08-26-2012, 10:39 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I made the switch at 47 years old after using electrics of every sort since the age of 13.
My Dad was an electric only shaver so that was my introduction.
I never saw him put a blade to his face and when I asked him about it, he'd always say, "whadda want that nonsense for??" Smile

Of course, he had fine, blonde hair that took all of 5 minutes to shave off with his Norelco. Not me!

I don't recall ever getting a decent shave from any rotary, foil, etc. etc. electric razor. I have no idea why I tolerated it for so long.

Yes, I've tried about 5 or 6 different multi-blade contraptions,some disposable, some not,(well all disposable- worthy IMO) somewhere over the years, all with horrible results.

One day, I just decided to transition to DE and to do it properly and now, very thankfully I use DE's and various SE's exclusively. No more electrics.

I have no desire to look back to the electric shaving realm.

Anyone else with a similar background???

6 905
 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I tried one twice. Once when I was 16 and again at about 35. My beard is just too rough for it and it was painful.

116 3,804
 08-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I'm not a guy and I only used an electric as a teen and very shortly about 10 years ago but discarded it because it was anything but a good shave!

But my hubby did. He used electrics since he started shaving and very rarely used a disposable and a can of goo after we got married. He might have used the goo just a handful of times over the years.

When I first introduced him to wet shaving with a DE and brush/soap he would still use his electric occasionally. Then it got to the point where if he didn't have time to shave or was too tired to shave he just skipped shaving all together rather than pull the electric out.

I don't remember when but it was some time ago that I got tired of dusting the electric and it just went into the trash! He never noticed. [Image: 666faa02.gif]

He gets a much closer shave with the DE. In fact I believe his face is smoother 10 hours after a DE shave than 5 minutes after an electric shave! [Image: give_heart_girl.gif] Least to say I do appreciate that factor myself!

7 405
 08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I used electrics of all makes off and on over a period of years. They are terrible. First off you never get a really clean shave. But the worst part of using an electric is irritation.

100 12,448
 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM
User Info
I used a Norelco and a Remmington for yearrrsss before I found a Gillette Tech at a local thrift shop, VDH, Persona blades from Walmart, and a shave forum to figure out what to do. There was always irritation and never a good smooth shave with the electrics. I've been a BBS happy camper since the switch and wouldn't go back. I sold my Norelco at a rummage sale last summer. The Remmington I can't really tell you where it went. I just don't miss them at all.

1 345
 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
i used to use an electric razor for twenty years before i made the switch. i had enough of the tugging that i needed to find something better. i can not believe it took me so long, but my dad did not show me the proper way to shave even though he was using a Gillette DE razor from Portugal. However, unfortunately, he transitioned to the carts. i will never go back, again. Thank goodness. i already have razors and brushes for me son when he begins to shave in 5-6 years. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
Started with DE and canned foam, moved to brush and bowl, eventually to cartridge razors with gel, then to electrics, for many, many years.

I could shave with the electric in my sleep, which was an advantage during my working years. The ability to get rid of whiskers quickly, without having to pay attention, was a great time saver, or so I though.

Recently (about 2 years ago or so) returned to DE, brush and bowl (now I face lather, using a mug only to soak the brush). I can get a clean shave almost as quickly as with an electric, and my skin is much healthier.

Pretty much full circle!

1 108
 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
I absolutely could not get a good shave from an electric! I think my hair grows too sideways close to my skin. I would work at it for a long time, until the razor got hot from the motor and friction. So much that I would be irritated not only by the crappy shave but the heat! It felt like the only way I could get the hair sometimes was to practically grind the razor down hard against my face, which of course sucked. I'd have patches and stray whiskers when I couldn't take it anymore... it was miserable. I tried both foil and rotary type razors. The last one I had pumped out this goo which didnt help.

I honestly could never understand how any guy used one effectively, let alone enjoy it!

4 253
 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM
User Info
I started off with electric shavers when I first started shaving. I used a Braun and then moved onto a Norelco Shaver. I attempted to use a cartridge razor but each time that I would use it I would tear up my face and go back to the electric shaver. I started getting tired of all the neck irritation from the electric shaver especially when the shaver heads would start to get hot, my neck looked and felt horrible. Fast forward to when I was getting married in 2009. I wanted to get my groomsmen a gift that I would be unique and different from a flask or a cigar and holder. I bought everyone a Merkur 23c and a shaving soap and boar brushes. After I got back from my honeymoon that is when I started to shave with the Merkur and never went back to Electric. It took a good month for me to be comfortable with double edge shaving.

I dont really have much irritation and my skin is not dried out like when I used the Electric Shaver.

0 91
 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM
User Info
I actually use a Braun foil as a finisher below the nose and around corners of my mouth.

0 25