08-26-2017, 06:28 AM
User Info
I use Santa Maria Novella bath soap, Penhaligons bath soap and Mystic Waters bath soap, a couple times a week I use Origins micro dermabrasion, it is a cream consistency in a tube with micro crystals to buff the face.

20 1,317
 08-26-2017, 09:21 AM
User Info
I just posted this in another thread, but I use L'Occitane Milk Soap.

2 326
 08-27-2017, 06:39 PM
User Info
Just a dove facial bar most of the time, but usually I just wash my face thoroughly with water.

11 1,169
 08-28-2017, 01:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-26-2017, 12:02 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I sometimes use a bar soap to wash my face but steer away from something that is too drying.

I am curious though, if you face lather with a brush, is there really a reason to clean the areas on your face that you plan to shave before you shave as well? I started focusing a bit less on the products when I realized I am face lathering normally for about 2-3min and giving plenty of water anyways.

Zack, I agree with you. A simple, cold water wash with Dove soap and then 5 minutes face lathering gets my to-be-shaved areas ready for the blade.

6 2,061
 08-31-2017, 08:14 AM
User Info
I don't usually use a soap to wash my face with before shaving unless I do it in the shower.
Now that I cold water shave it's not something I do.
However I sometimes use Zest to shave with when I cold water shave.
It lathers up very well along with it being slick.
I use a synthetic brush when I do this.
Ron

0 59
 09-01-2017, 08:05 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
My prep for more than 50 years, through my progression of electric, injector, cart and DE, has been a quick face wash with whatever my soap happens to be at the time (nowadays usually Grandpa's Pine Tar, Neutrogena or a Stirling bath soap). I always got my worst shaves just after showering or skipping the face wash.

1 217
 09-02-2017, 04:10 AM
User Info
I've used Dermalogica for a couple of years now. I start with the precleanse. Then, I wash my face with the dermal clay cleanser.
Dermalogica is a great facial cleanser, especially if you have oily skin like I do.

0 49
 09-02-2017, 01:09 PM
User Info
Soap of Alep.
[Image: le-pain-de-savon-d-alep-40-.jpg]

0 40
 09-02-2017, 04:02 PM
User Info
I'll use whatever soap leftovers we have on hand, but we've got a tea tree and clay face bar that I prefer.

0 1,061
 09-03-2017, 05:37 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Stirling Bath soap in the shower.............usually Scots Pine Sheep.

4 2,733
 09-04-2017, 11:28 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(08-23-2017, 11:08 AM)david1201 Wrote: None at all!  Want to keep your skins natural oils intact to help the razor glide smoothly.  Few splashes of cold water to moisturize everything and ready for lather!

David, thank you for saying this! I had always been wondering about this method and just never got the courage to try Wink
But since reading your post, I have been skipping the pre-wash altogether, and face lathering after some cold water splashes. Shaves - and, Post-Shaves - have been more comfortable (and completed in less time). Hope the streak continues!

Just for reference -
before, I had been doing a pre-wash (usually with Dr. Bronner's unscented bar soap... I prefer organic products and this is organic, and there's no fragrance whatsoever that might alter the base) and NOT face lathering (I was palm-lathering).

59 2,703
 09-04-2017, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-04-2017, 11:28 AM)Nero Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 11:08 AM)david1201 Wrote: None at all!  Want to keep your skins natural oils intact to help the razor glide smoothly.  Few splashes of cold water to moisturize everything and ready for lather!

David, thank you for saying this! I had always been wondering about this method and just never got the courage to try Wink
But since reading your post, I have been skipping the pre-wash altogether, and face lathering after some cold water splashes. Shaves - and, Post-Shaves - have been more comfortable (and completed in less time). Hope the streak continues!

Just for reference -
before, I had been doing a pre-wash (usually with Dr. Bronner's unscented bar soap... I prefer organic products and this is organic, and there's no fragrance whatsoever that might alter the base) and NOT face lathering (I was palm-lathering).

Matt, awesome!  Now you need to try my ice water shave - I pour a large glass of ice in my sink about 5 minutes before I shave.  Best prep and post-shave to calm down any irritation. Enjoy!

53 1,186
 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Haha! I might have to give that a try. Might be a while though, as I do not make ice and rarely buy it.

I have been soaking the brush in warm water. I feel like warm water would load the brush better. Do you use cold water to prep the brush, David?

59 2,703
 09-06-2017, 04:16 PM
User Info
(09-06-2017, 03:33 PM)Nero Wrote: Haha! I might have to give that a try. Might be a while though, as I do not make ice and rarely buy it.

I have been soaking the brush in warm water. I feel like warm water would load the brush better.  Do you use cold water to prep the brush, David?

Matt, I do, although it probably does take a little longer.  I like to keep it simple - ice-water in the sink, splash on my face 30 seconds or so, brush also soaking in the ice-water, post-shave splash from the sink.

Probably why I tend to bloom my harder soaps.

53 1,186
 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM
User Info
I use these face soaps in the shower, depending on season and weather conditions:

Osmium facial Cleanser - unmatched if you have sensitive skin
Baxter face wash - almost as mild as the Osmium
L'Oreal Hydra Energetic (cleansing mild gel without actual soap in it)

If I need a deeper face wash I use L'Oreal Daily Charcoal wash, which is a fantastic product if you want a deeper face wash.

For very deep removal of dead skin, I use Clinique Men Face Scrub (only use this once a week to clean out the skin pores)

24 5,926
 09-15-2017, 05:42 AM
User Info
For about the past 6 months I have been using Rugged & Dapper facial cleanser for men. I used to easily get dry skin on my face especially after showering. I tried only using soap every other day on my face to try to get rid of the dry skin, since switching to the rugged and dapper I can wash morning and night and my skin has never been better. 
After reading through some of these posts though I'd like to compare that to not using any wash before the shave to see if its any better. I have been getting some irritation lately because I've been experimenting with different razor blades and various aggressiveness with my new parker variant. I wonder if only doing the cold water splash before my shave could maybe help.

BTW, I also only cold water shave. I read an article about 2 or 3 years ago and immediately noticed an improvement compared to using warm water. I have never gone back to using warm water while shaving.

0 1
 09-18-2017, 07:18 PM
User Info
I use a Clinique face wash bar. Makes your face feel very... strangely clean immediately after using it. It's also super expensive at like $20/bar, but my GF bought a bunch and then switched face washes, so I inherited it all.

0 23