09-06-2017, 09:58 AM
User Info
Good afternoon, Gentlemen!  

With the summer vacation season and Labor Day behind us, Nancy and I wanted to let you know that we've been able to cut the lead time on new Morris & Forndran shaving brushes to Two - Three (and hopefully closer to two!) months.  At the same time, we should be able to turn around new BSSW brushes within about Two Weeks. 

And of course our ReadyMade offerings continue at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

Why the changes?  The short version is that over the summer we've been able to clear the order backlog that's plagued us ever since Lee and I announced our collaboration some 11 months ago.  That means we can now ship M&F handles to the UK within about a week of getting an order.  The BSSW brushes usually take an extra week to finish the extra work involved in imprinting the handles and allowing our imprinting inks to fully cure*.

Bottom line: we are seriously open for business!

*Inquiring minds might ask:  what does "fully cure" mean?  Simply this.  Lee and I imprint our brush handles with high-tech inks designed to exhibit excellent adhesion to difficult substrates like stainless steel, brass and, of course, hard plastics.  These inks have been shown to offer superior mechanical and chemical resistance to chemicals such as alcohol, acids, and alkali.  (It's also interesting to note that these inks are widely used in the medical device industry.)  These inks cure by chemical cross-linking with the substrate (in our case, the plastic used in the brush handle.)  Although this cross-linking is sped-up by the application of heat, hard plastic brush handles--especially our multi-resin handles which are held together with CA glue--can only tolerate heat up to ~368 deg. F (187 deg. C) before before the CA begins to break down.  (In fairness, we've not tested that limit simply because I don't know that the plastic itself would hold up to that kind of heat!)  For that reason, Nancy and I "bake" our BSSW handles in a warm oven at a more modest 170 deg F. (77 deg. C) for about 30 minutes.  That, according to the ink manufacturer, is supposed to provide a complete cure, and make the imprint "dishwasher safe."  (Although we do Not recommend running our brushes through the dishwasher!  Confused )  Nevertheless, we still prefer to give them a few days additional time at room temperature to be sure they'll hold up for you, our patrons.

Now for some micro-trivia.  I think most of us have seen the faded impressions on brushes made 40-50 (and more) years ago and simply attributed that fading to age and/or use.  But that might not be the whole story.  Several weeks ago, Lee and I were talking about this and he shared an interesting tidbit.  It seems that years ago, London merchants were having problems with people returning used brushes claiming they were new and demanding full refunds on brushes that, to the educated eye, were obviously used.  So for that reason, I'm told that Vulfix, Rooney, Simpson (and others) began using inks that would at least partially fade the first time they were wetted.  Problem solved. 

Have a great day, Everyone!

2 629
 09-08-2017, 05:15 AM
User Info
Good morning/afternoon, Gentlemen!

Nancy & I just listed two more M&F brushes to our ReadyMade Collection:  a Moonjava 2XL Finest Badger and a 3XL Blonde Badger in exotic Snow Leopard resin.

See the details at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

[Image: MpfjPgQ.jpg]

[Image: mULihGw.jpg]

Thanks again for your time--and best wishes for a great weekend!

2 629
 09-15-2017, 07:48 AM
User Info
Good Morning/Afternoon, Gentlemen.  

We've just added some new Morris & Forndran 2XL and 3XL shaving brushes to our ReadyMade Collection. Here are some photos, and you can see more at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

[Image: TGaAxE6.jpg]
A Finest 3XL in Rose Perla resin

[Image: 5BTLLtk.jpg]
Another 3XL Finest in Zebra

[Image: g1g5i9g.jpg]
A 2XL Finest in Orange/Blue Stripe

[Image: ovBsPvi.jpg]
and Last but not Least, a 2XL Finest in Black/Gold resin

Thanks much for your time and please accept Nancy's and my best wishes for a great weekend!

2 629
 09-18-2017, 08:52 AM
User Info
Introducing the Knight!

We all know there's nothing truly new under the sun.  (But we believe the Knight comes close!)  This distinctive shaving brush pays homage to the Morris & Forndran/Rooney Style 1 but with an elongated 60mm tall handle that makes the Knight a natural for bowl lathering.  At the same time, the ferrule displays a gentle "S" profile that echos and enhances the Knight's already distinctive elegance.

Shown in our new pure white Porcelain resin with a central Tortoiseshell resin ring, the Knight may be ordered in your choice of resins shown in our current Resin Inventory.  The Knight may be fitted with our Fan or Bulb 2-Band Silvertip knot. 

