08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I seem to have been bitten by the brush making/restoring bug. Since doing my very first restore of my old C40 with a Whipped Dog Black Badger I have restored an Ever-Ready 650PB (solid resin handle) with a TGN finest fan and created my own handle to fit a small 16mm TGN finest knot into. All three of these brushes are great. The first one is a pure badger and is rather loose (used an 18mm knot and set it way too high), but strangely, it works fantastically well, just not an everyday brush because of the scritch. The 650PB with TGN finest fan is in my regular rotation and is a very well loved brush. It is simply wonderful. It ended up with dimensions of 22mm/48mm and is a bit of a lather hog (way dense), but overall an amazing shaving brush. The home made handle with a 16mm TGN finest is an awesome brush. I set this one by gut feel and it ended up with 19mm/44mm. With the TGN finest the backbone is very good and flows amazingly well. A joy to use with really pleasant face feel.

So, now I have been thinking about the Ever-Ready 100T I picked up at an antique mall a few weeks ago.

It is a classic handle and the original boar knot was as terrible as the one in my old C40. So, off it went.

I also took a 220 sand paper to the handle to remove the old patina and smooth over some of the uneven places at the seam. I am also planning to round off the very sharp corner on top where the taper towards the knot is. I think a soft round curve instead of sharp corner will be much nicer. I will do the same for the bottom of the handle. It's so sharp there that it almost cuts into the hand when you hold it. Finally, the hollow plastic handle is way too light, so I have J-B Welded an old brake caliper bolt from one of my Volvos into the bottom after I removed the knot plug. The feel of the handle is becoming more like a Simpson than a low end Ever-Ready (the E-R 650PB handle had none of these "cheap" feeling attributes and had a pure badger knot originally). Now, the question is what knot I should put in this handle? I was thinking another TGN finest as it will look simply amazing in this handle: from bottom up it will be black, white, black, white. This is very tempting to do and I love TGN finest knots (maybe try a fan shape this time). however, after thinking some more I began to lean towards an Omega boar knot TGN sells. First, I have enough badger brushes and only two boars (Omega 10275, which I love and Semoge 1470 that I can not seem to make friends with). I love boar brushes and so far Omega boar knots agree with me very well. So, I am considering an Omega boar knot in this handle. It will preserve the original idea of this being a boar brush, but I will drastically improve the handle by easing the corners, adding weight to it and I will bring the finish of the plastic to a nice smooth grade, but not that plastic shine it had originally.

What say you, the community?

25 1,705
 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
Go with the boar! Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-26-2012, 01:39 PM)celestino Wrote: Go with the boar! Good luck.

That is what I am thinking. I only have two boar brushes and I do love them a lot. It's just hard to justify paying $14 for a knot, which is what TGN is charging (with shipping). However I think I will go that way. I need to make sure I can create a 1" hole in this handle.

25 1,705
 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
User Info
Couldn't you buy an Omega brush and sacrifice the handle for the knot?

47 1,270
 08-26-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
It is far easier to go the TGN route than to do the extra work of destroying another brush to get the knot. I have done that before and there really needs to be a big payoff or a good knot in a wrecked handle for me to go that level of extra work. Now the big payoff, hmm...

1 2,827
 08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
You could get both a 2 band knot and an Omega knot since those handles seem to be fairly common on the 'bay.

0 241
 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM
User Info
(08-26-2012, 03:06 PM)kentclark Wrote: Couldn't you buy an Omega brush and sacrifice the handle for the knot?

What high end brush has such a junk handle that you wouldn't want to keep it?

Also, what high end brush wouldn't stand behind their product if the handle was defective?

That said, I have actually heard of some horn handles cracking....

9 2,988
 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I worked on the handle yesterday and got all the sharp corners off and also sanded the seam where black and white comes together smooth. It was slightly uneven such that in some places the white was a bit proud and on the others the black was proud. Also, if you look at the original pictures you can see unevenness in the white part just above the black. All attributes of a cheap plastic handle. Well, I sanded and shaped and sanded and shaped, then polished and buffed and ended up with the following results that I like a whole lot. They may not show on the pictures nearly as much as in person as the actual feel of the handle has undergone a transformation from a feeling like a cheap hollow plastic object to a solid hunk or resin (or stone, even). The added weight and JB-Weld inside makes a huge difference in feel. Also, the rounded sanded and polished surfaces have a very different feel from that of molded plastic. I am very happy with how this is turning out. I hope the pictures tell some part of the story, but it's really hard to convey it without having you hold the handle in hand.

