09-20-2017, 10:09 AM
User Info
(09-20-2017, 08:53 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Sounds like an interesting soap, but I too do not chase shaving products. No lists, timers, calendars etc. I've tried tons of artisan products and while many are good and a very few are great, I haven't found any that surpass the old high-end standards that can be bought every day, like CF, ABC soft and hard soaps, AdP, and Valobra tallow. And I hope I Coloniali's shaving line is re-introduced soon.

Cheers, Steve

Quite the opposite of me. I have yet to use any old high end standard soaps, including vintage tallow versions, that makes my top ten with the exception of C&S (Valobra) offerings.  I find the difference typically to be in the post shave.

3 255
 09-20-2017, 03:04 PM
User Info
Just shaved with one of the Vegan formulas that was delivered today. I usually don’t like vegan formula soaps, I prefer the tallow formulas. Let me tell you.......this is some special soap and I usually don’t get too hyped up on soaps. I used Magnolia today and I was blown away at the performance, smell, quality, ease of use(loading and lather build), etc... This soap is on another level and I have a ton of higher end soaps. I can only imagine what the duck fat soaps are like. This was absolutely amazing and I didn’t even put on my usual aftershave. I shaved about an hour ago and I’m still feeling the smoothness of my face and smelling that Magnolia scent. Outstanding on all sides. I had the Magnolia and Voyage delivered today and after the Shave, I went right back to my computer and ordered the last scents he has in stock, Patchouli and Neroli Di Bois. I cannot wait to order all of the duck fat versions he releases Monday. This guy is putting it DOWN in his lab with whatever he is mixing up. Well done sir!! You now have a customer for life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 832
 09-20-2017, 03:32 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Mohammad's Patchouli is my all time most favorite patchouli scented shaving soap. I hope that one day he will release it in his new duck fat soap base.

112 1,473
 Yesterday, 07:13 AM
User Info
As of now, the Grooming Dept is sold out of everything except the Patchouli Vegan shaving soap. Those among us who are interested in the Patchouli probably would be well advised to buy it now before it too goes out of stock.

24 1,220
 Yesterday, 07:41 AM
User Info
When will the duck fat soaps go live?

99 1,365
 Yesterday, 07:55 AM
User Info
ARGH mentioned in another thread here that will go live this Friday.

2 42
 Yesterday, 08:09 AM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 12:07 PM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: Aether is an absolute top tier soap, perhaps the best I've ever used.  I'm sure many will read and think here we go, another "best soap ever" comment.  I know this is subjective and completely opinionated so I'll throw my reasoning in here.... 

Do you remember the first shave you had with your first truly outstanding soap?  I sure do, it was 2012 with Mike's Natural and I remember thinking, "this stuff is on a whole different level".  I've since spent the better part of the next 5 years trying to chase the that feeling of "wow" and for the first few years I was successful.  However at some point this came to an end, all new artisan soaps were at a minimum very, very good and very rarely was anything cracking my Pantheon of all time greats. I kept buying new soaps that were excellent but nothing differentiated them in terms of performance or scent, not that I didn't keep trying... and last week I tried Aether.

My first sniff off the puck was not favorable, lots of peppermint, not much else, didn't look that promising either a completely flat soap (no nooks and crannies like that of a hand poured offering). Then I lathered it and by the second swirl of my brush I knew it was going to be special, soap tendrils were already forming at the tips of my brush, and there was a sense of suction between the brush and soap. As I started to build the lather the scent hit me, sweet citrus followed by cedar and sage and that initial blast of peppermint off the puck was now in the background. My wife has put up with me test lathering a ton of soaps and this was the first time she has ever wandered up to the bathroom comment on one. "That one smells incredible,  now you can toss the couple hundred other ones you have that stink away" she said and walked back downstairs. From my wife, no higher praise can be given. 

On to the performance, typically I categorize soaps based on how they feel on the face; light and slick, dense and unctuous, yogurty, etc... this soap has to me the all the best qualities, it lathers quickly, but not instantly and the transition from proto lather to final lather does not have much variation in density, so there is little guesswork in terms of adding water.  Most really dense lather feels heavy on the face but this manages to somehow stay thick while feeling light. So it's a dense, slick lather that feels light on the face, not too many of those out there. The shave itself was excellent, 3 passes with an 8/8 Wacker where I literally could not feel the blade on my face, post shave- again excellent, buttery smooth, no heat, no tightness, no indication I had ever put a blade on my face outside of the absence of whiskers. 

Anyway that's enough rambling on... bottom line, to me this is top shelf soap. It smells wonderful, its complex and the scent changes over time, opening up throughout the shave, no small feat in itself. The lather performs incredibly and it does so without any fussing to get it there. Lastly the post shave is legitimately good enough to skip the aftershave, I know a ton of soaps claim this to be true but honestly how many actually fit that bill?  I've got over 300 soaps in my den and the number that are world class in all of these categories are far and few between, but now I can add Aether to this list.

Enjoyed reading your review! I could imagine how incredible this soap might be actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 770
 Yesterday, 08:42 AM
User Info
I have two Skullbuster Soaps if you would like to try.

No charge.

Send me your address.

Ian

0 9
 Yesterday, 08:57 AM
User Info
From GD FaceBook page it looks like the duck soaps will release today ... not sure what time though ...

99 1,365
 Yesterday, 09:19 AM
User Info
(Yesterday, 08:57 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: From GD FaceBook page it looks like the duck soaps will release today ... not sure what time though ...

FB page now says the new soaps release has been postponed to Friday Sept. 29th, 11:00 PDT.

24 1,220