08-25-2017, 06:22 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
We are having a batch of more aggressive Asylum Evolution base plates made and, we need a few testers. In order to be considered, you must already own an Asylum Evolution razor (we are only sending out base plates) and, you must like fairly aggressive razors. We are having the shop make both Stainless Steel and Brass versions.

We would like you to share your impressions with us so that we make sure to get it right. Limited spaces are available. Please reply to this thread if you are interested.

46 18,494
 08-25-2017, 08:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Pick me, Monty! pick me!

(silly Odd Couple reference)

Attached Files Image(s)

7 2,296
 08-25-2017, 08:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-25-2017, 08:49 PM)chazt Wrote: Pick me, Monty! pick me!

(silly Odd Couple reference)

Will do Charlie. I'll send you a brass base plate

46 18,494
 08-25-2017, 09:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks, Phil. I look forward to the experience.

7 2,296
 08-26-2017, 08:47 AM
User Info
Would be thrilled to be a guinea pig if possible. I have a stainless version that I love.

1 22
 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
All base plates have been accounted for.

46 18,494
 08-30-2017, 12:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I used the more aggressive base plate for the past two shaves. I may be biased but, I am really pleased with it. I'll be very interested to hear what the testers think.

46 18,494
 08-30-2017, 05:29 PM
User Info
Interested. Damn am late , looking forward to the reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 206
 09-01-2017, 08:34 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Package was in the mailbox when I returned from my end-of-summer haircut. Gonna go shave now...

7 2,296
 09-01-2017, 12:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-01-2017, 08:34 AM)chazt Wrote: Package was in the mailbox when I returned from my end-of-summer haircut. Gonna go shave now...

So...how'd it go?

46 18,494
 09-01-2017, 06:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-01-2017, 12:34 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-01-2017, 08:34 AM)chazt Wrote: Package was in the mailbox when I returned from my end-of-summer haircut. Gonna go shave now...

So...how'd it go?

Sorry, it's birthday weekend for mrs. chazt... just got back from dinner out with friends.

The shave went well. I had a two day growth in anticipation of the new baseplate today. used P-Red pre-post balm, a fresh IP, CH2, Valobra unscented, alum, witch hazel and shea butter. Definitely needed the extra skin protection. But I have relatively sensitive skin. Wiry beard, sensitive skin.

I'd gotten my shaves down to 2 passes with the first iteration with no need for a 3rd pass, and was getting DFS+ shaves consistently, and was happy with that, 'cause I'm always looking forward to fewer passes in order to eschew razor burn.

The Evolution was clearly more aggressive with the new baseplate. For what it's worth, the "right" angle seemed to be somewhat different than what I'd grown accustomed to with the first version. Will work on refining technique for the next week or so... I still needed 2 passes to get DFS+/BBS clean most everywhere, and might have been happy with one pass on my neck for a DFS there, but went for a second pass, just because. Wound up with BBS everywhere, with the slightest feel of irritation. Not necessarily razor burn, but a feeling of irritation. Although I stropped the blade, we'll see what shave 2 yields with the same blade.

Overall I will say that on only one use, this new baseplate clearly accomplished the goal of more aggressive. Now it's just a matter of refining technique to make the aggresssion work for me.

Ttyl...

7 2,296
 09-01-2017, 07:19 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have a one-off version of a more aggressive Evolution base plate dating back to the initial release.
I find the more aggressive one I have provides a more efficient yet smooth shave.
Looking forward to more reviews of the new one from others.

102 18,667
 09-02-2017, 10:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Today's shave left my skin feeling more relaxed than it did yesterday. Same setup minus the pre- balm and alum. Second shave on the blade, and I had only a day's growth, so perhaps the blade had less work to do which helped to promote a calmer face feel. Only did one pass on my lower neck which is also instrumental in achieving an irritation free shave. Two passes everywhere else for BBS with no touchups required. Today's shave was irritation free.

7 2,296
 09-02-2017, 02:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-02-2017, 10:13 AM)chazt Wrote: Today's shave left my skin feeling more relaxed than it did yesterday. Same setup minus the pre- balm and alum. Second shave on the blade, and I had only a day's growth, so perhaps the blade had less work to do which helped to promote a calmer face feel. Only did one pass on my lower neck which is also instrumental in achieving an irritation free shave. Two passes everywhere else for BBS with no touchups required. Today's shave was irritation free.

Thanks for the update Charlie! I am glad it is working well for you.

46 18,494
 09-03-2017, 07:29 AM
User Info
Did my first test of the prototype baseplate this morning and I am impressed.

I loved the first evolution, mildly aggressive with zero irritation.  This version is more aggressive with zero irritation, which is unbelievable and rare.  I have sensitive skin and most aggressive razors give me burn or cuts, and yet again the evolution delivered top marks on both fronts.  

Today had two days worth of growth.  First pass took off nearly everything but some stragglers.  I had to be very careful around my nose and lips, but two passes was all it needed with no touchup required.  I also was not using my best cream as far as slickness and cushion, and with sensitive skin the fact that I have no nicks, no burns, and skin that feels moist without having been put through the wringer says a ton about this razor.  We will see how it handles with less growth as the week moves on, but I can tell already that it will be a winner by all accounts.

I was a fan of the first one, am a bonafide fan of the second, and wouldn't change anything about this.  I am loving it!  More to come!

1 22
 09-03-2017, 07:37 AM
User Info
Is there another razor the testers would say this version is similar to?  Just curious.  I don't have the original version either so am trying to imagine...

18 1,675
 09-03-2017, 07:51 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I am the one testings the brass plate I posted my review in the DE section if allowed I could posted it again here. If anyone is curious and wants to read my post it is titled" New Asylum plate creates a bold new razor"

51 459
 09-03-2017, 12:12 PM
User Info
Thanks.  I checked that review out.  It helps.

18 1,675
 09-03-2017, 04:38 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-03-2017, 07:37 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: Is there another razor the testers would say this version is similar to?  Just curious.  I don't have the original version either so am trying to imagine...

Tom, imo the shave feels reminiscent of a GEM razor without the irritation.

7 2,296
 09-03-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
Thanks Charlie.  That helps.

18 1,675