09-05-2017, 06:36 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
This is one of those very few times when I do not mind sounding almost like a "fan-boy." The reason is my recent experience with  Aether - a tallow/duck fat based shaving soap by GroomingDept, which I purchased more then a week ago when it was just released. However, I was traveling until yesterday and was only able to try the Aether soap this evening.

WOW!!!

I used one of my most aggressive DE razors (Weber PH) and did the soap deliver! Scent (to my nose - most natural mint), copious lather, shaving properties, post-shave feel – all are TOP NOTHCH! Three passes and a bit of clean up resulted in a stellar BBS with no irritation. Did not need any aftershave, but could not resist and used my favorite Floid Blue. Fantastic pairing IMHO!

I also purchased a few vegetal GroomingDept soaps - Voyage, Yuzu, and Magnolia. Will be shaving with them  throughout this week and will post a more elaborate review with photos as I complete each individual shave. Meanwhile, I would like to invite other fellow TSNookers to share their experience with this relatively new, but very impressive shaving soap - both tallow and vegetal/vegan versions.

Happy Shaves!
Alex

112 1,473
 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM
User Info
Good report

3 142
 09-06-2017, 03:23 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Here is my report on Neroli de Bois - a new vegetal/vegan shaving soap by GroomingDept. To begin, I did a test lather in a suribachi bowl, so I could take photos at different stages of the process. For my shave I cleaned the brush, loaded again for 30 seconds and face-lathered. The shave was absolutely delightful and tranquil. This vegetal soap's lather feels lighter than the one I got from the Aether, but without any adverse consequences to its shaving properties or post shave feel. The residual slickness is not as pronounced and long lasting comparing to the lather I got from the Aether either. However, it was more than enough to ensure that the razor glided smoothly and effortlessly for the entire shave and clean up. I used the same Weber/Astra combination. I waited 15 minutes after the shave and, as yesterday, I did not feel that I needed to apply any aftershave. And as yesterday, I could not pass on using my other favorite aftershave - the Genuine by Floid. 

Scent is very subjective and my nose is not the most educated instrument Smile. However, I must say that I liked the strength and the sophistication of the Neroli scent. From the four soaps that I purchased, Neroli is my number 3, the Aether and Voyage are holding the first and second places. 

Here are some pictures:

loaded for 30 seconds
[Image: DYB8C2n.jpg]

Lathering 30 seconds
[Image: kpYyJLv.jpg]

Lathering 1 minute
[Image: rYuLyPe.jpg]

Lathering 2 minutes

[Image: iCSA8c0.jpg]

Final result (after 3 minutes)
[Image: EyY3RKW.jpg]

I swear I did not arrange it... Smile
[Image: krgEmHQ.jpg]

Yield
[Image: joBh4R8.jpg]

SOTD
[Image: qhuKC9U.jpg]

112 1,473
 09-06-2017, 03:52 PM
User Info
Awesome reviews. Thanks for sharing.

0 46
 09-07-2017, 12:32 PM
User Info
Really nice lather.  Sounds like a quality product.

2 1,430
 09-07-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
duck fat sounds interesting...

31 734
 09-08-2017, 09:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Nice photos. Duck fat may be a great lubricant for a shave soap. Yes, sounds interesting.

6 2,061
 09-09-2017, 12:33 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Thank you! I used my Aether today again, but this time I was prepared to take photos! the shave was as spectacular as all shaves with GroomingDept soaps, but this tallow/duck fat formulation continues to mightily impress me with its slickness, protection, lather stability and post-shave feel. here is some pictures of my sublime shaving experience from this morning:

loaded for 30 sec.
[Image: sUZ2Z3S.jpg]

3minutes lathering
[Image: JcPbXVK.jpg]

final volume (around 4 minutes)
[Image: 308FBz8.jpg]

SOTD
[Image: PMh8qaf.jpg]

112 1,473
 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM
User Info
I used mine for the first time Sunday on a two day growth with an also new to me Filarmonica straight, and I used both again this morning.  Both performed admirably.  The Aether soap has a wonderful peppermint scent - not overpowering and just a little sweeter to my nose than my all time favorite Le Savons des Volcans.  I concur completely with the previous posts re slickness, lubrication and post shave feel.  This is a wonderful product.

