09-12-2017, 04:25 AM
User Info
Morning gents. Just got this over the weekend and was curious what the shaves/experience was like for those that have it or used it?

Plan on giving it my first go tonight!

[Image: bc873272bd3c0d07aee26ecc310f0eb5.jpg]
[Image: 673870cba884c92c4ce8563c3cfdf726.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 88
 09-12-2017, 07:59 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Nice acquisition  Thumbsup

My experience with my aristocrat has been nothing but positive. It is a smooth shaver with all the blades I have ever used it with to include feather (which I usually don't like and usually irritates my skin in other razors). I would be more surprised if you did not like it  than if you do like it. And the cherry on top for me is it is not bad to look at either, I think they are great looking razors. 

I hope you enjoy it!

8 451
 09-12-2017, 08:19 AM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 07:59 AM)JRRIII Wrote: Nice acquisition  Thumbsup

My experience with my aristocrat has been nothing but positive. It is a smooth shaver with all the blades I have ever used it with to include feather (which I usually don't like and usually irritates my skin in other razors). I would be more surprised if you did not like it  than if you do like it. And the cherry on top for me is it is not bad to look at either, I think they are great looking razors. 

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks! I've definitely grown an affinity for the vintage razors recently and as you mentioned, it's certainly not bad to look at. I'm not even a huge fan of gold but this razor just looked too good to pass up. A Fatboy is up next on my list.

Thank you for the review and I'll be sure to post a follow-up after this evening's shave!

5 88
 09-12-2017, 02:41 PM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 04:25 AM)_i2oss Wrote: Morning gents. Just got this over the weekend and was curious what the shaves/experience was like for those that have it or used it?

Great looking razor! I've got a few different models and one looks exactly like your. Great shaver and I also have been starting to put more focus on vintage razors. It's almost like they have a soul and we know that if they could talk a lot of them would have stories to tell which many modern razors seem to be lacking.

I'm sure your going to enjoy every shave with that beauty.
Congrats!

0 110
 09-12-2017, 05:16 PM
User Info
(09-12-2017, 02:41 PM)Wanderer66 Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 04:25 AM)_i2oss Wrote: Morning gents. Just got this over the weekend and was curious what the shaves/experience was like for those that have it or used it?

Great looking razor! I've got a few different models and one looks exactly like your. Great shaver and I also have been starting to put more focus on vintage razors. It's almost like they have a soul and we know that if they could talk a lot of them would have stories to tell  which many modern razors seem to be lacking.

I'm sure your going to enjoy every shave with that beauty.
Congrats!
Thank you! I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure why it has taken so long to come around to them but there is definitely an awe factor just thinking about the times and places these vintage razors have gone through. To see ones such as this that are 60, 70+ years old and still in great condition is just seriously impressive. Definitely has given me a lot more perspective and appreciation of them!

5 88
 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
(09-12-2017, 08:19 AM)_i2oss Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 07:59 AM)JRRIII Wrote: Nice acquisition  Thumbsup

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks! I've definitely grown an affinity for the vintage razors recently and as you mentioned, it's certainly not bad to look at. I'm not even a huge fan of gold but this razor just looked too good to pass up. A Fatboy is up next on my list.

Thank you for the review and I'll be sure to post a follow-up after this evening's shave!

Still get a fatboy just to experience it but I actually prefer the aristocrat over the fatboy. I think it's more smooth and gives me a better shave. The fatboy for whatever reason just wasn't for me. Which I hate because it's such a cool razor.

8 451
 09-13-2017, 03:45 AM
User Info
Well, I'm sold. That was an incredible shave. Very smooth and relatively effortless. I hardly used any pressure and it just mowed down 3 days growth. I used a Gillette Silver Blue blade and I got BBS in spots I haven't been nearly that close to before. Amazing to see how a razor this old can still shave with the the best modern day razors! I am definitely glad to have this in the den and look forward to many more shaves with it in the future!

And yes, I definitely still plan on getting a Fatboy. Seems like a must from a vintage razor standpoint. Thanks for the comparison!

5 88
 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM
User Info
Love the Aristocrats and have several, one that was my fathers.

[Image: large.jpg]

I'm lucky enough to also have a President (a rhodium plated Aristocrat) and the English made #66 that has a different handle design.

In this image one of my Aristocrats and the President are the first TTOs after the adjustables near the center.

0 127
 09-13-2017, 06:23 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Very nice looking 'Crat - what's the date code, or is that prior?  Case looks like one of the earlier (NDC) year's models

44 473
 09-13-2017, 07:52 AM
User Info
(09-13-2017, 06:04 AM)jar Wrote: Love the Aristocrats and have several, one that was my fathers.

I'm lucky enough to also have a President (a rhodium plated Aristocrat) and the English made #66 that has a different handle design.

In this image one of my Aristocrats and the President are the first TTOs after the adjustables near the center.

That is a stunning collection! Yes, I also was looking at the President and Diplomat. They could very well be acquisitions at some point. Definitely in awe of your collection!

5 88
 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM
User Info
(09-13-2017, 06:23 AM)garyg Wrote: Very nice looking 'Crat - what's the date code, or is that prior?  Case looks like one of the earlier (NDC) year's models

Thanks! Mine is a 1946-1947 Aristocrat.

5 88
 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
User Info
(09-13-2017, 07:52 AM)_i2oss Wrote: That is a stunning collection! Yes, I also was looking at the President and Diplomat. They could very well be acquisitions at some point. Definitely in awe of your collection!

It's not really a collection but rather an accumulation.  I have been lucky to come from a long line of pack rats and not too long ago found some taped up boxes that I thought had my old pipe accumulation but instead was old razors and brushes and shoelaces and almost empty tins of shoe polish and other "stuff" that got stored away.  For example, the shoe laces were all just one of a pair and not one set of two identical laces.  My guess is a lace broke so they put in one new lace and just put the other aside until it was needed.

Some of the razors.
[Image: medium800.jpg]

0 127
 09-17-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
Love my old Gillettes, especially the Aristocrats. Great shavers, but never used the US version, nearest being the Diplomat.

Seldom reach for my fatboy, overrated in performance in my opinion...... but it is a great looking razor

[Image: rDSjaEr.jpg]

1 3
 09-30-2017, 12:14 PM
User Info
I love my '48-50 Aristocrat and have used a variety of blades in it including Feathers and it always performs well.  As to the Fatboy being overrated, I completely disagree.

0 12
 09-30-2017, 06:26 PM
User Info
(09-30-2017, 12:14 PM)Uncle Sam Wrote: I love my '48-50 Aristocrat and have used a variety of blades in it including Feathers and it always performs well.  As to the Fatboy being overrated, I completely disagree.
Ironically, I just got a Fatboy about 2 weeks ago (1959 E4). Still feel like I need a few more shaves with it to give it a fair assessment but so far the Aristocrat is definitely winning in my book.

5 88