09-16-2017, 09:37 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Maybe I am late to the solid cologne party but within the last few days they have peaked my interest. I noticed them a while back but as I was just getting into regular (spray/liquid) frags I didn't give them much thought. 

Anyone have any experience with them? Got any thoughts on how they perform? Are they worth checking out?

8 518
 09-16-2017, 10:07 AM
User Info
 09-17-2017, 04:13 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've wondered the same things JRR111.  I'm also curious if they have much projection or longevity.

8 1,449
 09-17-2017, 08:46 PM
User Info
In theory it should have the same longevity or longer than alcohol based fragrance. However, without the alcohol to help the top notes lift off, the projection may be lower. This is all theory though. I'll have more solid answers this coming week once I get some materials in to experiment with.

The longevity would be longer because instead of alcohol helping to lift off the fragrance compounds, the oil & wax base would actually help serve as a barrier layer between the skin and the fragrance. Similar to using moisturizer prior to applying a fragrance.

9 3,038
 09-18-2017, 02:36 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks Lee.  I wonder if solid cologne need to have a higher concentration of fragrance compounds to overcome the beeswax or oil barrier?  Good luck with your experiments.

8 1,449
 09-19-2017, 08:42 AM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 02:36 AM)Sully Wrote: Thanks Lee.  I wonder if solid cologne need to have a higher concentration of fragrance compounds to overcome the beeswax or oil barrier?  Good luck with your experiments.

Well, the answer is... it kinda does... It really doesn't project as well as alcohol based fragrance. But the smell certainly is there. As I surmised, the wax & oil are just carriers and don't do much. As for longevity, I'll need to do more testing. But it definitely does not slap you in the face like a spritz out of an atomizer. It's more like a slow burn or post dry down.

9 3,038
 09-19-2017, 06:17 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
It sounds like a solid cologne would be a good application for an oud.  Most of the ouds I've tried have monster projection even with an oil base and not an alcohol base

8 1,449
 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM
User Info
Okay, so I've been testing this stuff for a while now and can definitively state that the longevity is definitely better than a spray, even at similar concentrations. And the projection is worse. So, it's just different and it's definitely one of those personal preference kinds of things. It's great for air travel though.

Hmm, interesting about oud. I haven't actually gotten to the "put it in a bottle & try it out" stage. But yeah, Oud has some mean staying power and some serious stink!

9 3,038
 09-23-2017, 03:53 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I enjoy some Ouds, but I know that others do not.   Biggrin

Good luck with your continued testing.

8 1,449
 09-23-2017, 09:25 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I generally use spray on colognes, but I do have a few inexpensive solid colognes from ScodioliCreative on Etsy. Some of her scents are very nice. One of my favorites is Cloven, which is amber, sandalwood, vanilla and cedar. 

[Image: Bnzuwar.jpg]

38 5,199
 09-23-2017, 10:12 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I'm a big fan of amber.  I'll check them out, thanks Richard.

8 1,449