Poll: Merkur Progress vs Parker Variant
 09-02-2017, 01:04 AM
User Info
Merkur Progress and Parker Variant:

What are the differences between them in terms of aggressiveness, efficiency and comfort?
If you had to choose from both of them what was your choice?
Thank you very much Smile

0 85
 09-02-2017, 09:55 AM
User Info
I feel like the fit and alignment of the Variant is better out of the box which leads to a smoother less effort shave.  Overall they are very close though.

23 1,938
 09-03-2017, 02:12 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(09-02-2017, 09:55 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: I feel like the fit and alignment of the Variant is better out of the box which leads to a smoother less effort shave.  Overall they are very close though.

Couldn,t have said it better....for the money the PARKER 100%....for the shave....PARKER 100%...for the looks and feel...PARKER 100%

6 2,200
 09-06-2017, 03:47 PM
User Info
Very close. Parker  is half a number milder for me. 2.5 on Progress and 3.0 on Parker

59 334
 09-08-2017, 02:11 AM
User Info
Parker Variant all the way. It's so good I bought both versions just in case.
It looks way better for me than the progress, has better balance and shaves much more smoothly. The numbers align, no fuss there and when I put a drop of oil on the moving parts the action became butter smooth. One of my favourites and gets more use than the others on the rotation.

0 448
 09-15-2017, 09:14 PM
User Info
After a short handle progress, long handle progress and a futur, my take on Merkur is that producing a well aligned razor is not what they are in to, at least not in recent years. Even the matte coating on my futur is flaking, and it didn't see much use. 
Heck, even a Lord L6 is perfectly aligned... 

Anyway, how is the alignment with Parker?

8 952
 09-16-2017, 09:11 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(09-15-2017, 09:14 PM)Galhatz Wrote: After a short handle progress, long handle progress and a futur, my take on Merkur is that producing a well aligned razor is not what they are in to, at least not in recent years. Even the matte coating on my futur is flaking, and it didn't see much use. 

Unless one is an engineer or a fanatic I see no problems and have had no issues at all...truly a great razor at a very fair price.

6 2,200
 09-16-2017, 09:34 AM
User Info
(09-15-2017, 09:14 PM)Galhatz Wrote: After a short handle progress, long handle progress and a futur, my take on Merkur is that producing a well aligned razor is not what they are in to, at least not in recent years. Even the matte coating on my futur is flaking, and it didn't see much use. 

Just curious, what vintage is your flaky Futur. A newish one? My Qshave is holding up so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2 473
 09-16-2017, 04:55 PM
User Info
I've had a Mergress and currently have the Variant. The Parker Variant is exceptional.

Out of the box, weight, handle grip and adjustability beat the Mergress hands down IMO. Great versatile razor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 470
 09-16-2017, 06:26 PM
User Info
(09-16-2017, 04:55 PM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote: I've had a Mergress and currently have the Variant. The Parker Variant is exceptional.

Out of the box, weight, handle grip and adjustability beat the Mergress hands down IMO.

I twist the knob on my Progress and it adjusts, smoothly and consistently. What am I missing here? The Variant somehow adjusts more better-er?

Now some have said the Variant is more aggressive at the same settings..which may be a statement of fact but I don't see how it's an advantage. It's an adjustable, you just keep the Progress at 4.5 instead of 4. If someone needs to shave with their Variant wide open (on 11) to get a good shave ...well it's probably the user's technique that needs adjustment rather than the razor.

2 473
 09-17-2017, 04:08 AM
User Info
(09-16-2017, 04:55 PM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote: I've had a Mergress and currently have the Variant. The Parker Variant is exceptional.

Out of the box, weight, handle grip and adjustability beat the Mergress hands down IMO. Great versatile razor!

+1

58 592
 09-17-2017, 09:18 AM
User Info
(09-16-2017, 06:26 PM)jmudrick Wrote:

Out of the box, weight, handle grip and adjustability beat the Mergress hands down IMO.

I twist the knob on my Progress and it adjusts, smoothly and consistently. What am I missing here? The Variant somehow adjusts more better-er?

