09-26-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
Would any one care to comment on the scent of fern and lavender?

-Mark

8 144
 09-26-2017, 04:36 PM
User Info
(09-26-2017, 03:06 PM)Nero Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 02:59 PM)brothers Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 06:33 AM)jfim88 Wrote: They are clearly superior to their glissant formula.

what does the word "gilssant" represent when used by and in connection with B & M shaving soap. B & M doesn't have a FAQ link, and when I search the site the word is used only once by B&M to refer to one of its soaps, but no indication of what information does this word impart to someone such as me?

It's the current formula with tallow and lanolin that replaced the older formula in the white tub.

OK, thanks.

24 1,231
 09-26-2017, 05:17 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-26-2017, 04:13 PM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: Would any one care to comment on the scent of fern and lavender?

-Mark

So far for me, Fern is a lemongrass heavy opening that turns to a powdery-mossy light "musk" for lack of better term, with light hints of citrus (maybe neroli and/or citrus peel), lavender, and wood accord.
Regardless of all this, it absolutely feels simple.
It's pretty bright throughout.
Not a wet scent. Not a dark green scent. Not an evergreen/conifer scent.
The scent "color" is bright lime-green (without smelling like a lime).

Reader's Digest:
The two main notes are lemongrass, followed by powder (barbershop powder, not baby/feminine scented powder).

The closest scent I've smelled to this Fern is the Sandalwood soap by Savon du Midi, which I would call a powdery wood accord.
This Fern is a fresher version of that, due to the springiness/brightness of the lemongrass.

62 3,094
 09-30-2017, 03:12 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Fern finally arrived and I tried it this morning for the first time. The performance was excellent, although I forgot that I need to take less product than I think and spent a fair amount of time hydrating it. The scent is a close match to Houbigant Fougère Royale, which I enjoy. Fern and Cool are my favorites (I haven't tried Lavender as I just have too many soaps with that scent), although I also like Classic and Spice. This probably is a relfection of my age, as I still enjoy Old Spice, after shaving with it for well over 50 years, as well as Floïd Blue and Clubman. I definitely prefer these scents over some of the unusual scents Will comes up with.

38 5,248
 09-30-2017, 04:59 PM
User Info
(09-30-2017, 03:12 PM)evnpar Wrote: Fern finally arrived and I tried it this morning for the first time. The performance was excellent, although I forgot that I need to take less product than I think and spent a fair amount of time hydrating it. The scent is a close match to Houbigant Fougère Royale, which I enjoy. Fern and Cool are my favorites (I haven't tried Lavender as I just have too many soaps with that scent), although I also like Classic and Spice. This probably is a relfection of my age, as I still enjoy Old Spice, after shaving with it for well over 50 years, as well as Floïd Blue and Clubman. I definitely prefer these scents over some of the unusual scents Will comes up with.

This is a great observation.  You can pick up way too much if you aren't careful!

75 2,346
 10-07-2017, 07:30 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
How are people liking the Lavender?

(Also, I got an email saying my Fougere Gothique has shipped, but that was not supposed to happen until October 23, so I'm not sure if it actually shipped or if Will was just getting tracking numbers ready... I sent an email to ask so I will update here, since it is the Reserve formula.)

62 3,094
 10-07-2017, 09:05 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Fougere Gothique did ship. I didn't realize that pre-orders are ready and ship before the official release.

62 3,094
 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, a quick question on the Reserve Line.

I am about to place a small order with Maggard's and was wondering which B&M soap to pick..Reserve / older formula and which scent?

My first preference is Cool, which I believe is a replica of Floid Blue. Should I go for the aftershave as well. I m not thinking of spending too much on AS as I have 1.5 bottles of Floid Blue already. Or should I still pick one?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 875
 10-07-2017, 09:12 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Reserve is the only B&M formula I haven't tried, even though I read some nice comments on its performance. At this moment, I have only one B&M soap in my collection, the now discontinued Latha Original.

49 2,034
 10-07-2017, 09:14 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I have several of their soaps.  I put Reserve in first followed by Glissant.

49 644
 10-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Spice in the Reserve is my number one soap from B&M. The splash is also absolutely worth getting.

... That said, I could see myself adding all scents in the Reserve line to my den. They're that good in performance and I like all the scents so far (I've smelled all except Lavender). ...Plus the Fougere Gothique will be here by Monday, for 6 scents in the line.

62 3,094
 10-07-2017, 01:57 PM
User Info
(10-07-2017, 12:03 PM)Nero Wrote: Spice in the Reserve is my number one soap from B&M. The splash is also absolutely worth getting.

... That said, I could see myself adding all scents in the Reserve line to my den. They're that good in performance and I like all the scents so far (I've smelled all except Lavender). ...Plus the Fougere Gothique will be here by Monday, for 6 scents in the line.

The Lavender is really something else. Its definitely not the typical sweet floral lavender you usually find. Here is reportedly the scent reproduction for this soap.
  • Lavender - Caldey Island Lavender (1959), referred to by Luca Turin as the greatest lavender soliflore of all time.

0 27
 10-08-2017, 04:19 AM
User Info
(10-07-2017, 09:12 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Gentlemen, a quick question on the Reserve Line.

I am about to place a small order with Maggard's and was wondering which B&M soap to pick..Reserve / older formula and which scent?

My first preference is Cool, which I believe is a replica of Floid Blue. Should I go for the aftershave as well. I m not thinking of spending too much on AS as I have 1.5 bottles of Floid Blue already. Or should I still pick one?

Thanks in advance.

The aftershave is pretty amazing stuff. If you’ve already got Floid Blue I might advise a pass on the aftershave. However, if you enjoy splash aftershaves, it doesn’t get any better than the Reserve splash formula, even up against the original Floid Blue, which for me is excellent, but Reserve Cool is even better.

75 2,346
 10-08-2017, 04:23 AM
User Info
(10-08-2017, 04:19 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 09:12 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Gentlemen, a quick question on the Reserve Line.

Thanks in advance.

The aftershave is pretty amazing stuff. If you’ve already got Floid Blue I might advise a pass on the aftershave. However, if you enjoy splash aftershaves, it doesn’t get any better than the Reserve splash formula, even up against the original Floid Blue, which for me is excellent, but Reserve Cool is even better.

Thanks for the heads-up Nathan.

1 875