09-08-2017, 12:00 PM
User Info
Occasionally I'll come across a thread in the BST, or a comment in another - where someone is longing for the one that got away. E.G., right now there is an active BST listing looking for a very specific Simpsons Chubby 2 super, and Ilam has been looking for a Jade Manchurian Simpsons for a long time. I find the stories behind these posts very interesting and love to read them. 

Is there something you had, then sold and wished you hadn't? Something you had the opportunity to buy - but didn't jump on it fast enough? Do you check your email each day in hopes that it's finally your turn on the wait-list? Did you find and buy your unicorn, only to have it lost in shipping? 

What's your story of the one that got away? 

I'll kick us off with a mild tale of love and loss. One of my first 'premium' brush purchases was a Thäter 28mm 3-band silvertip with a clear-plexi octogon handle. It was a gloriously soft knot, with easy splay and great flow-through. The handle was epic - clearly one of my favorites (see what I did there?) However, I knew early on that I wanted more backbone and that Thäter offered 2-bands. So, I sold that brush and took my time trying out 2-bands from a variety of makers, knowing that Thäter was an established brand and I'd have plenty of opportunities to purchase new/used. What I didn't realize at the time was that the clear plexi handles were discontinued. I thought my only hope was to track down a 28mm clear plexi handle and get it re-knotted, but even those were rare finds. 

Fast forward to present day, where I asked Bernd at Shavemac to re-create my favorite brush with one of his 2-band unique knots. Thankfully, he had enough plexi material to make a 28mm handle for me - and stuff it with a great knot. I was a little worried at first - as the knot is extremely bulb shaped with little bloom (and I've been using more fan and hybrid knots lately). However, there was no need for concern - and the brush is wonderful in use. My first love may have gotten away... but I've married her twin-sister! Wink

[Image: S99Pv44.jpg]

29 1,166
 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Great post, Mike. I'm glad things worked out for you and you're a happy shaver as a result.

For me, nothing shave related, but there have been a few guitars that fit the One That Got Away category. Wrong forum, though...

7 2,299
 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I had a first run BBS-1 >>>> single digit serial number.  Sold it for the "next best thing"

talk about regrets....

169 1,420
 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM
User Info
I have sold more unicorn , rare , never to be had again items than I could ever remember but a few that come to mind are-

A baby bull mastiff handle from BRW
A super soft CH3 that is not comparable to anything I have seen from Simpson since
Many older Morris & Forndran / Rooney brushes
All my straight razors for the most part.

61 1,585
 09-08-2017, 01:53 PM
User Info
Great thread.  Looking forward to the stories...

18 1,679
 09-08-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
(09-08-2017, 01:15 PM)Steelman Wrote: I had a first run BBS-1 >>>> single digit serial number.  Sold it for the "next best thing"

talk about regrets....
Ron i had a first run  number 46 or so.  yes that is the one that i let go.

74 1,309
 09-08-2017, 03:57 PM
User Info
(09-08-2017, 01:25 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I have sold more unicorn , rare , never to be had again items than I could ever remember but a few that come to mind are-

A baby bull mastiff handle from BRW
A super soft CH3 that is not comparable to anything I have seen from Simpson since
Many  older Morris & Forndran / Rooney brushes
All my straight razors for the most part.

thank you Corey.  I let a ch3 super badger with the incredible hair go.  biggest brush regret

74 1,309
 09-09-2017, 05:52 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
Sold some brushes, but I re-bought them.
Never regretted selling the soaps I sold.
Maybe I regret selling my razors. I had too many, but I'm content with my Gillette New Long Comb. I have a Tech head around too. My only 1 1/2 razor.

18 414
 09-09-2017, 05:54 AM
User Info
(09-09-2017, 05:52 AM)carvelo Wrote: Sold some brushes, but I re-bought them.
Maybe I regret selling my razors. I had too many, but I'm content with my Gillette New Long Comb. I have a Tech head around too. My only 1 1/2 razor.

I know Hurricane Irma hit Puerto Rico yesterday and a lot of people don't have power.  I'm glad you're okay.

50 6,292
 09-09-2017, 06:26 AM
User Info
I sell duplicates mostly.