25 1,705
 08-31-2012, 03:23 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-31-2012, 09:35 AM)vferdman Wrote: Well, I sanded and shaped and sanded and shaped, then polished and buffed and ended up with the following results that I like a whole lot. They may not show on the pictures nearly as much as in person as the actual feel of the handle has undergone a transformation from a feeling like a cheap hollow plastic object to a solid hunk or resin (or stone, even). The added weight and JB-Weld inside makes a huge difference in feel. Also, the rounded sanded and polished surfaces have a very different feel from that of molded plastic. I am very happy with how this is turning out. I hope the pictures tell some part of the story, but it's really hard to convey it without having you hold the handle in hand.

Hi

That handle now looks stunning, you've really worked some magic on it Thumbsup

I look forward to seeing the completed restoration...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
User Info
This story is at the cliffhanger...what happens next?

97 615
 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Now I am just waiting for the Omega boar knot to arrive from TGN. Should be here early next week. The handle feels amazingly good to hold. It is much heavier and fuller what with that brake caliper bolt and lots of JB-Weld resin inside. The smoothness and roundness of it makes it difficult to put down. It's going to be a very nice brush to use. The only thing is in my zeal of polishing I accidentally burned some small marks into the white part of plastic right above the curve near the hole. I lingered with my rotary tool loaded with a buffing wheel running on slowest speed in the same spot for too long and the heat of friction melted a tiny "pit" in one spot. It really bummed me out at first, but I think I will try to fill it with some CA and buff it out. Even if the flaw remains, it will still make a gorgeous shaving tool to hold and use. It's not that big and I almost buffed it out, but it's too deep to be buffed out completely. So, I'll try CA tomorrow. Also, the hole will have to get considerably larger to accept the knot and that may obscure part or all of the defect or make it less noticeable. I avoided showing the flaw in the pictures since I am hoping to fix it. If it ends up staying I will photograph it as I am not ashamed of it. It was just an honest screw up.

25 1,705
 08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
The couple brushes I restored I filled with fishing weights and resin to make them heavier and I agree completely, it makes the handle so much more comfortable.

35 1,732
 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
User Info
That is a great looking handle, great job so far.

0 241
 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
You guys don't find your wrist tiring out from the extra weight?

Maybe I'm getting old.... Then again, this Parker brush weighs 112 grams.

9 2,988
 09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
The Omega boar knots (I got two identical ones just in case and make shipping per knot cheaper) from TGN came in today. I opened up the hole to accept the plastic "bucket" of the Omega knot. About 1" in diameter is what it took. Here is a picture of a dry fit.

The way Omega knots come with the bucket simplifies assembly immensely. I just sanded the white part flat after the hole was the correct size. This was necessary to make the bucket's ring align perfectly with the white part of the handle. The curve of the black ring around the knot flows naturally into the white of the handle. Looks and feels amazing. I de-funked one of the knots (still a bit funky, but much less). The dry fitted one in the picture is unwashed new knot the way I got it. The picture showing the brush hanging in my brush/razor hanger is the de-funked knot that I finally epoxied into the handle.

25 1,705
 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 05:34 PM)vferdman Wrote: The Omega boar knots (I got two identical ones just in case and make shipping per knot cheaper) from TGN came in today. I opened up the hole to accept the plastic "bucket" of the Omega knot. About 1" in diameter is what it took. Here is a picture of a dry fit.

The way Omega knots come with the bucket simplifies assembly immensely. I just sanded the white part flat after the hole was the correct size. This was necessary to make the bucket's ring align perfectly with the white part of the handle. The curve of the black ring around the knot flows naturally into the white of the handle. Looks and feels amazing. I de-funked one of the knots (still a bit funky, but much less). The dry fitted one in the picture is unwashed new knot the way I got it. The picture showing the brush hanging in my brush/razor hanger is the de-funked knot that I finally epoxied into the handle.
Beautiful set up.

0 606
 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
(09-01-2012, 05:34 PM)vferdman Wrote: The Omega boar knots (I got two identical ones just in case and make shipping per knot cheaper) from TGN came in today. I opened up the hole to accept the plastic "bucket" of the Omega knot. About 1" in diameter is what it took. Here is a picture of a dry fit.

I really like the three layer look that the supporting cup makes!

Great work!

1 2,827
 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-21-2013, 01:12 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I really like the three layer look that the supporting cup makes!

Great work!

Thank you, Gary. I just used this brush this morning. It has become one of my favorite boars. The bristles are broken in now and are just wonderful. I have another one of these I made at the same time and set into a Stanley Home Products Bakelite handle. Same brush, pretty much. Just awesome. This knot is fantastic. The black ring seems to work in most handles. It either hides itself in a black handle or provides a nice contrast. On the ER 100T handle, however, it is especially nice looking.

Here are more brushes I made with this knot:

Stanley Home Products

Whipped Dog resin handle in black and black marble

All winners, but I think I may have too many of this brush Smile

25 1,705
 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Absolutely stunning. Congrats!! Very nice work.

14 870
 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Nice work! It is noce to watch aseries ending in a great product!
~Richard

8 1,190