Now some have said the Variant is more aggressive at the same settings..which may be a statement of fact but I don't see how it's an advantage. It's an adjustable, you just keep the Progress at 4.5 instead of 4. If someone needs to shave with their Variant wide open (on 11) to get a good shave ...well it's probably the user's technique that needs adjustment rather than the razor.

I doubt there's a huge difference between the two. Could be I'm just getting better with my technique.

I simply find the Variants combination of heft, handle grip, and adjustability to be superior for me.

32 470
 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM
User Info
(09-17-2017, 09:18 AM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote:
(09-16-2017, 06:26 PM)jmudrick Wrote:

I doubt there's a huge difference between the two. Could be I'm just getting better with my technique.

I simply find the Variants combination of heft, handle grip, and adjustability to be superior for me.

Excuse me but what do you mean by adjustability? I've dropped the sarcasm and am asking nicely.

2 473
 09-17-2017, 09:28 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I think all of us Variant fans are saying that for the money the razor is better built and smoother.....they are both good razors but the Variant is better made and finished and nicer to use.....shall we say simply it looks and feels better....but as usual whatever works is the one YOU LIKE.

6 2,200
 09-17-2017, 11:51 AM
User Info
(09-16-2017, 09:34 AM)jmudrick Wrote:

Just curious, what vintage is your flaky Futur. A newish one? My Qshave is holding up so far.

The Futur I bought it in 2015 from connaught.
I haven't used it much, and it was on the shelf for most of the time. Last year I noticed the coating is flaking off.
Alignment has been a problem with it since day one. One side has more blade exposure. This issue is not new and the description for the Futur at TSS flat out spells it out. It is a shame because the head design is brilliant. The execution is, well , pathetic.
I might pick up the chinese clone, I just don't care much for the idea of a PRC made razor.

8 952
 09-18-2017, 05:27 AM
User Info
[/quote]Excuse me but what do you mean by adjustability? I've dropped the sarcasm and am asking nicely.

[/quote]

Regarding adjustability, I found the Variant to FEEL more precise when adjusting. I felt my Mergress, when adjusted, was inconsistent.

My technique at the time may have added to my negative impression. Many love their Mergress/Progress. I simply prefer the Variant.

YMMV of course.

32 470
 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 05:27 AM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excuse me but what do you mean by adjustability? I've dropped the sarcasm and am asking nicely.

[/quote]

Regarding adjustability, I found the Variant to FEEL more precise when adjusting. I felt my Mergress, when adjusted, was inconsistent.

My technique at the time may have added to my negative impression. Many love their Mergress/Progress. I simply prefer the Variant.

YMMV of course. [/quote]

I haven't disassembled a Variant, happy to be corrected, but AFAIK both razors employ the same adjustment mechanism. Aside from the individual calibration of each razor I don't see how one could be more precise then the other.

2 473
 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 08:25 AM)jmudrick Wrote:

YMMV of course. [/quote]

I haven't disassembled a Variant, happy to be corrected, but AFAIK both razors employ the same adjustment mechanism. Aside from the individual calibration of each razor I don't see how one could be more precise then the other.

[/quote]

I also like the variant for all the reasons mentioned on all the other posts above and yes you are right. The Variant and the progress employ the same mechanism. I have taken them both apart on occasion to clean the insides and they both have the split collar holding the adjustment dial in place.

0 448
 09-18-2017, 09:32 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
For some strange reason I assumed the Variant was not like the Progress in this manner  (the split ring) and tried an allen wrench etc and now as with my others I quickly removed it and am even more pleased...just pull and like magic it comes apart...thanks for the tip.

6 2,200
 09-18-2017, 06:00 PM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 08:47 AM)kyproset Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 08:25 AM)jmudrick Wrote:

YMMV of course.

[/quote]

I also like the variant for all the reasons mentioned on all the other posts above and yes you are right. The Variant and the progress employ the same mechanism. I have taken them both apart on occasion to clean the insides and they both have the split collar holding the adjustment dial in place.
[/quote]

You can argue with me as much as you like. In my experience with both the Mergress and the Parker Variant, I stand by my statements. The Variant is less sloppy.

Is that good enough or would you like to continue this back and forth?

32 470