8 1,187
 09-09-2017, 10:32 AM
User Info
(09-09-2017, 05:54 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 05:52 AM)carvelo Wrote: Sold some brushes, but I re-bought them.

I know Hurricane Irma hit Puerto Rico yesterday and a lot of people don't have power.  I'm glad you're okay.

+1

18 1,679
 09-13-2017, 02:57 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Eight years ago I sold my Simpson PJ2 best and regret it still.

7 923
 09-13-2017, 06:24 PM
User Info
There's a pretty insane thread going right now where the OP is offering just about anything for a wiborg. (Never understood the hype around those myself)

29 1,166
 09-13-2017, 10:18 PM
User Info
I picked up a few Wiborg brushes for others when I saw them, I just couldn't afford one at the time I saw them available. I wouldn't exactly say "they got away", but they went through my hands, and I wish I still had one haha

There was a disco Chubby 3 on here a year ago or so ago I was very interested in. The colors on it were insane, and the knot is just about as perfect a Chubby 3 Manchurian knot I've ever seen. Once again I didn't have the dough at the time.

Also a few vinyl records when I was a kid, but that's a whole other story...

7 330
 09-13-2017, 10:23 PM
User Info
(09-13-2017, 06:24 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: There's a pretty insane thread going right now where the OP is offering just about anything for a wiborg. (Never understood the hype around those myself)

I have heard promising things about the batch or batches of hair Florian has got for the knots. Actually, I am not sure if he buys the knots or ties them himself. Nonetheless, a unique knot is always worth considering.

81 1,353
 09-13-2017, 11:31 PM
User Info
(09-13-2017, 10:23 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 06:24 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: There's a pretty insane thread going right now where the OP is offering just about anything for a wiborg. (Never understood the hype around those myself)

I have heard promising things about the batch or batches of hair Florian has got for the knots. Actually, I am not sure if he buys the knots or ties them himself. Nonetheless, a unique knot is always worth considering.

Was he selling unmounted knots for a time? (alpine maybe?)

As an aside, this thread reminded me of a time where I had the opportunity, and passed, on an offer to buy a mechanically restored '69 GTO. The owner was a good friend of the family, we had known him for many, many years - and he had done the engine/tranny rebuild himself (being a career mechanic). I would have needed to restore the interior and give her a new paint job. In words, it doesn't sound too bad... but when I see a picture of what might have been Sad

*not the actual car, just the same model & year
[Image: 1969-Pontiac-GTO-4-copy.jpg]

29 1,166
 09-14-2017, 01:43 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Missing out on that GTO would definitely hurt more than missing out on anything shave related.  If it helps though, think of all the money you got to keep instead of spending it on the rest of the restore.

3 571
 09-14-2017, 09:27 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info

Hey, I admit I have an addiction, there is a huge thread on my problem in the Collections forum.  I don't need y'all calling me out in the General Discussions forum now!   Tongue 

In all seriousness, the Wiborg was on my radar very early in the production process and I was waiting on reviews and a handle that I enjoyed to become available.  He released that huge batch of black handled brushes and I decided to wait for a different color option.  That was the last release he made on his website and he never once replied to my several, polite, e-mails that I sent. 

As for the one that got away, I accept the path that I have followed to get here and have no problem foraging my own way to get what I want.  There are some items that I have sold and then later wished I hadn't, but there's almost always a way to get those items replaced as long as I'm willing to pay for my stupidity.

At one point I had four Chubby 2 2-bands and am down to 2.  Knowing how much these can bring in now I would have been better off holding onto them.  But, there's no saying that Mark won't find another superb bundle of 2-band hair and make another batch tomorrow which could drastically effect that value.  Same goes for all of these "rare" items that we are falling over each other to purchase.  Anything that is manufactured can be done so again and again so buy low and sell high.  How high?  Well don't wait too long before it becomes a new low.

145 2,809
 09-26-2017, 01:19 AM
User Info
My biggest regret was selling my PK47 28MM Disco Haze. I miss it, terribly, but I know it's in a great home, so I sleep soundly at night knowing that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3 145
 09-26-2017, 06:30 AM
User Info
Goats were nice.

And plexiglass handles are nice:

[Image: large.jpg]

But the one that got away was an Alfa Romeo 2600 coupe but I was seduced by a Gulietta.

0 153