09-01-2017, 06:25 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Introduction & Initial Impressions

I have used the new Above the Tie Windsor DE razor for six days, enough that I thought I could objectively review it.  Upon receiving the razor, first impressions were extremely positive, this is a looker!  While there is some resemblance to my prior ATT's in the handle design it is clearly a departure from their prior DE.  First and most obvious is the highly polished finish on the head and smooth areas on the handle.  The previous matte finish was attractive and utilitarian, the new has more flash.  I was impressed with fit and finish, which isn't a departure with ATT, but the polishing obviously takes more time to produce well.  I'm a fan of polished razors, and this one is very nicely done.  There's a copper version available also.

The head has been re-designed so that the DE blade "ears" have been covered.  ATT says that the new cap also reduces vibration, resulting in a stiffer blade.  The handle is "Calypso" style, which equates to Kronos length (3.5") with different knurling.  The blade gap is specified as .58.  The baseplate is drilled with 20 round "exhaust ports" which give it a fresh look without devolving into steampunks' disease.  It's a substantial in hand, classy looking razor.

The Windsor weighs in at 116g total, compared to 109g for the similar length Kronos razor.  The balance point is back from the razor head, with my grip style it feels neutral. I always chuckle when something that can be gripped in multiple places is described as having "Perfect Balance" so I won't ..

The Shave

To calibrate my shaving experience with the ATT Windsor - I have been "back" wetshaving for approximately 10 years, after spending many years with carts.  I have a fairly heavy beard that is relatively tough, and that grows in swirls in all directions. My skin isn't particularly sensitive.  I shave most every day, using a variety of weapons from a Fatboy to a Micromatic OC to an ATT H2 Atlas to a Wolfman +.74, as well as a Schick Type M.   I've also owned most of the other contemporary SS razors, including a Timeless .95, Blackbird OC, Guerilla et al.  In DE shaving I prefer the more aggressive razors with sharpest blades, usually Feathers.  My standard routine is 4 full passes and a final cleanup and buffing that will get me pretty close to bbs.

I have used the Windsor with my usual Feathers for half a dozen shaves now.  Frankly, I generally prefer razors with shorter handles (3" is my sweet spot),  bigger gaps and non-covered blade tabs.  So the Windsor wasn't expected to shave so well.  I could notice the additional blade stiffness that was designed into the Windsor, particularly in places where a typical DE would tend to "chatter" - like the Fool's Pass South to North ATG under the nose.  The Windsor's "R" rated blade gap punched above its weight I thought, though I would probably prefer an H version if made available in the future.  The handle is simply longer than I am used to and prefer, but other than being a bit awkward (I grip a safety razor near the neck) it worked fine, there's no denying the grip provided by the bulldog style knurling.  I did swap it out one shave with an ATT Atlas handle, which pushed the weight distribution towards the head naturally.  I'm hoping that ATT will offer multiple other handle styles for the Windsor like they do for their other razors.

This is not a particularly aggressive razor, but was surprisingly efficient for the blade gap.  I think the added stiffness helps with that.  The full blade tab coverage is irritating in certain spots (east/west under the nose, for example, where the tab covers move the edge of the blade away from the strip you are trying to shave).  Also, using the tabs to effect precise blade alignment is impossible since they are inaccessible once the head is screwed down.  The Windsor's blade alignment was spot on though, so at least on my example that particular concern was moot.

Results were very good - even with the mild exposure I was able to achieve BBS without too much extra blade buffing.  Despite not having a lot of time in with the razor, aftershave alum failed to produce any evidence of irritation.  Field stripping it post shave showed that those exhaust ports are completely functional.

Summary

In conclusion, the Above the Tie Windsor SSR1 Calypso is a very well made razor with the fit and finish ATT has become known for.  It is probably efficient enough for most, despite the R rated blade gap.  My only tweaks would be to make a more aggressive version as well as alternative handles available, as is done with the other razors in the ATT line.  Thanks to Stan of Above the Tie for providing the opportunity for me to test drive this exciting new entry.

44 473
 09-01-2017, 06:51 AM
User Info
Very thorough review.  Thanks for the effort you put into it.

17 1,419
 09-01-2017, 07:46 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Nice review.  I agree with you on the handle length.  I like about a 3 inch handle as well.  It seems like all of the razors coming out these days have 85mm or longer handles, which I find awkward to use.

3 561
 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM
  • stan
  • USA
User Info
The First batch of Stainless Windsor Razors were processed today.

No longer on back order, you can choose a Windsor with a H plate for heavy beards, R plate for regular beards or the M plate for mild shaving.

If variety is what you like check out our Windsor five piece set.

0 301
 09-01-2017, 04:51 PM
User Info
Thank you for a thoughtful and useful review.

By the way, I also prefer 3" handles.

50 6,089
 09-02-2017, 05:35 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review. Thorough and well thought out... I like the concept of the razor but feel the 1st thing I would do is send it out to be media tumbled to give it a matte finish!! I think this should've been an option for the razor and feel some of us were just left out in the cold here. I'm not into the polished look at all.

