09-13-2017, 05:11 PM
User Info
I've haven't seen much about Grooming Dept soaps here so thought I'd share my first experience with it from earlier today.

Grooming Dept soaps caught my eye on another forum because a report from a tester just raved about it. I just kind of went... so what, another artisan soap. Big deal.

But for fun, I reached out to the owner of Grooming Dept soap, Mohammad and found him to be a great guy. And knowledgeable. Seriously knowledgeable about soaps.

The price is $19 for 4 ounces, same as CRSW. You get free shipping and free Priority shipping if you buy 2 or more. And after looking at the ingredients, I began to get a bit excited.

Mohammad said that he had figured out how to make a vegan soap as slick and protective as a tallow soap with a superior after shave experience. And that he had made a tallow based soap that is super slick and not so heavy. I tried to find out more on YouTube but there wasn't much. And it had just been reformulated... so, I went for it and picked up 4 of them. 3 vegan and 1 tallow.

I decided my first shave would be with, Basique, a woody fragrance. And Vegan.

To me this is a very nice smelling soap. Not overpowering at all. Maybe a 6 on a scale of 10 in terms of strength of smell. Still very nice. I liked it a lot.

With that out of the way, let me just say I have never shaved with a non tallow soap before so wasn't sure what to expect. And let me tell you, I'm stunned. This soap is slick. I mean REALLY, REALLY slick. It is slicker than the best I have used so far which is the CRSW latest version which is a tallow soap. This goes a good few steps beyond. The after the shave feel is superb. And by that I mean, in a class by itself.

In fact I'm not sure "soap" is the right word for this. It feels more like that I went to a salon for a demonstration of the next big European facial product for men or something. I've never felt anything quite like it. It is true that it is not heavy. But it is luxurious to the extreme. I almost didn't want to wash it off. And I did put the remainder on my face and left it for about 5 minutes while I cleaned up (which Mohammad suggests you do). My face is so soft that I'm in disbelief that this could even be possible with a shave "soap". I would believe it if you told me it was a rejuvenation cream, that's for sure. 

Along with my 4 products today came two new brushes I ordered. A new Cashmere and a new Tuxedo. Both knots from APShaveCo. I used the Cashmere. And what a treat. It is so soft. the Cashmere brush combined with the Basique soap, was beyond words.

Here's another interesting point. I loaded the brush for 4 seconds. And could have stopped at 3. I do splay the brush into the soap, still it didn't take much. And it whipped up quickly and easily - and I have hard water.

I haven't been able to quit touching my face. It is so soft and smooth. 

This is really something. It's not a little better, it's in a class of it's own. I fear I may be hooked.

0 45
 09-13-2017, 05:22 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have also heard good things - really tempted.  Interesting scents.  

I tend to like a milder or not long lasting scent.  While subjective, would that be slightly below your rating of 6?

4 367
 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I've heard good things too here and there. I also haven't seen much if any of it for sale on the BSTs. Could be because it's relatively new, but people aren't selling it much. Maybe the next acquisition.

Cheers, Steve

7 507
 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
May I suggest that the good things you've been hearing are because they're true. I find Mohammad's products to be very very good. I doubt that any user would be disappointed in the performance. Scents, being very personal, may or may not resonate. But the lather quality is excellent

Just my view.

58 1,584
 09-13-2017, 08:13 PM
User Info
I'll echo the sentiments of the OP! I have 3 GroomingDept soaps - 1 old formulation vegan, 1 new vegan & 1 duck/beef tallow. All 3 are phenomenal. They're top tier in my opinion & prob top 3 artisan in my den.

0 24
 09-13-2017, 08:47 PM
User Info
This is the first I have heard of them

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 55
 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM
User Info
Just received Aether and it is INSANELY GOOD SOAP. Not sure I can think of another soap that lathers up with such ease and is so slick and protective. Top shelf in my opinion for sure!

99 1,360
 09-14-2017, 05:04 PM
User Info
Thanks for the write up. Definitely have to look at this soap now.

0 44