The First Edition Knight shown here is hand-crafted in our new Porcelain resin with a Tortoiseshell resin band. It's available at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes (You can, of course, order the Knight in different colors at http://bit.ly/BSSW_Bowl_Lathering_Brushes )

(And BTW, the Knight also marks the introduction of our new, enhanced imprinting process. Imprinted at 1,500 dots per inch, our logos are now over 20 times sharper than the web standard 72 dots per inch!.)

[Image: rw0I4UD.jpg]

[Image: PdgwqzP.jpg]

We hope you will consider adding the Knight to your own shave den.

Thanks again for your time!

2 629
 09-19-2017, 12:46 PM
User Info
That's a very classy looking brush Brad.

61 1,580
 09-22-2017, 07:17 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen!

Here are two new Morris & Forndran brushes just added to our ReadyMade Collection:  a 2XL in Disco Haze and a one-off Style 3 brush in Dark Coral with an "in-between" sized 27mm knot. All the details can be seen at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

[Image: fIrMGG3.jpg]

[Image: SZos3nb.jpg]

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2 629
 09-28-2017, 03:32 AM
User Info
Responding to several requests, our new Knight shaving brush is now available in a Morris & Forndran version, which can be ordered at http://bit.ly/TheKnightShaveBrush

Below are two new BSSW Knights, with our 2-Band Silvertips, going out to their new homes.  As a reminder, the BSSW Knight is introductory priced at $150.00 through September 30.

Lime and Cream Alpolina
[Image: i1uF0UW.jpg]
[Image: Z5MHTkN.jpg]

Malachite and Cream Alpolina
[Image: VlkbVVC.jpg]
[Image: achO2su.jpg]

Have a great day, Gentlemen.

2 629
 09-29-2017, 06:52 AM
User Info
Having made it through yet another week, we just listed three new Morris & Forndran Finest Badgers to our ReadyMade collection at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes - a 28mm 2XL in Malachite, a 26mm S8 in Purple Haze, and a 26mm L7 in limited supply Purple/Gold.

[Image: cXVOa3k.jpg]

[Image: HQtj1vR.jpg]

[Image: SqjTCVA.jpg]

Have a great weekend, Genltemen.

2 629
 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
User Info
Some very special Morris & Forndran Shaving Brushes New to our ReadyMade Collection:  a Special Edition 30mm Finest Badger Emillion, followed by Finest Badger 2XL's in Cream Alpolina and a limited supply Purple and Black stripe. The Special Edition Emillion features a distinctive handle meticulously hand-crafted from four pieces of Malachite and Cream Alpolina resin, filled with Lee's Finest Badger in a fan profile at 52mm loft.

You are cordially invited to inspect these fine brushes and more at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

[Image: GiXfqcj.jpg]

[Image: QpfOzjq.jpg]

[Image: 3b4B71B.jpg]

Best wishes for a great weekend!

2 629
 10-10-2017, 05:02 AM
User Info
We've added some new Morris & Forndran and BSSW brushes to our ReadyMade Collection.  Details are available at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

Please note that any of our Readymade BSSW brushes can now be fitted with your choice of our Fan or Bulb 2-band Silvertips!

A 2XL in Tortoiseshell--Finest Fan
[Image: VqlA18A.jpg]

A 3XL in Tiger--Finest Fan
[Image: ZHClFmM.jpg]

A 28mm BSSW Archduke 2 in Lime with Cream Alpolina belt
[Image: dxLiXla.jpg]

And another Archduke 2 in Cream Alpolina with a Briarwood belt
[Image: ncow8O5.jpg]
Have a great day, Men!

2 629
 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen.  Here are some new "Disco Enhanced" brushes just added to our ReadyMade Collection.  More photos and information can be seen on our website at http://bit.ly/ReadyMadeBrushes

28mm Knight in Ebony with a Disco Haze ring
[Image: AIWHCga.jpg]

A 28mm Archduke II in Cobalt & Disco Haze
[Image: cvGRg64.jpg]

And a 28mm Archduke II in Lapis Lazuli complimented by (you guessed it) a Disco Ring!
[Image: vpvi4Dn.jpg]

Best wishes for a great day!

2 629
 10-12-2017, 06:45 AM
User Info
Good morning, Gentlemen!  Nancy and I are delighted to introduce our 200 Series line of brushes as faithful replicas of the old Rubbersets in modern material.  This brush might come as a surprise to those familiar with our normal design approach; so we have to credit this "deviation" to a long-time patron-turned-friend who persuaded us to make the Antique Ivory/Ebony brush pictured below.  It came out so well--and feels so good in the hand--that we decided to integrate the 200 into our regular offerings.