3 79
 09-02-2017, 01:44 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I would also prefer a bead-blasted/matte finish

113 1,495
 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I don't like the bead blasted finishes, but I do like the finish on the original ATT razors.

3 561
 09-05-2017, 11:15 AM
User Info
Stan, any plans on releasing other handles? Particularly in the copper version? A copper bamboo handle would be AWESOME!

9 133
 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM
  • stan
  • USA
User Info
(09-05-2017, 11:15 AM)FloridaCreekIndian Wrote: Stan, any plans on releasing other handles? Particularly in the copper version? A copper bamboo handle would be AWESOME!

LOL, I am not sure about that, time will tell.

0 301
 10-02-2017, 07:25 AM
User Info
I recently received my copper Windsor and had a chance to try it out.  I currently own BBS-1, Charcoal Goods (level 2), Tradere, Timeless scalloped (.95), Weber and some others.  The adjustments that Stan made with this razor have been excellent.  It provides a great shave and the copper looks outstanding.  I found the shave rivals that from some of the great razors listed above.  Thanks for all the hard work, Stan.

45 133
 10-02-2017, 07:58 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I am interested in one of these since I don't have a ATT DE razor, but I am a +1 for preferring the 3 inch handles.

8 451
 10-02-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
A comparison of the ATT Windsor to the Traditional ATT would be helpful. Solid Bar with the same blade exposure (e.g. R to R.)

6 199
 10-03-2017, 04:04 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(10-02-2017, 06:38 PM)Never2Close Wrote: A comparison of the ATT Windsor to the Traditional ATT would be helpful. Solid Bar with the same blade exposure (e.g. R to R.)

In a nutshell, the Windsor has the wider head to cover the blade "ears", which weighs more than the tradition ATT and shifts the balance point accordingly.  The finish  as noted is different than TT's traditional matte.  I felt there was some additional blade stiffness with the wider head, as noted in the review, but the same blade exposure should equal the same level of aggressiveness.  Attention to Fit and Finish is great as always, as said.    I'm not sure what other aspect might be compared ...

44 473
 10-03-2017, 05:06 AM
User Info
(10-03-2017, 04:04 AM)garyg Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 06:38 PM)Never2Close Wrote: A comparison of the ATT Windsor to the Traditional ATT would be helpful. Solid Bar with the same blade exposure (e.g. R to R.)

In a nutshell, the Windsor has the wider head to cover the blade "ears", which weighs more than the tradition ATT and shifts the balance point accordingly.  The finish  as noted is different than TT's traditional matte.  I felt there was some additional blade stiffness with the wider head, as noted in the review, but the same blade exposure should equal the same level of aggressiveness.  Attention to Fit and Finish is great as always, as said.    I'm not sure what other aspect might be compared ...

I appreciate your response.  If there enough of a difference to warrant a purchase if you already have a traditional ATT?  (I have all 3 base plates and prefer the R.)  Thanks.

6 199
 10-03-2017, 06:29 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(10-03-2017, 05:06 AM)Never2Close Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 04:04 AM)garyg Wrote:

I appreciate your response.  If there enough of a difference to warrant a purchase if you already have a traditional ATT?  (I have all 3 base plates and prefer the R.)  Thanks.

That's an interesting question.  For me, I prefer the blade ends bare, and a shorter handle, so on those points I'd say it is different but in the wrong direction for me.  For someone who likes the bigger head design and a polished finish it would be an easy warrant ..

44 473
 10-03-2017, 07:24 AM
User Info
(10-03-2017, 06:29 AM)garyg Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 05:06 AM)Never2Close Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 04:04 AM)garyg Wrote: In a nutshell, the Windsor has the wider head to cover the blade "ears", which weighs more than the tradition ATT and shifts the balance point accordingly.  The finish  as noted is different than TT's traditional matte.  I felt there was some additional blade stiffness with the wider head, as noted in the review, but the same blade exposure should equal the same level of aggressiveness.  Attention to Fit and Finish is great as always, as said.    I'm not sure what other aspect might be compared ...

That's an interesting question.  For me, I prefer the blade ends bare, and a shorter handle, so on those points I'd say it is different but in the wrong direction for me.  For someone who likes the bigger head design and a polished finish it would be an easy warrant ..

Is the head design (size, angle, gap) the same for both, with the exception of the blade tabs being exposed on the Traditional?  Thanks for the help.  I only add razors or brushes if there is an appreciable difference to what I already have and of course, the difference improves the shave for me.

6 199
 10-19-2017, 10:34 PM
User Info
Any video review for Windsor mixed metal razor ?

0 8
 Yesterday, 07:22 AM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 10:34 PM)am8119 Wrote: Any video review for Windsor mixed metal razor ?

Gentlemen, TSN rules do not permit posting of video reviews.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...eo+reviews

50 6,089