09-07-2017, 06:17 AM
User Info
It has been a long time since I have tried a new soap.  I have been happily using up my storage of Mike's Natural, CRSW and Mystic Waters without feeling much desire to try anything new.  I decided about a month ago to try something new.  I ordered Barrister & Mann's newer line of Reserve soaps and matching aftershaves (Cool, Spice and Classic). I am very impressed with the product.  The scents are true to those aftershaves they pay homage to, and the type of lather they create is just spectacularly thick, rich, shiny and thick.  I know I am late to the game in trying these soaps and aftershaves, just thought I'd add my thoughts and say they are excellent in every respect.

75 2,301
 09-07-2017, 06:33 AM
User Info
They are clearly superior to their glissant formula.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 1,092
 09-07-2017, 07:22 AM
User Info
Agreed, I have Cool and Spice, absolutely top notch Soaps and Aftershaves!

54 1,201
 09-07-2017, 08:17 AM
User Info
I'm agree. The Reserve formula is better than the glissant soap.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

0 146
 09-07-2017, 09:01 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Very funny timing, as the Spice soap is in my cart at Maggard's for the past couple days. Just wondering what else is going in the cart.

THANK GOD THERE'S A TALLOW ARTISAN SOAP WITHOUT LANOLIN. KEEP IT UP!!
We now have 2 that I'm aware of: WSP/ASW
And now this new B&M line

62 2,905
 09-07-2017, 09:19 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Done.
Have to add Chiseled Face to this list above. I forgot about that. This will be my first of theirs.

[Image: bc40f414db00409a55e3d36630477afd.png]

62 2,905
 09-07-2017, 10:31 AM
User Info
(09-07-2017, 09:01 AM)Nero Wrote: Very funny timing, as the Spice soap is in my cart at Maggard's for the past couple days. Just wondering what else is going in the cart.

I have always been one of the ones that thought lanolin made a big difference in post shave feel, but your'e right, I seem to get just as good of a post shave feel with soaps that don't contain lanolin.  I think you'll like this B&M Reserve formula.  My favorite scent of the three is Cool, but each is very nice.

75 2,301
 09-07-2017, 11:46 AM
User Info
(09-07-2017, 10:31 AM)merkur man Wrote: I have always been one of the ones that thought lanolin made a big difference in post shave feel, but your'e right, I seem to get just as good of a post shave feel with soaps that don't contain lanolin.  I think you'll like this B&M Reserve formula.  My favorite scent of the three is Cool, but each is very nice.
I've only used the Cool, Nathan, but since Foïd Blue is my #1 AS, it's a great scent, I have to agree. Performance is excellent.

31 5,292
 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
User Info
Is it better than the original white-tub formula?

2 1,506
 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM
User Info
I had samples of each.

The Classic was my favorite of the three scent wise. 

The Spice is rounder and warmer than any other OS type soap. I wonder if this is how the vintage stuff smelled when fresh. It's good, but not something I want to have a full tub of.

The Cool, I'll revisit. I think I'm just averse to powdery fragrances. I appreciate what it is. 

I am interested in the Classic.

10 1,435
 09-07-2017, 02:51 PM
User Info
I enjoyed the performance , the wife did not care for the scent so unfortunately for me that meant it was just a nice experience I was able to try.

61 1,581
 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
(09-07-2017, 12:29 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Is it better than the original white-tub formula?

I think it is B&M's best formula to date. It's softer than the original but the lather is far superior in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,301
 09-07-2017, 03:01 PM
User Info
(09-07-2017, 02:51 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I enjoyed the performance , the wife did not care for the scent so unfortunately for me that meant it was just a nice experience I was able to try.

Which one did you try? The scents really do linger quite awhile.

75 2,301
 09-07-2017, 03:05 PM
User Info
I had the cool as I'm quite sure that would have been the one I enjoyed most , for what it's worth the wife did not care for the Floid scent but Will did do a nice job on the profile of this set. Performance of the soap was outstanding.

61 1,581
 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
Good luck with the Veg...  Babeando

0 24
 09-07-2017, 05:06 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-07-2017, 10:31 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 09:01 AM)Nero Wrote: Very funny timing, as the Spice soap is in my cart at Maggard's for the past couple days. Just wondering what else is going in the cart.

I have always been one of the ones that thought lanolin made a big difference in post shave feel, but your'e right, I seem to get just as good of a post shave feel with soaps that don't contain lanolin.  I think you'll like this B&M Reserve formula.  My favorite scent of the three is Cool, but each is very nice.

Thanks Nathan, I am looking forward to it! I am not familiar with Floid, but I did read good things about all the scents.

62 2,905
 09-07-2017, 06:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've used many B&M soaps. The Reserve formula is without a doubt a top tier soap. I like all three scents and have been fortunate to have tried an unscented version as well. As others have stated, performance is outstanding in all respects. Compared to the White Label line, I agree that it's consistency is different, nonetheless I'm glad to have sufficient quantities of backups of the WL unscented. Reserve is calling me. Gotta go shave...

7 2,283
 09-07-2017, 07:19 PM
User Info
The reserve has been on my radar for a while. I do enjoy lanolin, which gives me pause when pursuing new soaps without it included. That said, have one tub of Latha Oceana, and one tub of classic label cologne russe - both of which perform very very well (the former has no lanolin). My problem with B&M has always been that the premium tier scents haven't done it for me when I've ordered samples. Perhaps I can give it another go.

29 1,152
 09-08-2017, 02:02 AM
User Info
(09-07-2017, 07:19 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The reserve has been on my radar for a while. I do enjoy lanolin, which gives me pause when pursuing new soaps without it included. That said, have one tub of Latha Oceana, and one tub of classic label cologne russe - both of which perform very very well (the former has no lanolin). My problem with B&M has always been that the premium tier scents haven't done it for me when I've ordered samples. Perhaps I can give it another go.

I can understand your hesitancy in both the absence of lanolin and the inconsistency in scents. As far as scent goes, if you like the items these scents are based on, I can't imagine you not liking the soap. As for the absence of Lanolin, I think this soap is every bit as hydrating as Mike's and Mystic Waters, meaning it has excellent moisturizers in it. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

75 2,301
 09-08-2017, 05:58 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Ugh, ok here's my rant again...

Sorry I just never understood hype over lanolin.
No one even talked about lanolin 3-4 years ago. How did we survive?
Not only doesn't it give me a better post shave, I think the shave itself is terrible.
Lanolin is a very sticky and thick substance, why would you want that in a shave soap lather which is supposed to be slick and give a close shave?

None of these have lanolin and are regularly considered amongst the best products:
AoS tallow
AoS cream
AdP cream
ABC cream and soap
Boellis
Floris cream
XPEC
Penhaligon's BB cream
Czech & Speake
B.Baum
WSP/ASW
Saponificio Varesino