09-16-2017, 10:24 PM
User Info
Hello everyone,

Do these modern stainless steel razors provide a better shave than Gillette aristocrats, specifically the 1946/1947 and the 1948-50?

19 288
 09-17-2017, 11:13 AM
User Info
Don't know about aristocrats but I would put a red tip Gillette against any razor(and I own a Timeless 0.95 OC, and a Charcoal goods Level 3 oc, as well as a Wolfman guerilla).

1 663
 09-17-2017, 12:24 PM
User Info
(09-17-2017, 11:13 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: Don't know about aristocrats but I would put a red tip Gillette against any razor(and I own a Timeless 0.95 OC, and a Charcoal goods Level 3 oc, as well as a Wolfman guerilla).

Intersting you say this because for the last few months I have reached for my red tip basically every morning, over my various Gillette and modern stainless razors. Not to mention to my eye it's a gorgeous little razor too.

12 663
 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
Timeless, Wolfman and other high end modern ss razors represent amazing design and machining.  There are many subjective reasons why someone may prefer either the modern ss or the vintage Gillette.  However, I don't think either type is an inherently better shaver than the other.  I own both types and get comparably good shaves.  There are also some modern ss razors which I do not get good results with, but that doesn't mean that vintage Gillettes are better.  Anyone can probably find a modern ss or vintage Gillette which work equally well for him, but some guys are just not into vintage.

60 11,236
 09-17-2017, 02:25 PM
User Info
I agree with The LegalRazor above and I'll add to it. With me it's all about your own face/beard and what works best on it. Sometimes I use a modern razor such as one of my Timeless, Charcoal. Blackland or Wolfman to name a few but I can get just as good a shave from my one of my British OC Aristocrats, New Deluxe OC or Gem MMOC to name a few. It also depends on technique and blade choice as I may use different or sometimes the same techniques when using for an example a Gem blade in my Blackland Sabre or my Gem Micromatic Bullet tip or Gem G blade. I'll take long strokes in a more traditional manner where is I'f I'm using a Feather or Kai blade in my Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC or  British Aristocrat  OC,  I'll use more of a short stroke progressive beard reduction technique.  But in the end I can get a great shave out of a lot of razors in my den. That doesn't mean I don't have favorites cause I do. Also have some that I just like to look at more than use ( both modern & vintage) in my collection. Shaving is a daily ritual  that I like a lot but to me it's also a hobby which I enjoy very much.

0 240
 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM
User Info
You have to try them to know.
Resistance is futile.

9 1,626
 09-18-2017, 03:33 AM
  • jar
User Info
I fall in the newer is not necessarily better side but also in the newer must be better side based on over a half century data. 

And the beat goes on...

My first razor was a hand-me-down Gillette from Dad and the new Super Speed I bought would certainly be better.  And the Fat Boy would certainly be better.  And the Slim would certainly be better.  And the Aristocrat Adjustable had to be better. 

To the future and beyond...

The new Feather AS-D2 would be better than my Tech.  The Rockwell will be better than my Feather AS-D2.  The Blackland Sabre will be better than my Damaskeenes.

What's funny is that I've never much been sorry when the reality turns out that new really wasn't better; just new, shiny and different.

[Image: medium800.jpg]

0 257
 09-18-2017, 05:34 AM
User Info
To me it is almost like comparing automobiles. They will all get you where you want to go, but we might like one better than another. Some are fancier, prettier (eye of the beholder) I've got one or more of all of the Aristocrats and they are all good to great shavers. OTOH, a Wolfman, Timeless or Blackbird is great as well and have their own desirability factors.

9 280
 09-18-2017, 09:58 AM
User Info
Kind of funny this topic just came up. I recently bought/used my first vintage razor, which happens to be a '46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat, and I was blown away. It's been awesome to use and will probably be my go-to for the near future. 

I also just happened to have recently sold my Wolfman Guerrilla. Not for any specific issues. In fact, it is a great razor, wish I could have kept it but as is with this hobby my interests in other items have been peaking. Overall, it provided excellent shaves. I was probably left with a little more irritation with this razor than the Aristocrat so far, but it is still an excellently machined razor in my opinion.

I do believe it is pretty subjective, but what has impressed me and provided me more of that awe factor is the fact that these vintage razors (in my case, this 70 year old Aristocrat) can provide such an excellent shave with all of the modernization that has gone on between then and now with razors. I think it's given me a lot more of an appreciation for vintage razors and all of the history behind them and the times/events they've been through and to still be around and still get the job done with such efficiency. Pretty remarkable in my mind.

14 159
 09-19-2017, 08:47 AM
User Info
(09-18-2017, 09:58 AM)_i2oss Wrote: Kind of funny this topic just came up. I recently bought/used my first vintage razor, which happens to be a '46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat, and I was blown away. It's been awesome to use and will probably be my go-to for the near future. 

I also just happened to have recently sold my Wolfman Guerrilla. Not for any specific issues. In fact, it is a great razor, wish I could have kept it but as is with this hobby my interests in other items have been peaking. Overall, it provided excellent shaves. I was probably left with a little more irritation with this razor than the Aristocrat so far, but it is still an excellently machined razor in my opinion.

I do believe it is pretty subjective, but what has impressed me and provided me more of that awe factor is the fact that these vintage razors (in my case, this 70 year old Aristocrat) can provide such an excellent shave with all of the modernization that has gone on between then and now with razors. I think it's given me a lot more of an appreciation for vintage razors and all of the history behind them and the times/events they've been through and to still be around and still get the job done with such efficiency. Pretty remarkable in my mind.
What is this "modernization" you are referring to? I see no significant Innovation in the high end DE razors being produced today, they may be built to close tolerances but all appear to be tweaks of traditional (primarily three piece) designs using stainless steel/Titanium/aluminum which materials have no relationship to shave quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2 473
 09-19-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
(09-19-2017, 08:47 AM)jmudrick Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 09:58 AM)_i2oss Wrote: Kind of funny this topic just came up. I recently bought/used my first vintage razor, which happens to be a '46-'47 Gillette Aristocrat, and I was blown away. It's been awesome to use and will probably be my go-to for the near future. 

What is this "modernization" you are referring to? I see no significant Innovation in the high end DE razors being produced today, they may be built to close tolerances but  all appear to be tweaks of traditional (primarily three piece) designs using stainless steel/Titanium/aluminum which materials have no relationship to shave quality.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Maybe modernization wasn't the right word. I'm not sure what word I'm looking for.

Regardless, I find both to be exceptionally great razors and I'm glad I've gotten to experience using both. I'll just leave it at that.

14 159