03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
User Info
This is my review of "O Melhor", a luxurious Portuguese shaving cream with lanolin made by Confiança Soaps. Feel free to post your comments, gentlemen.

[Image: cnfomsclrg.jpg]

Confiança is a very old factory, founded in 1894, in Braga, northern Portugal. For more than a century it has achieved an enviable reputation of production of high quality products. In Portugal, Confiança was competing with Ach. Brito in the Portuguese market for several decades. Some of their products are in the personal preferences of some well-recognised celebrities, like Oprah Winfrey, Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell. The cherry soaps from Confiança were already part of the famous Christmas baskets of Oprah Winfrey.

Recently, Confiança (=confidence or trust, in Portuguese language) has been recently acquired by Ach.Brito/Claus Porto, makers of "Musgo Real" and "Lavanda".

This was the second shaving cream produced by Confiança that I have acquired, after my return to wetshaving. I was really impressed with my experience with "Top Secret" shaving cream - the first cream that I used when I returned to wetshaving - so I went to a local shop and bought a tube of "O Melhor" shaving cream.

First, let's take a look at what the manufacturer has to say about this shaving cream:

Quote:100% Masculin
“O Melhor” is a product range specially formulated for men's skin care.
Translated as “The Best”, it includes shaving cream, exfoliating soap and balsam after-shave.
The stylish retro packaging is the result of the restyling of an original logo dating back to the 1920's.
The strength of this line is reinforced by a back to basis old-school fragrance with notes of musk and marine.

Source

I must say that I have quite sensitive skin, that doesn't react very well with some aftershaves and shaving creams. But my impressions about "O Melhor" couldn't be better.

Price tag is somewhat high. At about €9,00 a piece, this is not properly cheap stuff. In fact, the cost is about the same of a tube of Musgo Real. But it is worth every penny. I'm not sure what is the price of this cream in the USA, or where to get it.

The scent is just wonderful - I like it very much. That is the first thing you notice when you open the tube for the first time. It has some subtle notes of marine, complemented by some woody notes, but in a light, clean and fresh way. A nice and extremely pleasant "cologne" type of scent. However, I wouldn't not call it "old school" or "retro" - it is more like a "modern" scent. Very nice. But, YMMV, as always.

The package contains 100mL, and it is a metallic coloured tube (not painted) partially wrapped in a retro-style paper label. The same vintage-style label is present in the outer paper box, that is black on the outside and yellow on the inside. All the package is very exquisite and inspires confidence.

It is extremely effective. Easily produces lots of creamy, slick and protective lather. Does not require a lot of water. The texture of the cream itself is already very creamy, and resembles the texture of Musgo Real.

It is excellent for your skin, leaving it very moisturised. Even with sensitive skin, this cream proves his value, delivering very good protection and slickness during the shave. It contains lanolin, which smooths and moisturises your skin - it can also be a problem to some people, if you are sensitive to it, please beware.

For me, this is simply one of the best shaving creams actually available.
The words "O Melhor" mean "The Best" in Portuguese. And that is a name that simply suits this cream heavenly.

2 5,532
 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yes,Im totally agree with this review : O melhor is simply a superb shaving cream with a nice marine masculine scent,and excellent skin care.
Im gonna put a tube of it on my next shave nook PIF since I want members to try it out and see how good this cream is.

86 7,123
 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thank you for another superb review, Emanuel. Would you say the scent is closer to Top Secret Smile or Veleiro Sad?

2 11,211
 03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I heard so many good comments about this cream.

3 2,562
 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-12-2012, 05:19 PM)freddy Wrote: Thank you for another superb review, Emanuel. Would you say the scent is closer to Top Secret Smile or Veleiro Sad?

I can answer that : Veleiro,and they are pretty similar to each other,but I would say that O Melhor is slightly fresher.

86 7,123
 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-12-2012, 07:57 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-12-2012, 05:19 PM)freddy Wrote: Thank you for another superb review, Emanuel. Would you say the scent is closer to Top Secret Smile or Veleiro Sad?

I can answer that : Veleiro,and they are pretty similar to each other,but I would say that O Melhor is slightly fresher.