Available in 26, 28 and 30mm sizes, you can learn more on our website at http://bit.ly/BSSW200

[Image: epa2hZL.jpg]

[Image: FpMZjsF.jpg]

2 629
 10-12-2017, 07:29 AM
User Info
Very nice Brad.  We'll done!

50 6,259
 10-19-2017, 05:11 AM
User Info
We're getting ready to send these Amber and Cream Alpolina brush handles to Lee to be made into sample brushes to show to a few high-end London Men's Shops.

[Image: 0i1MkAC.jpg]

2 629
 10-19-2017, 05:39 AM
User Info
Brad, that's possibly the nicest, most faithful, reproduction of the 200 shape and essence I've seen. Very good. I'm picturing one with a fan knot. Even a big boar knot. It's not difficult to get one from an inexpensive donor brush for a quality boar. Some of us do enjoy them.

Your other post here. The second handle from the left, the XL2 above, is standing out to me too. 

Exciting stuff going on. Congratulations and best regards.

10 1,435
 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 05:39 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: Brad, that's possibly the nicest, most faithful, reproduction of the 200 shape and essence I've seen. Very good. I'm picturing one with a fan knot. Even a big boar knot. It's not difficult to get one from an inexpensive donor brush for a quality boar. Some of us do enjoy them.

Your other post here. The second handle from the left, the XL2 above, is standing out to me too. 

Exciting stuff going on. Congratulations and best regards.

I appreciate your kind words, Todd.  I'd like to think I put some effort into getting that 200 right; so yes, we're pretty excited about all you see here as well. 

We do have plenty of Fan badgers; so that profile is "easy stuff" as they say.  Regarding boars, TGN advertises a 27mm long boar knot that's pretty inexpensive.  I set a couple of them a few years ago on special request, but never used one; so I can't speak to its performance.  Nevertheless, if you--or anyone else--wants one, I'm happy to work up a quote.

Yes, that XL2 (second from the left) is one Lee asked me to make.  (I understand it just might end up in his personal collection. Biggrin )  We were talking the other night when he remarked that the amber and Alpolina resins were starting to grow on him; so I put two and two together (naturally coming up with five!) to develop the theme you see here.  His point was that the shops he's been talking to say they're looking for classically styled brushes that are "different."  If that makes sense.

Anyway, I can certainly replicate any of these brushes to order.  The XL2/2XL's--since they're Lee's designs--need to go to him for knotting/imprinting.  But because the Archduke and Knight are my designs, I can make them up in our 2-Band Silvertip with our imprint--or send them to Lee to work his magic. 

Again, I'm delighted that you appreciate our work!

Have a great day!

2 629
 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
User Info
Brad, that 200 series brush is truly one of the best looking brushes I have seen you produce, really gorgeous! How would you compare your current Two Band Badger knots to your earlier two bands that I believe you listed as Manchurian?

8 849
 10-20-2017, 03:25 AM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 04:37 PM)Dinder1 Wrote: Brad, that 200 series brush is truly one of the best looking brushes I have seen you produce, really gorgeous! How would you compare your current Two Band Badger knots to your earlier two bands that I believe you listed as Manchurian?

I'm glad you appreciate our 200 series!  They've been getting a lot of attention, that's for sure.

But to your question:  our 2-band Silvertips have slightly finer hair than the Manchurians we carried a year or so ago.  They've got the whitest tips of any non-bleached hair I've seen.  The biggest difference is that the Silvertips don't developed the hooked tips that characterized the Manchurians.  But in terms of wet performance, the Fans are very similar with medium backbone and very soft tips, in fact I doubt anyone could tell the difference without a side by side A:B test--and then only if the tester has very sensitive skin.  I say that because I use both in my rotation and I haven't been able to tell the difference. 

The bulbs are a different story:  denser with more backbone, but with the same soft white tips.  It's tough for me to draw a comparison because I've never felt a knot like it.  Going out on a limb (and I'm probably going to get nailed for this), the closest thing I can think of might be a D01 with no scrub and very little-to-no scritch.

I hope that helps.

2 629
 10-20-2017, 05:44 AM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Is the XL2 the same or different than the 2XL?

13 150
 10-20-2017, 05:48 AM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 05:44 AM)Manning Wrote: Is the XL2 the same or different than the 2XL?

Same brush.  45mm tall handle.  28mm knot. Sorry, I can be a bit dyslexic...  Blush

2 629