09-12-2017, 02:41 AM
User Info
Over the last year of straight shaving I have used everything from a full hollow to wedge. My preference is for a 1/4 hollow or near wedge grind. I find that anything thinner than that causes pulling due to very coarse facial hair. The heavier grinds help to plough through the coarse hair with no effort at all. It's certainly not that the razor is not sharp enough, all of my razors pass HHT5. What are your grind preferences and why? Would a bellied hollow grind sing like a full hollow and shave like a 1/4?

1 19
 09-12-2017, 04:43 AM
User Info
I prefer quarter hollow blades although I do have a few full hollows I like the feel of a quarter hollow myself, I have a bellied hollow never found it to shave like a quarter hollow all the same it's a fine shaver.

11 1,929
 09-13-2017, 02:47 AM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 04:43 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I prefer quarter hollow blades although I do have a few full hollows I like the feel of a quarter hollow myself, I have a bellied hollow never found it to shave like a quarter hollow all the same it's a fine shaver.

That was my finding as well with a bellied hollow grind. From what I understand, the belly is supposed to allow for the edge to remain stiff while maintaining a full hollow grind.

1 19
 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I like half hollows, but ones that are thinly ground at the edge. Most of the Japanese Western-style razors are half hollow (or quarter hollow), but ones that are ground thinner and lighter are not so common. The quarter hollow symmetric Western kamisori also shave extremely well. When you find a half or quarter hollow Western style Japanese razor with bevels so narrow that you can hardly see them at all, it's likely to be a very fine razor.

Cheers, Steve

7 507
 09-14-2017, 11:22 PM
User Info
I prefer half hollow then quarter hollow, but there are days when I just want to use a wedge and use a big beef razor.
Over the years, I've been preferring the smaller width blades and more hollow. It just sings differently...

31 734
 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
User Info
half hollows for e... or quarters when i'm in a hurry...

only when i'm feeling lucky and patient... extra hollow.. like.. once a year LOL
wedges are cool but too much metal to remove when honing and whiskers are not as easy to get rid of...

0 2
 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM
User Info
I have mostly full hollows and like them but am finding out that I am moving towards larger blades and the 5/8" that I used to love don't seem to do it for me anymore, I honestly need a Rigarazor as I have heard a lot of good about these 1/4 hollow shavers.

6 1,299