Poll: Multiple passes, one direction?
 08-25-2012, 07:18 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Multiple passes, one direction...

Gentleman, another technique that I've enjoyed success with recently is multiple passes, but all in the same direction.

Usually I'm a 2 to 3 pass shaver. I favour WTG followed by ATG, giving me 2 passes, often with a touch up here and there. Sometimes I'll stretch it out to 3 with an XTG pass in between.

However, recently with my more AGGRESSIVE razors I've enjoyed the results of 2 (and sometimes 3) WTG passes.

Obviously the majority of the stubble is removed with the first WTG pass. But I discovered (originally when I was trialling the Cobra Classic for the first time) that further growth is still removed with a second (and third pass) in the same direction.

The advantage of this technique for me is the reduced risk of irritation often arising from an ATG pass with an aggressive razor. I find by continuing with subsequent WTG passes, more stubble is removed and without any irritation or razor burn.

Again, like the 2 razor approach, this arose from experimentation with new and aggressive razors. Again, it's not the way I shave everyday. But, again, I've enjoyed good results and it's assisted me with avoiding irritation without forgoing closeness.

So does anyone else perform multiple passes in the same direction?

91 17,801
 08-25-2012, 07:55 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
YMMV of course... I can do 2-3-4-5 passes WTG and never achieve an acceptable (to me) shave. It will remove most of it, that's true, but I am my own critic and I wouldn't let it pass.

88 4,233
 08-25-2012, 08:02 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I do this when I've become a little irritated. I find I can achieve a more than acceptable shave.

45 3,955
 08-25-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
In my more difficult areas, I will do XTG twice rather than my usual WTG and ATG. No irritation; works for me.

47 1,270
 08-25-2012, 08:10 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I agree that multiple WTG passes do NOT provide either as close or as long lasting shave as multiple passes with multiple directions (WTG, XTG and ATG). However, with an AGGRESSIVE razor it does provide me with an acceptable shave with the benefit of increased comfort...

91 17,801
 08-25-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
I've done this in the past. Since my discovery (no, not initial discovery) of preshave soaps I get much better shaves with less irritation and blood than I ever have. Plus, my skin is much softer.

31 7,912
 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM
User Info
2 XTG passes followed by an ATG pass is one smooth shave for me. I'll also use a modified ATG pass that's more effective than a XTG pass.

9 1,199
 08-26-2012, 03:09 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I voted No but it's certainly not "crazy" if it works for you!

I wish it worked for me, especially as mentioned with the more aggressive razors. I find that going the same direction a second time removes little to no extra hair. Even a second XTG pass in the opposite direction proves worthless for me.

With proper prep, proper technique,a good blade and being slower and careful, I can go the extra mile with the three direction pass without any difficulty.....most of the time.

6 905
 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
I guess I'm the only one intrigued. I haven't tried this yet.

183 12,002
 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Two NS passes are what I do to get a CCS. Yes, I ignore the grain! If I'm looking for DFS, then I do one NS pass and one SN pass. Going for BBS adds an ATG pass at the end.

6 119
 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
User Info
I've never tried this but will give it a go in the week.

7 1,179
 08-26-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
Just wondering, but why not do multiple strokes in one pass?

I think it's called buffering or buffing by the community. It is basically rapidly moving the blade back and forth.

Video = better.

9 2,988
 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
Ben, i have never thought of doing that and i may give it a try.
Thanks for the thought.

75 20,883
 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
Ben, all your experimentation sounds to me like someone that had a chemistry set when he was a kid.Biggrin

I've tried every which direction. I think the thickness of the beard may have something to do with results (I can't imagine using any blade more than 3 times). That said: 1 WTG, 2 ATG, with some clean up works best for me. W/O ATG, I may as well use my Braun.

BTW, I had one of those chemistry sets A47. Damn was that fun. They would probably call in 'Hazmat' today.

2 546
 08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Basically I now do three passes in the same direction. However, the neck area sometimes ATG(one pass)and the chin area XTG.

100 12,438
 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
What kind of pass and how many is a function of the individuals beard and skin. If your beard grows in the same direction on your face and neck, multiple passes in one direction may work well. If, as I do, you have the beard on your face growing in two different directions, and three directions on your neck there is no way to get a CCS by staying in one direction.

In general, WTG & ATG get the most beard, and you can clean up what's left if your so inclined. I think picking your best razor for each pass is more likely to get you a two pass + touchup shave than staying in one direction. But as always, YMMV.

16 542
 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
buffing, and touch ups are about as close as i usual get myself, but i do it from time to time when i can feel a pretty sensative face right from the get go, and all i need is a good looking shave that wouldnt feel all that great upon close inspection,.... certainly gentler then an ATG pass

3 748
 08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
User Info
Just as an experiment, this morning I did three passes WTG-XTG-WTG, and while it was comfortable, I did not get quite as close or smooth a shave as I do when I finish with an ATG pass.

183 12,002
 08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
It's something I do regularly and for me it works, only on the chin I have to change direction otherwise no BBS shave. Works better with a straight or feather razor then with a DE for me.

27 1,294
 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
  • Everett
  • Lurk-Exer
  • Darlingford, MB
User Info
Works nice for me, in the name of comfort if I have a few days growth. 2xWTG, and 1xXTG gives a nice CCS after a few days growth.

0 19