09-12-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
Over the last year of straight shaving I have used everything from a full hollow to wedge. My preference is for a 1/4 hollow or near wedge grind. I find that anything thinner than that causes pulling due to very coarse facial hair. The heavier grinds help to plough through the coarse hair with no effort at all. It's certainly not that the razor is not sharp enough, all of my razors pass HHT5. What are your grind preferences and why? Would a bellied hollow grind sing like a full hollow and shave like a 1/4?

1 22
 09-12-2017, 04:43 AM
User Info
I prefer quarter hollow blades although I do have a few full hollows I like the feel of a quarter hollow myself, I have a bellied hollow never found it to shave like a quarter hollow all the same it's a fine shaver.

11 1,944
 09-13-2017, 02:47 AM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 04:43 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I prefer quarter hollow blades although I do have a few full hollows I like the feel of a quarter hollow myself, I have a bellied hollow never found it to shave like a quarter hollow all the same it's a fine shaver.

That was my finding as well with a bellied hollow grind. From what I understand, the belly is supposed to allow for the edge to remain stiff while maintaining a full hollow grind.

1 22
 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I like half hollows, but ones that are thinly ground at the edge. Most of the Japanese Western-style razors are half hollow (or quarter hollow), but ones that are ground thinner and lighter are not so common. The quarter hollow symmetric Western kamisori also shave extremely well. When you find a half or quarter hollow Western style Japanese razor with bevels so narrow that you can hardly see them at all, it's likely to be a very fine razor.

Cheers, Steve

7 535
 09-14-2017, 11:22 PM
User Info
I prefer half hollow then quarter hollow, but there are days when I just want to use a wedge and use a big beef razor.
Over the years, I've been preferring the smaller width blades and more hollow. It just sings differently...

31 739
 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
User Info
half hollows for e... or quarters when i'm in a hurry...

only when i'm feeling lucky and patient... extra hollow.. like.. once a year LOL
wedges are cool but too much metal to remove when honing and whiskers are not as easy to get rid of...

0 3
 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM
User Info
I have mostly full hollows and like them but am finding out that I am moving towards larger blades and the 5/8" that I used to love don't seem to do it for me anymore, I honestly need a Rigarazor as I have heard a lot of good about these 1/4 hollow shavers.

6 1,375
 09-24-2017, 01:29 PM
User Info
I don't have a preference.  The razor has to feel secure and comfortable in my hand.  With practice all grinds and sizes become comfortable to use.

6 290
 09-25-2017, 02:37 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 12:51 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I like half hollows, but ones that are thinly ground at the edge. Most of the Japanese Western-style razors are half hollow (or quarter hollow), but ones that are ground thinner and lighter are not so common. The quarter hollow symmetric Western kamisori also shave extremely well. When you find a half or quarter hollow Western style Japanese razor with bevels so narrow that you can hardly see them at all, it's likely to be a very fine razor.

Cheers, Steve
I have a 1/2 Feon which was made of Swedish steel by Kikubosh. It has an incredibly narrow edge, I just can't get it to shave like a 1/4 heavier grind.

1 22
 09-25-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
(09-14-2017, 11:22 PM)llalm Wrote: I prefer half hollow then quarter hollow, but there are days when I just want to use a wedge and use a big beef razor.
Over the years, I've been preferring the smaller width blades and more hollow. It just sings differently...

Do you find that the smaller blade width, say 5/8 full hollow shaves differently that an 8/8 full hollow. I understand that a 5/8 will never feel like an 8/8, but with much more thin steel on the 8/8 does it make a difference in feel.

1 22
 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(09-25-2017, 02:37 AM)Rugger007 Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 12:51 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I like half hollows, but ones that are thinly ground at the edge. Most of the Japanese Western-style razors are half hollow (or quarter hollow), but ones that are ground thinner and lighter are not so common. The quarter hollow symmetric Western kamisori also shave extremely well. When you find a half or quarter hollow Western style Japanese razor with bevels so narrow that you can hardly see them at all, it's likely to be a very fine razor.

Cheers, Steve
I have a 1/2 Feon which was made of Swedish steel by Kikubosh. It has an incredibly narrow edge, I just can't get it to shave like a 1/4 heavier grind.

I have a Kikuboshi also, and it began to microchip a bit at the 8k level using a Shapton 8k Glass HC hone. I switched to a Shapton Pro 8k and that seemed to solve the problem then I went on with my usual jnat finish. I spoke to a friend in France who hones and has had a Kikuboshi and he told me that he experienced the same thing. Bottom line is that they seem to be a little fussier to hone than other brands so this may be the problem.

If you like I would be glad to hone it for you for return shipping. I'm confident that I can get it to shave as well as your other razors.

Cheers, Steve

7 535
 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
User Info
(09-25-2017, 08:03 AM)Steve56 Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 02:37 AM)Rugger007 Wrote:

Cheers, Steve

I have a Kikuboshi also, and it began to microchip a bit at the 8k level using a Shapton 8k Glass HC hone. I switched to a Shapton Pro 8k and that seemed to solve the problem then I went on with my usual jnat finish. I spoke to a friend in France who hones and has had a Kikuboshi and he told me that he experienced the same thing. Bottom line is that they seem to be a little fussier to hone than other brands so this may be the problem.

If you like I would be glad to hone it for you for return shipping. I'm confident that I can get it to shave as well as your other razors.

Cheers, Steve

Well I have to say that I finally got the Kikuboshi to give up an incredible shave. It may even have become one of my favourite blades. 4k gs, 8k hc, black Escher, 0.1u CBN on nanocloth x 50, Russian leather. Just WOW! I don’t know if it was the CBN, but the edge feels like an Escher, but much keener and just as smooth.

1 22
 11-09-2017, 07:19 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Full hollow. They just seem to feel so much keener on the face for me.
But I have pretty much every grind you can think of, and they all shave extremely well.
But I prefer 6/8" Full Hollow.

2 1,687