08-25-2017, 04:43 AM
User Info
I worked with Matt and got a new custom titanium Timeless.  

.95 gap, Dual comb with open and scalloped base, and scalloped top.

This is it

[Image: fzauoEU.jpg]

[Image: kHoHBKK.jpg]

[Image: xnzEaZ6.jpg]

It is a joy to shave with.  Light and nimble.  I know the concept of 'heavy weight' and 'let the weight of the razor do most of the work' ... but for some reason - just personal preference - I've learned I like a lighter razor.

I loaded this one up with a Merkur SS blade, used Proraso white and went to town.  I used the OC for the first pass, and then flipped to scalloped for the second.  The razor performed like I intended.  The OC has a slightly more aggressive feel than the scalloped to me and that's what I wanted.  

A great shave.  And a great shave is the beginning of a great day!

3 203
 08-25-2017, 05:15 AM
User Info
Very nice! I have a dual comb titanium on the way too, the 0.95mm OC and SB with scalloped top. Looking forward to comparing it to my other Timeless razors.

Do you find the Ti OC to provide a 'softer' shave than the SS OC (0.95mm)? In other words does the weight difference affect efficiency or face feel?

0 847
 08-25-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 05:15 AM)Nishy Wrote: Very nice! I have a dual comb titanium on the way too, the 0.95mm OC and SB with scalloped top. Looking forward to comparing it to my other Timeless razors.

Do you find the Ti OC to provide a 'softer' shave than the SS OC (0.95mm)? In other words does the weight difference affect efficiency or face feel?

This is my first Timeless .... So I can only compare it to my ATT ... but it may not be the last Timeless.   Great product, great customer service.  A class act company all the way around!

I can't really compare it to the ATT either ... the ATT is an H and feels slightly more aggressive to me - so the timeless is a softer feel than the ATT, but just as efficient.  The ATT is good on a Monday when I haven't shaved all weekend - maybe I'll skip Sat and Sun and try the Timeless on Monday.

3 203
 08-25-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
For anyone who likes a lightweight razor .... this one is:
Handle: 14mm x 85mm and weighs in at 51.10 grams on my scale
Dual baseplate in .95 gap weighs 15.91 grams
Top cap is a featherweight at 7.74 grams

Entire razor tips the scale at only 74.75 grams sans blade

I don't know the grade of the titanium that Timeless uses, but I did a wet weight and a dry wright and came up with a specific gravity of 4.32

I like the matte finish, you see a lot of brushed and polished ... but the matte stands out on the shelf.

3 203
 08-25-2017, 03:57 PM
User Info
did it cost extra for the dual comb?

0 198
 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 05:15 AM)Nishy Wrote: Very nice! I have a dual comb titanium on the way too, the 0.95mm OC and SB with scalloped top. Looking forward to comparing it to my other Timeless razors.

I have both SB scalloped, and OC in stainless, and OC in Ti, all in .95. IME the OC is more aggressive feeling, but both provide outstanding and equal end results. I find myself seriously considering a dual comb. In .95 of course.

7 235
 08-25-2017, 04:08 PM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 03:57 PM)bazemk Wrote: did it cost extra for the dual comb?

Only a little more.  Matt said they are getting more requests for it and may make it an option

3 203
 08-25-2017, 06:47 PM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 08:35 AM)1981Eagle Wrote: I don't know the grade of the titanium that Timeless uses. . . . .

According to the Timeless website, they use Grade 2 Titanium.

ETA:  Great pictures!  Making it hard to control the credit card.  lol

8 179
 08-26-2017, 01:00 AM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 06:47 PM)Gigster Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 08:35 AM)1981Eagle Wrote: I don't know the grade of the titanium that Timeless uses. . . . .

According to the Timeless website, they use Grade 2 Titanium.

ETA:  Great pictures!  Making it hard to control the credit card.  lol

I missed rhat ... and I find it interesting that they list the stand as grade 5 ... curious

3 203
 08-26-2017, 03:37 AM
User Info
Agree.

Comparing the properties (specifically, mechanical and sustainability) of the two, there are subtle differences, but I don't see anything that stands out significantly, based on application (a razor vs. razor stand).  Both grades are the two most commonly used and available.  From a profitability prospective (long term), the price they were able to obtain raw stock (tubing and sheet / plate) probably played a significant factor.