Thanks, Teiste. Well, that leaves this one out for me. I really like the scent of Top Secret and don't care for the scent of Veleiro. Since the performance of both of these (and I'm guessing O Melhor, also) is excellent it comes down to scent and Top Secret wins.

2 11,211
 03-13-2012, 02:26 AM
User Info
(03-12-2012, 08:06 PM)freddy Wrote:
(03-12-2012, 07:57 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Thanks, Teiste. Well, that leaves this one out for me. I really like the scent of Top Secret and don't care for the scent of Veleiro. Since the performance of both of these (and I'm guessing O Melhor, also) is excellent it comes down to scent and Top Secret wins.

I agree with Teiste: Veleiro and O Melhor are very, very similar.
Top Secret is a very unique scent (mix of bulgarian rose, woods and musk) and if you like it and don't like Veleiro, stick with Top Secret. Smile

2 5,532
 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Emanuel, thanks for the excellent review. Is there a vendor in the USA that sells this product? I would like to give it a try.

173 23,546
 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
At a glance, it seems that Royall Shave sells it. Don't know if there are more US vendors or not.
I think that Phil, back in simplyshaving, said something about carrying this line in the future - don't know if that will happen or not.

2 5,532
 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-13-2012, 08:50 AM)oversaturn Wrote: At a glance, it seems that Royal Shave sells it. Don't know if there are more US vendors or not.
I think that Phil, back in simplyshaving, said something about carrying this line in the future - don't know if that will happen or not.

Looks like right now that Royal Shave is the only USA vendor, and they are out of stock. I will just have to wait.

173 23,546
 03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
(03-13-2012, 09:17 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(03-13-2012, 08:50 AM)oversaturn Wrote: At a glance, it seems that Royal Shave sells it. Don't know if there are more US vendors or not.

Looks like right now that Royal Shave is the only USA vendor, and they are out of stock. I will just have to wait.

It's available at Shaving.ie

184 12,003
 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
User Info
(03-13-2012, 09:58 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(03-13-2012, 09:17 AM)Johnny Wrote:

It's available at Shaving.ie

Yes, it is available at a few trusted vendors outside USA, like shaving.ie (Ireland) and theportugalonlineshop.com (Portugal).

2 5,532
 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
User Info
I want to get it just because of the art deco design alone.

72 1,407
 04-05-2012, 06:46 AM
User Info
Very good stuff indeed!

0 641
 04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
Love the scent on this stuff and performance is top notch! Thanks for the great review!

11 185
 04-05-2012, 07:03 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Another one added to the list! Excellent, Emanuel!

35 2,703
 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-13-2012, 08:50 AM)oversaturn Wrote: At a glance, it seems that Royall Shave sells it. Don't know if there are more US vendors or not.

I am still planning to carry this. The problem is that although Ach Brito is the exporter for all of these creams, there is a separate minimum order required for O Melhor. In order words, I cannot dip my toes with it and include it with another order.

45 16,352
 04-05-2012, 07:28 AM
User Info
(04-05-2012, 07:17 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I am still planning to carry this. The problem is that although Ach Brito is the exporter for all of these creams, there is a separate minimum order required for O Melhor. In order words, I cannot dip my toes with it and include it with another order.

That is true also for domestic orders here in Portugal. Every local vendor I speak with has the same complaint that you have.
I simply don't understand this policy from Ach. Brito... Tongue

2 5,532
 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-05-2012, 07:28 AM)oversaturn Wrote:
(04-05-2012, 07:17 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I am still planning to carry this. The problem is that although Ach Brito is the exporter for all of these creams, there is a separate minimum order required for O Melhor. In order words, I cannot dip my toes with it and include it with another order.

That is true also for domestic orders here in Portugal. Every local vendor I speak with has the same complaint that you have.
I simply don't understand this policy from Ach. Brito... Tongue

Me too. I quit trying to stock O Melhor and the Ach Brito products in general.
It's just not worth it.

4 313
 04-05-2012, 07:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't they realize how much more product they could sell if they would let vendors mix and match? Some marketing departments just kill me with their thinking.

Here is the bottom line. Small vendors don't mean as much to them as the large mass merchandise and large retail outlets do.

173 23,546