09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
on September 25 Mohammad is releasing two new tallow/duck fat soaps - Credence (lemon & violet) and Ambrosia (Pipe tobacco with a twist)

112 1,466
 09-12-2017, 04:17 AM
User Info
(09-11-2017, 07:44 PM)ARGH Wrote: on September 25 Mohammad is releasing two new tallow/duck fat soaps - Credence (lemon & violet) and Ambrosia (Pipe tobacco with a twist)

Think I'll just wait for those. I really want the duck fat soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 830
 09-12-2017, 06:06 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
It is certainly worth the wait! Just to reiterate that this soap base has both duck fat and beef tallow combined. I also think that his vegan soaps are something that is very special and is worth of trying.

112 1,466
 09-12-2017, 11:24 PM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 06:06 AM)ARGH Wrote: It is certainly worth the wait! Just to reiterate that this soap base has both duck fat and beef tallow combined. I also think that his vegan soaps are something that is very special and is worth of trying.

Hopefully when he releases the new duck fat soaps, Aether will also be available.

0 830
 09-13-2017, 01:34 AM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 11:24 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 06:06 AM)ARGH Wrote: It is certainly worth the wait! Just to reiterate that this soap base has both duck fat and beef tallow combined. I also think that his vegan soaps are something that is very special and is worth of trying.

Hopefully when he releases the new duck fat soaps, Aether will also be available.

Got an email from Mohammed that said aether Wong be back until Spring of 2018.

99 1,358
 09-13-2017, 01:36 AM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 11:24 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote:

Got an email from Mohammed that said Aether won't be back until Spring of 2018.

99 1,358
 09-17-2017, 05:17 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I learned today that Mohammad is launching his new duck fat only soap base on September 25!

112 1,466
 09-18-2017, 12:07 PM
User Info
Aether is an absolute top tier soap, perhaps the best I've ever used.  I'm sure many will read and think here we go, another "best soap ever" comment.  I know this is subjective and completely opinionated so I'll throw my reasoning in here.... 

Do you remember the first shave you had with your first truly outstanding soap?  I sure do, it was 2012 with Mike's Natural and I remember thinking, "this stuff is on a whole different level".  I've since spent the better part of the next 5 years trying to chase the that feeling of "wow" and for the first few years I was successful.  However at some point this came to an end, all new artisan soaps were at a minimum very, very good and very rarely was anything cracking my Pantheon of all time greats. I kept buying new soaps that were excellent but nothing differentiated them in terms of performance or scent, not that I didn't keep trying... and last week I tried Aether.

My first sniff off the puck was not favorable, lots of peppermint, not much else, didn't look that promising either a completely flat soap (no nooks and crannies like that of a hand poured offering). Then I lathered it and by the second swirl of my brush I knew it was going to be special, soap tendrils were already forming at the tips of my brush, and there was a sense of suction between the brush and soap. As I started to build the lather the scent hit me, sweet citrus followed by cedar and sage and that initial blast of peppermint off the puck was now in the background. My wife has put up with me test lathering a ton of soaps and this was the first time she has ever wandered up to the bathroom comment on one. "That one smells incredible,  now you can toss the couple hundred other ones you have that stink away" she said and walked back downstairs. From my wife, no higher praise can be given. 

On to the performance, typically I categorize soaps based on how they feel on the face; light and slick, dense and unctuous, yogurty, etc... this soap has to me the all the best qualities, it lathers quickly, but not instantly and the transition from proto lather to final lather does not have much variation in density, so there is little guesswork in terms of adding water.  Most really dense lather feels heavy on the face but this manages to somehow stay thick while feeling light. So it's a dense, slick lather that feels light on the face, not too many of those out there. The shave itself was excellent, 3 passes with an 8/8 Wacker where I literally could not feel the blade on my face, post shave- again excellent, buttery smooth, no heat, no tightness, no indication I had ever put a blade on my face outside of the absence of whiskers. 

Anyway that's enough rambling on... bottom line, to me this is top shelf soap. It smells wonderful, its complex and the scent changes over time, opening up throughout the shave, no small feat in itself. The lather performs incredibly and it does so without any fussing to get it there. Lastly the post shave is legitimately good enough to skip the aftershave, I know a ton of soaps claim this to be true but honestly how many actually fit that bill?  I've got over 300 soaps in my den and the number that are world class in all of these categories are far and few between, but now I can add Aether to this list.

3 253
 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 12:07 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: Aether is an absolute top tier soap, perhaps the best I've ever used.  I'm sure many will read and think here we go, another "best soap ever" comment.  I know this is subjective and completely opinionated so I'll throw my reasoning in here.... 

Do you remember the first shave you had with your first truly outstanding soap?  I sure do, it was 2012 with Mike's Natural and I remember thinking, "this stuff is on a whole different level".  I've since spent the better part of the next 5 years trying to chase the that feeling of "wow" and for the first few years I was successful.  However at some point this came to an end, all new artisan soaps were at a minimum very, very good and very rarely was anything cracking my Pantheon of all time greats. I kept buying new soaps that were excellent but nothing differentiated them in terms of performance or scent, not that I didn't keep trying... and last week I tried Aether.

