09-01-2017, 09:29 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Cyril made another batch of the tallow OUD Santal shaving soap for me and it is now back in stock.  The Italian Barbershop aftershave is also back in stock.

[Image: ycwJqvV.jpg]

46 18,475
 09-03-2017, 04:35 AM
User Info
It's great to see another run of this outstanding offering.  This soap falls into either the "must try" or "must get backups" category.

50 6,264
 10-14-2017, 02:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Any plans for another restock, Phil?

7 2,283
 10-14-2017, 03:27 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
It's too bad it has to be limited. It's the best performing and smelling LPL soap, in my opinion. I even sent a can to one of my good friends in Canada. I much prefer the performance of his tallow soaps over his regular soaps.

38 5,148
 10-14-2017, 04:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-14-2017, 03:27 PM)evnpar Wrote: It's too bad it has to be limited. It's the best performing and smelling LPL soap, in my opinion. I even sent a can to one of my good friends in Canada. I much prefer the performance of his tallow soaps over his regular soaps.

I agree with you about the soap's performance. It's outstanding in all ways. As I've said elsewhere, in regards to the consistency, it seems to be more croapy than soapy. Very messy loading. Once a week or so I smooth it out with the back of a spoon. I've started leaving the tub uncovered at all times hoping to dry it out some.

Please educate me, Richard. What are/were the other tallow LPL soaps? Oud-santal is the only version I've seen.

7 2,283
 10-14-2017, 07:51 PM
User Info
I can't get this soap to lather to save my life......
What I get is like the soap bubbles in a washing machine, not the creamy yogurt lather I'm use to. It dissipates quickly on my face as well.
I love the scent, so please everyone help me Learn to lather LPL.
Ron

0 192
 10-14-2017, 08:12 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(10-14-2017, 03:27 PM)evnpar Wrote: It's too bad it has to be limited. It's the best performing and smelling LPL soap, in my opinion. I even sent a can to one of my good friends in Canada. I much prefer the performance of his tallow soaps over his regular soaps.

Agreed, Richard.
Outstanding soap.

102 18,664
 10-14-2017, 08:29 PM
User Info

I agree.  I hope Phil can procure another run of it.

50 6,264
 10-14-2017, 08:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-14-2017, 07:51 PM)RetroRon Wrote: I can't get this soap to lather to save my life......
What I get is like the soap bubbles in a washing machine, not the creamy yogurt lather I'm use to. It dissipates quickly on my face as well.
Ron

Load heavier?

7 2,283
 10-15-2017, 02:27 AM
User Info
A fantastic soap my all time favourite, as Richard said the tallow LPL version is far far superior to their normal offerings IMO.

11 1,944
 10-15-2017, 09:39 AM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 08:33 PM)chazt Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 07:51 PM)RetroRon Wrote: I can't get this soap to lather to save my life......
Ron

Load heavier?

Thanx Charlie, I'm working on that. 
I think my brushes hold to much water at the start as I get bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, on the puck almost immediately and it just never gets really thick and sticky on the brush. I'm going to wring it out good next time and see if it helps. I'm still very new (7 months) at making lather and I've conquered most of my issues along the way. CRSW, WSP, & ABC soaps all lather fine for me, no problems with creams at all now. It's just this LPL and that sucks as I really like the scent!
Ron

0 192
 10-15-2017, 09:57 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(10-15-2017, 09:39 AM)RetroRon Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 08:33 PM)chazt Wrote:
Ron

Load heavier?

I think my brushes hold to much water at the start as I get bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, on the puck almost immediately and it just never gets really thick and sticky on the brush. I'm going to wring it out good next time and see if it helps. I'm still very new (7 months) at making lather and I've conquered most of my issues along the way. CRSW, WSP, & ABC soaps all lather fine for me, no problems with creams at all now. It's just this LPL and that sucks as I really like the scent!
Ron

Ron, I endorse the notion of making your brush just moist, not wet. When loading, aim to pick up soap off the puck. When you've got a bunch of goo on the tips, go to a scuttle or bowl, add some water, and go at it. I've found that it's hard to add too much water. Just keep adding several big drops at a time, until it's how you want it.

LPL soaps, to me, are deceptively harder than many soaps. It's kind of waxy, which makes it seem softer, but I've found the soap a bit difficult to lift off the puck. But, boy howdy, when I get enough loaded on the brush, the rest is easy and wonderful.

6 372
 10-15-2017, 12:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-15-2017, 09:57 AM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 09:39 AM)RetroRon Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 08:33 PM)chazt Wrote: Load heavier?

Ron

Ron, I endorse the notion of making your brush just moist, not wet. When loading, aim to pick up soap off the puck. When you've got a bunch of goo on the tips, go to a scuttle or bowl, add some water, and go at it. I've found that it's hard to add too much water. Just keep adding several big drops at a time, until it's how you want it.

LPL soaps, to me, are deceptively harder than many soaps. It's kind of waxy, which makes it seem softer, but I've found the soap a bit difficult to lift off the puck. But, boy howdy, when I get enough loaded on the brush, the rest is easy and wonderful.

Yes. After soaking my brush for a few minutes I give it a good squeeze. Then load and add water a few drops at a time. I get plenty of high quality lather for three passes or more.

7 2,283
 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
 10-26-2017, 07:48 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I haven't been this excited about reordering a scented soap. This LPL tallow oud-santal is a shaver's delight Smile

7 2,283
 10-26-2017, 05:08 PM
User Info
I'm pleased to see that LPL did another run of this soap.  It's my favorite LPL soap, and one of my favorites overall.

50 6,264
 10-26-2017, 07:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-26-2017, 05:08 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I'm pleased to see that LPL did another run of this soap.  It's my favorite LPL soap, and one of my favorites overall.

When my fresh one arrives I’m planning on leaving it open for a few weeks to continue the curing process.

7 2,283
 10-27-2017, 03:47 AM
User Info
Charlie, I recall you posting earlier that you found the consistency softer than you prefer, and you were leaving it uncovered.  This is actually recommended by LPL.  From the LPL website :

Our tip: to preserve your soap all its qualities we recommend that you leave it open permanently, it will dry, become harder and more economical and its fragrance will pleasantly perfume your bathroom.

I like the soft consistency, but leaving it uncovered is the way to go if you want a harder soap.

50 6,264
 10-27-2017, 11:52 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-27-2017, 03:47 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Charlie, I recall you posting earlier that you found the consistency softer than you prefer, and you were leaving it uncovered.  This is actually recommended by LPL.  From the LPL website :

Our tip: to preserve your soap all its qualities we recommend that you leave it open permanently, it will dry, become harder and more economical and its fragrance will pleasantly perfume your bathroom.

I like the soft consistency, but leaving it uncovered is the way to go if you want a harder soap.

You have a good memory, Ricardo. I’ve left my first tub uncovered since that post, but the consistency hasn’t really changed too significantly. When my backup arrives maybe I’ll leave it on a shelf in my closet surrounded by packages of desiccant until the first tub gets used up.

7 2,283
 10-27-2017, 01:37 PM
User Info
I pulled my tub out today.  Great shave.  I had forgotten that it was soft.  I've left mine uncovered so it will firm up a bit.

18 1,632