8 179
 08-27-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
(08-25-2017, 04:03 PM)JimmyH Wrote:

I have both SB scalloped, and OC in stainless, and OC in Ti, all in .95. IME the OC is more aggressive feeling, but both provide outstanding and equal end results. I find myself seriously considering a dual comb. In .95 of course.
Any difference in the OC heads between the two materials, with regards to face feel?

0 847
 08-27-2017, 10:47 AM
User Info
For those that are interested, here is a Link to a Titanium Alloy Grade Comparison Table, Notice the different Tables for China, USA, and Russia:
Also, Titanium is NOT rare and is very common in places like 'Russia" and Australia. It is just difficult to work with, especially as an ALLOY (Lots of Aerospace Applications).
Titanium is a chemical element with symbol Ti and atomic number 22. It is a lustrous transition metal with a silver color, low density, and high strength. Titanium is resistant to corrosion in sea water, aqua regia, and chlorine.

http://www.nan-long.com/Metal%20Steel%20...0Table.htm

IF you want more information on TITANIUM, here is another Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

48 414
 08-28-2017, 01:33 AM
User Info
I decided to let my hair grow for 2 days and shaved with the Timeless again this morning.

I am not all that into 'ritual' but I do have a pretty good 2-pass routine.  I am typically in and out in 15 min or less.  

So - first is a good warm water rinse. 
This morning I used Proraso Sandalwood (red tube).  I squeeze out two short ribbons onto my finger and put them right on my cheeks.  I wet the brush and squeeze out 90% of the water, and face lather.  If I need more water I dip the tips of the brush in the water and keep going .... The first cheek does pretty good, but when I move to the cream on the 2nd cheek, the lather really explodes .... for me it's all about getting the 'product to water' ratio right to build a good face lather.   

2nd shave on a Merkur stainless blade ... these are nice blades in my opinion.  To me they don't feel as 'sharp' as a feather, but they feel smoother

First pass was N to S with the OC side.  For my hair growth pattern isn't quite with the grain, and not quite across it ... it's a merge of the 2 with typically does nice for a 1st pass.  It was very nice, no tugging, no weepers, just a nice primary 'hair reduction'

One thing I really like about the base plate design are those huge 'tunnel like' channels under the blade.  They seem to really keep the blade clean of whiskers and cream with a 'swish' of water in the sink.  With other designs I seem to have needed the faucet on and put the razor upside-down under the flow of water to really clean up the blade.  I don't know if those channels were done that way for that reason, or for weight savings ... but I like the way they work.

Re-lather and Second pass - using the scalloped side was against the grain - not quite S to N ... more like 'ear lobe to bridge of nose' .... nice and smooth ... on the cheeks I used more of a 'bade buffing' cut and on the neck - just a short, light, no pressure, strokes.  

I had to go back and clean up the jaw line a little.

I finished with an alum block and some aftershave gel by Gillette.  

I am really liking the timeless -

3 203
 08-28-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
Sounds like you hit the lottery.  

I added one to my Christmas "want list."

8 179
 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM
User Info
Congrats on the TI Dual comb. 

I have the Timeless .68 OC and about 4 or 5 months ago I asked Matt if he'd make me a custom dual comb baseplate in a .95 gap and I think at the time it was the 2nd one he made.  He mentioned at that time they'd like to make this option more readily available in the near future and it looks like their doing it. They just came out with the TI and I got an email today showing a new 85 mm barber pole handle. Great razors, great company and awesome customer service.

0 110
 09-02-2017, 01:23 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I'd like to try a titanium version of the timeless.  Is it too hard to polish these?

17 439
 09-24-2017, 05:49 AM
User Info
(09-02-2017, 01:23 PM)Lando Wrote: I'd like to try a titanium version of the timeless.  Is it too hard to polish these?
I know one member on another forum has polished Ti using a buffing wheel and compounds. Took a few hours and a lot of elbow grease but the results are superb.

0 847
 09-24-2017, 06:32 AM
User Info
I like the look of a polished razor - but I haven't done so - the matte finish is attractive and it doesn't drag at all.

3 203
 09-24-2017, 07:35 PM
User Info
WOW is right. This razor looks smooth. Im intrigued.

0 37
 09-25-2017, 05:13 AM
User Info
I received my dual comb a few days back, titanium 0.95mm OC/SB. I do like the razor. I also own a SS OC again at 0.95mm. More details can be found here:
http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/timele...nium.6871/

0 847