My first sniff off the puck was not favorable, lots of peppermint, not much else, didn't look that promising either a completely flat soap (no nooks and crannies like that of a hand poured offering). Then I lathered it and by the second swirl of my brush I knew it was going to be special, soap tendrils were already forming at the tips of my brush, and there was a sense of suction between the brush and soap. As I started to build the lather the scent hit me, sweet citrus followed by cedar and sage and that initial blast of peppermint off the puck was now in the background. My wife has put up with me test lathering a ton of soaps and this was the first time she has ever wandered up to the bathroom comment on one. "That one smells incredible,  now you can toss the couple hundred other ones you have that stink away" she said and walked back downstairs. From my wife, no higher praise can be given. 

On to the performance, typically I categorize soaps based on how they feel on the face; light and slick, dense and unctuous, yogurty, etc... this soap has to me the all the best qualities, it lathers quickly, but not instantly and the transition from proto lather to final lather does not have much variation in density, so there is little guesswork in terms of adding water.  Most really dense lather feels heavy on the face but this manages to somehow stay thick while feeling light. So it's a dense, slick lather that feels light on the face, not too many of those out there. The shave itself was excellent, 3 passes with an 8/8 Wacker where I literally could not feel the blade on my face, post shave- again excellent, buttery smooth, no heat, no tightness, no indication I had ever put a blade on my face outside of the absence of whiskers. 

Anyway that's enough rambling on... bottom line, to me this is top shelf soap. It smells wonderful, its complex and the scent changes over time, opening up throughout the shave, no small feat in itself. The lather performs incredibly and it does so without any fussing to get it there. Lastly the post shave is legitimately good enough to skip the aftershave, I know a ton of soaps claim this to be true but honestly how many actually fit that bill?  I've got over 300 soaps in my den and the number that are world class in all of these categories are far and few between, but now I can add Aether to this list.

Wow, and I missed out on that one by a day!! I just ordered a couple of the Vegan soaps and I will be first in line for the next duck fat soaps on the 25th.

0 830
 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info
Good to see you posting Pomfretsteve. I have only tried the veggie formula so far but hope to try the next edition of the tallow/duck as I can't do peppermint. It just isn't a note my nose tolerates well.

79 1,323
 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM
User Info
I fully agree with the OP's assessment of this soap, it's truly outstanding! I even find myself missing it whenever I go with another soap for the days shave.

8 841
 09-18-2017, 05:26 PM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 01:46 PM)Dinder1 Wrote: I fully agree with the OP's assessment of this soap, it's truly outstanding! I even find myself missing it whenever I go with another soap for the days shave.

I can't stop using it or sniffing it Smile

99 1,358
 09-18-2017, 05:51 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Aether is a wonderful soap.  My first impression on sniffing it was that it reminded me of Irish Spring with a little peppermint kick to it.

42 589
 09-18-2017, 06:47 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
Mohammad has put a ton of time and research into his soaps, I'm not surprised to hear they are getting rave reviews. I love seeing new artisans get the attention they deserve when putting in the time like he has!

10 232
 09-19-2017, 08:34 AM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 01:02 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Good to see you posting Pomfretsteve. I have only tried the veggie formula so far but hope to try the next edition of the tallow/duck as I can't do peppermint. It just isn't a note my nose tolerates well.

Thanks, Zac, I took the summer off from social media and it really recharged my batteries!  Another thing it did was allow me to really evaluate my den and come to find out I have a metric crap ton of stuff I touted as "incredible" that is just very good. This Aether is the real deal, I used it again this morning and my face feels incredible. It's going to be extremely difficult to reach for anything else after trying this ... and you know much I love my Jabonman Tallow... but every other soap I own is in the rear view now.

3 253
 09-19-2017, 11:16 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
If this is made available, I'm interested.
If they follow the Bufflehead modus operandi, count me out.

59 2,667
 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I was following the development of this brand for a few months, and I found no evidence that Mohammad is in any way or manner going to follow the BH business model. Moreover, everything that I observed so far makes me think that Mohammad is committed to keep production (including new offerings) going as a full time business.

112 1,466
 09-20-2017, 08:16 AM
User Info
Grooming Dept. has soaps available for sale on the website now.  Aether was available on the website for weeks before selling out.  How does this equate to the Bufflehead supply situation?  A lot of people did not want to buy the soap until a lot of people really want to buy it now.  Mohammed and Mr. Bufflehead may have different goals for their soapmaking enterprises but either way the duck population is getting nervous and maybe the girl donkeys are looking forward to a little relief.

9 54
 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Sounds like an interesting soap, but I too do not chase shaving products. No lists, timers, calendars etc. I've tried tons of artisan products and while many are good and a very few are great, I haven't found any that surpass the old high-end standards that can be bought every day, like CF, ABC soft and hard soaps, AdP, and Valobra tallow. And I hope I Coloniali's shaving line is re-introduced soon.

Cheers, Steve

7 504
 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
User Info
Looks nice , I have always enjoyed a nice tallow soap.

60 1,444