhaps I should spend more time working on technique with the milder razors.

19 5,475
 08-22-2017, 03:42 AM
  • jar
User Info
I have one goal when I shave and that is to finish the shave looking ok and without any pain or discomfort.  I may well be a woose, weenie or wimp but I do enjoy my shaves. I shy away from aggressive drivers, aggressive drunks, aggressive razors, aggressive chilis  and aggressive mixed drinks.

0 257
 08-22-2017, 04:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-22-2017, 03:42 AM)jar Wrote: I have one goal when I shave and that is to finish the shave looking ok and without any pain or discomfort.  I may well be a woose, weenie or wimp but I do enjoy my shaves. I shy away from aggressive drivers, aggressive drunks, aggressive razors, aggressive chilis  and aggressive mixed drinks.

+1 re: aggressive drivers. They scare me. Aggressive chilis were instrumental in causing my ulcer, so sadly I shy away from them Sad. Aggressive mixed drinks were never my bag so thankfully that's not an issue.

Yet I do seem to like a slightly aggressive razor compared to a milder razor.

19 5,475
 08-22-2017, 05:16 AM
User Info
Apart from usually being more efficient, the blade feel from aggressive razors provides instant tactile feedback. You know exactly how much pressure you're using, where the blade is, and even the angle of the blade. Because of this you can readily adjust your attack. That and the added caution taken due to additional respect for the razor means that for some people aggressive razors actually give them fewer cuts, nicks, and irritation. So, in a counterintuitive manner, some shavers find more aggressive razors to actually give a gentler, more comfortable, and maybe even milder shave.

0 810
 08-22-2017, 06:33 AM
User Info
Exactly what Shane said. With an aggressive razor the feedback is guiding you how to go on. I hate it when I use a mild razor and going down the cheeks I see untouched areas, only lather displacing. There are razors aggressive and mild that are very specific about the angle of attack. Miss it and they will not cut. Put pressure and the aggressive one will cut you. Technique plays a vast role in achieving a BBs result whether with a mild or aggressive razor. The aggressive one needs less passes, less work but more caution.
I'm equally comfortable with the 2013 R41 the RX and the E4 as I'm with the 6S on plate 1. Plate 1 though will make me do 5 passes to achieve what I can do with any of the aggressive ones in 2 passes.

0 448
 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-22-2017, 05:16 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Apart from usually being more efficient, the blade feel from aggressive razors provides instant tactile feedback. You know exactly how much pressure you're using, where the blade is, and even the angle of the blade. Because of this you can readily adjust your attack. That and the added caution taken due to additional respect for the razor means that for some people aggressive razors actually give them fewer cuts, nicks, and irritation. So, in a counterintuitive manner, some shavers find more aggressive razors to actually give a gentler, more comfortable, and maybe even milder shave.
+ 1 
I use mid range aggressive razors (ATT, BlackBird, Wolfman) and I get less irritation with them than any Gillette I've tried or the Feather ASD2.  I'm sure I could get an irritation free shave with a mild razor, but I find it easier to keep the proper cutting angle and pressure when I can feel the blade.

3 742
 08-22-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
I like the feedback from a mid-aggressive razor.  I dabbled in more aggressive razors: R41, Futur dialed up to 6, and while I enjoyed them I couldn't shave with them for more than a couple of days without irritation developing.  I find the blade feel of a mid-aggressive keeps me "in touch" with the shave.  I do confess to enjoying an R41 style, super aggressive shave followed by an AS burn once in a while though... Shok

23 1,938
 08-22-2017, 08:48 AM
  • Nero
User Info
ALL very interesting responses so far, thanks gents!!
I figured this was the case and just needed to verify from your experiences/opinions.

99 4,196
 08-22-2017, 12:08 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
I like aggressive razors (I've had RR Jaws, Fatip Piccolo, 2013 R41, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, Parker Variant on "10", Rockwell 6s s/#6 plate...), because I'm impatient. I can get the closest, most long-lasting shave in the least amount of time, with minimal irritation.

14 185
 08-22-2017, 12:27 PM
User Info
(08-22-2017, 12:08 PM)KRpdx Wrote: I like aggressive razors (I've had RR Jaws, Fatip Piccolo, 2013 R41, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, Parker Variant on "10", Rockwell 6s s/#6 plate...), because I'm impatient. I can get the closest, most long-lasting shave in the least amount of time, with minimal irritation.

A47

Smile

23 1,938
 08-22-2017, 01:07 PM
User Info
Quote:+1 re: aggressive drivers. They scare me. Aggressive chilis were instrumental in causing my ulcer, so sadly I shy away from them Sad. Aggressive mixed drinks were never my bag so thankfully that's not an issue.

Ulcers aren't caused by eating chilis.  Heartburn is different though.  Ulcers are caused by taking aspirin or medications like ibuprofen or by a bacterial infection. 

Although I like aggressive razors, I get great shaves with a mild tech as well.

1 663
 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
No offense, but you're unfamiliar with my particular situation. Capsaicin is a major irritant to my digestive tract. That and beer/wine over two decades of enjoyment. To treat my ulcer effectively, the gastroenterologist was adamant about the complete cessation of among other things, all forms of peppers; including chilis.

19 5,475
 08-22-2017, 02:34 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I have and use the following: Oristo (mild), ATT R2 (medium or just on the aggressive side of medium), Timeless .95 (also just over medium), Ikon B1 Standard (very aggressive). They all work great, but I prefer shaving with the ATT and Timeless over the other two. The Oristo is really an amazing razor, though. It feels so gentle and yet I can get just as close of a shave as I get with the others with just a little extra touch up. The Ikon behaves just as you would expect. If you use any pressure, or do too much obsessive touching up you will pay.

19 1,112
 08-22-2017, 04:23 PM
User Info
I have this problem spot on the left side of my mouth, where it meets the mustache area. I would need to buff there to remove the stubble, but if I do, I am definitely going to get irritation and ingrown, so most of the time I just shave with the grain on that part for three passes. 

More efficient razors tend to give me a pretty acceptable result there but milders ones aren't too effective. 

So far I haven't found a razor that would completely address and eliminate this one problem of mine, but I have a few here that certainly helps.

11 1,170
 08-22-2017, 04:38 PM
User Info
Here is how I deal with 'Aggression' in MY shaving: I start with an aggressive razor like my BBS-1, or .95 Timelss OC, or Charcoal Goods Level3 OC for my First set of passes,
Then something 'Milder' for the second set (Timeless .68 OC or Charcaol Goods Level2), I even used a THIRD base plate on my last two shaves (CG Level3 gave me some irritation).
Here is todays SOTD:
[Image: GFkkazd.jpg]

64 656