I really like the donkey milk soaps and have felt that if someone is willing to milk a donkey to make shave soap they deserve my support.  Likewise, if Mohammed is willing to defat a duck, I figure I owe him a shot.

Brent

9 54
 09-11-2017, 02:56 PM
User Info
Dang you Alex! I just ordered some. Smile

Of course it's in honor of Disney re-releasing Duck Tales this month is how I justified it to the family Wink!

99 1,365
 09-11-2017, 04:35 PM
User Info
I concur that the Grooming Dept Beef Tallow and Duck Fat soap is outstanding! Their vegan soaps are no slouch either, I feel they have slightly less cushion than the Tallow version but are extremely slick and have really good post shave properties.

My top American artisan soaps as of now are the following:

Grooming Dept Beef Tallow + Duck Fat
Wholly Kaw with Donkey Milk
Grooming Dept Vegan

8 842
 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM
User Info
I have just about every single donkey milk version of Wholly Kaw and it is in the top spot on my soap list. My top soaps in order are;
Wholly Kaw (donkey milk versions)
Sapone Di Paolo
CRSW
Shannon's Soaps
Catties Bubbles
I am about to order this Aether if people say it's as good or better than Wholly Kaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 832
 09-11-2017, 05:37 PM
User Info
(09-11-2017, 04:51 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I have just about every single donkey milk version of Wholly Kaw and it is in the top spot on my soap list. My top soaps in order are;
Sapone Di Paolo
CRSW
Shannon's Soaps
Catties Bubbles
I am about to order this Aether if people say it's as good or better than Wholly Kaw.

Damn, sold out!!

0 832
 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(09-11-2017, 02:56 PM)Boonie21 Wrote: Dang you Alex!  I just ordered some. Smile

Of course it's in honor of Disney re-releasing Duck Tales this month is how I justified it to the family Wink!

Cheers

112 1,473
 09-11-2017, 05:44 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(09-11-2017, 04:51 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I have just about every single donkey milk version of Wholly Kaw and it is in the top spot on my soap list.  My top soaps in order are;
Sapone Di Paolo
CRSW
Shannon's Soaps
Catties Bubbles

I have both brands (WK and GD) and while I thoroughly enjoy WK with donkey milk, I reach for the GroomingDept soaps more often

112 1,473
 09-11-2017, 06:01 PM
User Info
(09-11-2017, 05:44 PM)ARGH Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 04:51 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I have just about every single donkey milk version of Wholly Kaw and it is in the top spot on my soap list.  My top soaps in order are;
Sapone Di Paolo
CRSW
Shannon's Soaps
Catties Bubbles

I have both brands (WK and GD) and while I thoroughly enjoy WK with donkey milk, I reach for the GroomingDept soaps more often

Should I try one of the Vegan formulas?

0 832
 09-11-2017, 06:09 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
in my opinion - absolutely YES!

112 1,473
 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
User Info
(09-11-2017, 06:09 PM)ARGH Wrote: in my opinion - absolutely YES!

Which one is your favorite or which one would you go with first.

0 832
 09-11-2017, 06:14 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
The only problem i had with the vegan formula is that Mohammad introduced way too many amazing scent profiles at the same time Smile

In his initial formula my favorite are Vetiver, Patchouli , and Basique. In his new vegan formula - Voyage, Ambra, and Magnolia.

112 1,473
 09-11-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
(09-11-2017, 06:14 PM)ARGH Wrote: The only problem i had with the vegan formula is that Mohammad introduced way too many amazing scent profiles at the same time Smile

In his initial formula my favorite are Vetiver, Patchouli , and Basique. In his new vegan formula - Voyage, Ambra, and Magnolia.

I was leaning toward Ambra so I'll try that one first and then when the Aether comes back in stock, I'll get a couple more.

0 832