08-22-2017, 05:08 PM
User Info
I'm no good at imagining what this might smell like. Can someone offer an opinion in layman's terms please.
The bundle is pretty pricey for me, but in your experience are B&M products worth the cost?

0 179
 08-22-2017, 05:26 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 08-22-2017, 07:11 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
'Worth the cost' is subjective - that being said the B&M soaps I have produce some of my favorite lather (if not my outright favorite) of any soap I own or have tried.

8 391
 08-23-2017, 06:25 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I have pre-ordered the soap and aftershave. I have also been on the fence over the the EdP but have till the 29th to decide. I like B&M soaps and aftershaves and would rate them below top tier but probably in the top five to ten for many shavers. I have many soaps and aftershaves that do the job for me and I purchase B&M mostly for their unusual scents. I think B&M have tried to capture this scent in their marketing so I expect it will have bright fresh elements with contrasting very dark ones. A mixed, challenging scent not aiming to be a crowd pleaser. If they have done it well it may take a few wearings to warm up to. I don't find reviews and general comments posted online to help in making a fragrance purchasing decision. Our individual perceptions, tastes, and experiences vary too much. If you enjoy variety in your fragrances, are up to a challenge, and can afford the downside risks you should go for it. It is the only way to know for sure and unless B&M come out with a flop resale should recover most of your costs if you don't like Fougere Gothique. Good luck with your decision... and thank you for posting, placing my order now!

0 630
 08-26-2017, 09:44 PM
User Info
Took the plunge, made the purchase.

0 179
 08-27-2017, 06:15 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
For me...it was a bit too sweet - with notes of cinnamon and vanilla.  I prefer his previous fougeres.

167 1,348
 08-27-2017, 11:12 AM
User Info
It smells like potting soil (think Petrichor) and Pez.  It was a "meh" for me.

And the price is very high.  The owner of B&M signaled the cost was to compensate for his time in creating the scent.  I will pass on this one.

0 237
 08-27-2017, 01:55 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
It is also a EDP so that may also contribute to the price as the are usually cost more than an EDT

8 391
 08-27-2017, 02:25 PM
User Info
How does it compare to Hallows?

6 147
 08-27-2017, 02:36 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
So I went to the site and read the description...

"Obviously he would smell not only of smoke and flame, but also of wealth and classic taste. A smoky fougère, then, one that would reflect the stain of Hell and the forbidden temptations that surround the Prince of Lies.

I began with the core skeleton of all fougères, the classic combination of lavender, oakmoss, bergamot, geranium, and tonka bean. To this were added the ancient, primordial influences of balsam fir, vetiver, cedar, and mushroom, topped off with the richness of smooth musks, sandalwood, leather, and tuberose. Finally, and most distinctly, I blended in the essences of black ashes and smoldering flame to echo the fires of Hell, burning for all time.

The result was an eerily smooth, smoky fougère with a distinctly “ashy” character and the dark cast of some ancient atrocity. Fougère Gothique is my magnum opus, and I’m very proud to bring it to you this Halloween."

Really. How can anyone understand what it smells like with this description? It seems like a blind buy for another time from B&M. Every time I bought a soap from B&M I tried to read as many reviews as possible to understand what I was about to receive and most of the times, if not every time, the soap smelled different than expected. For example, they say it's a smoky fougere with an ashy character, but Ron and Timothy describe it as a sweet scent( PEZ). lol

I really miss the simple descriptions and the delicate classic scents that some artisans offer after reading that kind of descriptions.

49 1,962
 08-27-2017, 05:40 PM
User Info
God bless you all.

6 147
 08-27-2017, 06:10 PM
User Info
(08-27-2017, 02:36 PM)nikos.a Wrote: So I went to the site and read the description...

"Obviously he would smell not only of smoke and flame, but also of wealth and classic taste. A smoky fougère, then, one that would reflect the stain of Hell and the forbidden temptations that surround the Prince of Lies.

I began with the core skeleton of all fougères, the classic combination of lavender, oakmoss, bergamot, geranium, and tonka bean. To this were added the ancient, primordial influences of balsam fir, vetiver, cedar, and mushroom, topped off with the richness of smooth musks, sandalwood, leather, and tuberose. Finally, and most distinctly, I blended in the essences of black ashes and smoldering flame to echo the fires of Hell, burning for all time.

The result was an eerily smooth, smoky fougère with a distinctly “ashy” character and the dark cast of some ancient atrocity. Fougère Gothique is my magnum opus, and I’m very proud to bring it to you this Halloween."

Really. How can anyone understand what it smells like with this description? It seems like a blind buy for another time from B&M. Every time I bought a soap from B&M I tried to read as many reviews as possible to understand what I was about to receive and most of the times, if not every time, the soap smelled different than expected. For example, they say it's a smoky fougere with an ashy character, but Ron and Timothy describe it as a sweet scent( PEZ). lol

I really miss the simple descriptions and the delicate classic scents that some artisans offer after reading that kind of descriptions.

Nick, I see it as another example of the marketing hype and nonsense we're seeing from some artisan soap makers.  Hopefully we'll get a report from Ron that he enjoys the  scent and performance of the products.

50 5,924
 08-27-2017, 07:33 PM
User Info
(08-26-2017, 09:44 PM)RetroRon Wrote: Took the plunge, made the purchase.

Good thing is BM has a pretty good following.  If you're not happy with the scent, I'm sure someone will be willing to take it off your hands.

18 650
 08-27-2017, 08:34 PM
User Info
I'm not sure that you reasonably can imagine (prior smelling the tub and creating the lather) what the scent truly will smell like. Even if there was no scent description/inspiration/story and simply the notes included, I am sure with so many notes included in a fragrance that you will have trouble knowing how it will smell without smelling it in person.

Ravi, did you not like the scent or are you responding and referring to B & M soaps not being worth the price in your experience?

79 1,324
 08-27-2017, 11:13 PM
User Info
There are some things you can always rely on.

1 98
 08-28-2017, 05:43 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
The soap performs well. On that you can rely.

No doubt Will has a certain flair, and that's fine with many of his customers. For me, the Gothique was just too much. I did not get much "ash". Mainly sweet spices and vanilla - almost like a holiday Yankee Candle.

It's not a bad soap...just not my style. I prefer simpler scents. I have Seville in my rotation and enjoy that much more.

167 1,348
 08-28-2017, 04:25 PM
User Info
I'm confused......
I didn't know it was available before the release date or I would have done a "snuffle" myself before purchase.
:-(

0 179
 08-28-2017, 04:53 PM
User Info
(08-28-2017, 04:25 PM)RetroRon Wrote: I'm confused......
I didn't know it was available before the release date or I would have done a "snuffle" myself before purchase.

There were 100 or so samples available at Maggards, for a couple minutes.

9 113
 08-28-2017, 08:11 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I get the smell of a forest with mushrooms being very forward and present.  Great scent.  I loaded up.  Smile

48 966
 08-28-2017, 09:31 PM
User Info
(08-28-2017, 04:53 PM)Sleeper Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 04:25 PM)RetroRon Wrote: I'm confused......

There were 100 or so samples available at Maggards, for a couple minutes.

There were initially 300 samples, then an additional 150 due to an overwhelming response. The first batch sold out within a few hours.

7 313