09-07-2017, 05:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
This has been discussed before, but maybe it's time to revisit.

So, what about brick and mortar shave shops?

Not that I have any data at all, so I really have no way of knowing, but you gotta figure that traditional wet shaving is clearly a niche market. Based upon the marketing of the major manufacturers and so-called buying clubs, that much is obvious. Yes, luckily and thankfully there's a world-wide host of cyber options, but really, how many brick and mortar retailers are there? How many Bullgooses, WSPs, Maggard's, Razor Emporiums (or should that be Emporia?) and TSSs are there? Yes, there are some stores like Pasteur's and others of its type, but they are not strictly devoted to wet shaving. Sure, it may account for perhaps a substantial part of their bottom line, but it's not their only retail category. Even including retailers like Pasteur's who have two locations, how many places are there to actually touch, see, smell, etc. the variety of products?

I haven't done the research, but I'm thinking that despite the general love affair today's advertisers, tv and film casting and producer types seem to have with unshaven men, be they scruffy or fully bearded, certainly there must still be enough shavers of all methods combined, traditional wet, carts/disposables (and even electric!), that could support more shave/grooming-centric places of business. (Wow, that was a long sentence.)

Somebody here once posted about wanting to do a coast-to-coast road trip that would include all the well known wet shave destinations. Where could one's travels take him?

5 2,051
 09-07-2017, 06:04 PM
User Info
The only one in Florida I'm aware of is The Superior Shave.  No brick and mortar shaving store can survive on walk in business.  They all depend on online sales.

50 5,912
 09-07-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
The business case for a brick & mortar shave-only store isn't pretty. Art of shaving is making a go of it, but clearly pays a premium for prime locations. However, they have the financial backing of Procter & Gambel who purchased them in 2009 - and even then is 'click & mortar' focused. I believe consumer goods will continue to grow best via direct sales and intermediaries like Amazon.

26 1,029
 09-07-2017, 07:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Here it is! Guitars and Shaving products and accessories. Can't miss!

5 2,051
 09-08-2017, 04:24 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(09-07-2017, 07:30 PM)chazt Wrote: Here it is! Guitars and Shaving products and accessories. Can't miss!

Or beer and shaving products.   Probably the most logical would be barber shops that offer shaving products.

3 557
 09-08-2017, 04:27 AM
User Info
(09-08-2017, 04:24 AM)DayMan Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 07:30 PM)chazt Wrote: Here it is! Guitars and Shaving products and accessories. Can't miss!

Or beer and shaving products.   Probably the most logical would be barber shops that offer shaving products.

There is a barbershop in downtown Miami called Churchill's which carries a decent selection of traditional shaving products.

50 5,912
 09-08-2017, 04:44 AM
User Info
There is one shop in Pittsburgh that sells wet shaving stuff.  No artisan makers though.  Hardly any blades.  No pre shave.  Only big box stuff.

0 144
 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-08-2017, 04:27 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 04:24 AM)DayMan Wrote:

There is a barbershop in downtown Miami called Churchill's which carries a decent selection of traditional shaving products.

(09-08-2017, 04:44 AM)asiliski Wrote: There is one shop in Pittsburgh that sells wet shaving stuff.  No artisan makers though.  Hardly any blades.  No pre shave.  Only big box stuff.

Yes, there's also a barber shop in Chicago that sells a lot of wet shave products.

And of course, shave goods and beer. Great combo - just not together. I don't know about you, but from experience I've learned that I can't and won't shave after I've had a drink. All it takes is that first weeper...

5 2,051
 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM
User Info
Old Town Shaving Company in Pasadena, is the only brick and mortar shaving store that I have been in.

2 325
 09-08-2017, 01:47 PM
User Info
(09-07-2017, 06:04 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The only one in Florida I'm aware of is The Superior Shave.  No brick and mortar shaving store can survive on walk in business.  They all depend on online sales.

Pastures in NYC has virtually no online presence but seems to do well. They are, however, a fully running pharmacy so perhaps that helps.

18 650
 09-08-2017, 01:49 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-08-2017, 01:47 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Pastures in NYC has virtually no online presence but seems to do well. They are, however, a fully running pharmacy so perhaps that helps.

Exactly

5 2,051
 09-08-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
Shave only might be tough, but men's grooming is a big business. Imperial Shaving (AKA Straight Razor Designs) is not too far from me - they're in Medina, OH.

0 1,061
 09-15-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
(09-08-2017, 01:12 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: Old Town Shaving Company in Pasadena, is the only brick and mortar shaving store that I have been in.

Try the Groomatorium in Ontario. I've been to the Old Town Shaving and their prices are jacked up to pay for the looks of the place.

5 111
 09-16-2017, 01:54 PM
User Info
I've been to Old Town in Pasadena. Prices may be inflated, but its a great place to sniff out scents before you purchase them. I've still kept my first purchase from Old Town (Dr. Harris Windsor Cream) from couple years back.

31 734
 09-19-2017, 03:31 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(09-07-2017, 06:04 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The only one in Florida I'm aware of is The Superior Shave.  No brick and mortar shaving store can survive on walk in business.  They all depend on online sales.

There is, or at least was I don't know for sure if it's still there, an AoS store at Millenial Mall south Orlando. A little to far and troublesome for me nowadays.

7 2,299
 09-19-2017, 05:37 AM
User Info
(09-19-2017, 03:31 AM)Mouser Wrote:

There is, or at least was I don't know for sure if it's still there, an AoS store at Millenial Mall south Orlando. A little to far and troublesome for me nowadays.

There's also an AoS store in Disney Springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 740
 09-19-2017, 06:16 AM
User Info
There at two AoS stores in Miami.  It is technically a brick and mortar store.  However, it carries primarily proprietary AoS products.  I don't view it as a shave shop in the same sense as The Superior Shave and other stores which carry a full range of shaving products.

50 5,912
 09-19-2017, 06:40 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
My local barbershop will give me a free good beer and sell me shampoo, both does not carry shaving products.

My local men's shop has added full service (including shave) barbershop.  They just added Proraso shaving products and closing out some Edwin Jagger items.  The store does sell Harry's razors and shaving supplies.  Five years ago I did buy my first good brush (EJ Best Badger), Jack Black shave cream, etc.

4 365
 09-19-2017, 08:47 AM
User Info
Even the Art of Shaving is really a hybrid store. AFAIK they all have a barber (or should have a barber) who helps draw in those customers walking the mall.

Even though wet shaving has grown as a segment of the market, the segment is still ultra niche and dominated by e-commerce and the old guard in brick & mortar.

9 3,035
 09-19-2017, 08:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Lee, your use of the phrase "old guard" brought a wave of nostalgia for the department stores of generations ago. As I recall pretty much all of the "better" department stores carried shave brushes. Gimbel's, A&S, Wanamaker, Macy's. Many others as well, I'm sure. They were usually grouped with accessories and other grooming items.

I watched my grandfather shave many Saturday and Sunday mornings. He was the manager of men's shoes in Macy's Herald Square in the 1950s and 60s. At least once, I vaguely remember hearing the pride in his voice as he talked about his new shave brush. It was red and white. I don't have a specific memory of any other brush, but I know he had at least two, maybe three. And at least one Super Speed and a three piece of some sort. If I had to guess it was likely a Tech, but I don't know for sure... this is excellent! I've been thinking good thoughts about Poppy as an early influence. He rarely if ever missed a day of shaving. Watching him shave was always fascinating. Start to finish. Good times Smile

5 2,051