08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
  • mantic59
  • Unregistered
User Info
Hello gents--

I'm starting to work on a video about how to shave someone else. Not like a barber mind you, this would be more like shaving someone who couldn't shave themself due to age or disability. I want to make it a pleasant experience but probably not a BBS shave kind of thing (though perhaps with traditional soap/cream and brush with a 'modern' razor). I asked this in a post on my blog but I didn't get enough response I think.

Can anyone who has done this offer any advice?

08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Would this be someone shaving a face? Will this help much if it was other body parts? Sorry, legitimate question but I know how it sounds.

88 4,233
 08-26-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
Good luck with the video and sorry, but i can not help.
i am looking forward to it, though.

75 20,883
 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM
  • mantic59
  • Unregistered
User Info
(08-26-2012, 07:38 PM)beartrap Wrote: Would this be someone shaving a face? Will this help much if it was other body parts? Sorry, legitimate question but I know how it sounds.

Yes, it's a legitimate question! Yes, I'm thinking of the face.

08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I think you would need to speak to someone who takes care of elderly in nursing homes. PM me your email address, I know just the person that could help you. I will ask her to email you directly.

88 4,233
 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I shaved 3 times my 98 old granpa back in 2009.Just followed some videos,applied a hot towel,made lather on a bowl and used a shavette with a Super Iridum blade.Two passes (WTG and XTG),cold towel,Floid and my granpa was very,very happy.He died a month after that, 4 days after he reached 99 years.
I wasn't nervous at all and I think thats the trick.Also,small strokes.The funny thing is never tried a shavette,either a straight razor,but it wasnt as difficult as I expected.Well,also,straight the skin too,something I found out was very useful.

86 7,123
 08-27-2012, 03:00 AM
User Info
I never did. But if I would, I would probably use a "modern" razor, or a safety-razor...

2 5,532
 08-27-2012, 07:53 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have shaved my wife her legs several times (with a straight) and I did shave a few bodybuilders there whole body with a Feather razor because they knew I was into shaving and word got around after I did the first one (these people have to remove all hair on their body before going onstage). Never shaved someones face however. I did offer it to some in the gym that saw me shave myself but nobody wanted to try the straight razor shave, pussies ;-) Looking forward to your video.

I think that the hardest part of shaving someone else would be to assure them it's safe and they should relax, if they are skittish they could get a nick and after that it will only get worse. Probably best to do it on someone who is into wet shaving himself?

27 1,297
 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I shaved my father several times before in passed away in 1974.

My Mom would wash his face, then I would apply a hot towel. Lathered his face with a boar brush using either Williams or Old Spice soap.

Used a Schick E3 making two passes, one WTG and one XTG.

Followed up with a warm damp towel rinse, then a cold towel, followed up with either his Mennen, Aqua Velva, or Old Spice after shave.

It was a very rewarding experience for me and a pleasure for my Dad.

173 23,546
 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
I've never shaved another person, but I have found reading of others shaving family members quite touching, an experience I can't quite imagine.

0 241
 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
I've shaved a client I work with in an adult foster care home using a DE I picked up from Sally Beauty Supply, and the VDH set from Walmart. There's a few nicks once and a while since he is unable to remain completely still due to his disability, but he really enjoys it much more than his old canned gel and disposables.

1 168
 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I shaved my good friend, because he was afraid to try the safety razor out. I put a hot towel on his face while I made the lather in a warm scuttle, brushed on the lather, shaved 2 passes, one with the grain and one across the grain. I used my EJ89. He was amazed at how great it felt. Even with only two passes, he felt much cleaner than with his "modern" razor.

I also shave my wife's legs sometimes. First I set up a nice bath, with lavender bubble bath. Then (If I need redemption, candles, champagne yadda yadda yadda), I make lather in a bowl, either with KMF or GFT Coconut Oil cream, apply to her legs, and have at it with her Lady Gillette and whichever blades I have left over from testing that didn't agree with me.

Hope that helps.

9 408
 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
User Info
i have a autistic son and he is a teenager. he has a soft face and barbed wire for whiskers like his old man. i have tried DE and multi blade and has indicated he prefers the plastic multi blade method. i confess that i have tried a prep routine on him to ok effect. he is taller than me so it has been somewhat of a challenge. but he seems to like a good shave and aqua velva before going to church.

0 189
 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(08-27-2012, 07:53 AM)Snuff Wrote: I have shaved my wife her legs several times

I shave my wife legs on a regular basis. We both enjoy it.

4 313
 09-01-2012, 10:14 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
No, I have not shaved anyone else. I am hoping to convince the wife to let me try shaving her legs. As of yet though she is a little reluctant. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
Nope I don't think the need ever came up.

0 433
 09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
(08-27-2012, 07:53 AM)Snuff Wrote: I have shaved my wife her legs several times (with a straight) and I did shave a few bodybuilders there whole body with a Feather razor because they knew I was into shaving and word got around after I did the first one (these people have to remove all hair on their body before going onstage).

Haha, wow!

0 95
 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM
  • WmNeumann
  • Williamsburg, Virginia USA
User Info
(08-26-2012, 08:11 PM)Teiste Wrote: I shaved 3 times my 98 old granpa back in 2009.Just followed some videos,applied a hot towel,made lather on a bowl and used a shavette with a Super Iridum blade.Two passes (WTG and XTG),cold towel,Floid and my granpa was very,very happy.He died a month after that, 4 days after he reached 99 years.
I wasn't nervous at all and I think thats the trick.Also,small strokes.The funny thing is never tried a shavette,either a straight razor,but it wasnt as difficult as I expected.Well,also,straight the skin too,something I found out was very useful.

Nice Story, Teiste. Choked me up a bit. I think that at nearly 100 years old, as your grandpa was being taken care of by his grandson in such a loving manner, he must of realized his greatest accomplishment in life: You

(08-27-2012, 09:35 AM)Johnny Wrote: I shaved my father several times before in passed away in 1974.

My Mom would wash his face, then I would apply a hot towel. Lathered his face with a boar brush using either Williams or Old Spice soap.

Used a Schick E3 making two passes, one WTG and one XTG.

Followed up with a warm damp towel rinse, then a cold towel, followed up with either his Mennen, Aqua Velva, or Old Spice after shave.

It was a very rewarding experience for me and a pleasure for my Dad.

Another nice story, Johnny. What a great experience, and what a way to show your respect, admiration, and thanks to your father.

0 96
 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I haircut, beard-trimmed, and shaved the neck, nape, and beard borders of my Dad before he passed, and he loved being cleaned up and comfortable. The shaving, taking it slow and lightly like I have to do myself. A mild razor may be important here. WTG, XTG, slight angle to, and not directly ATG. The haircut was the easy part, we both wore buzzcuts, so the clippers did the job with a short comb installed. After the shave, he would revel in the bay rum and nape of the neck powder-finish.

0 1,291
 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
User Info
It's been 18 years, but yes, I've shaved someone else. I shaved my dad nearly every day for the last 5 months of his life. He passed away from esophageal cancer in 1994. I'd stop by after work each day and we'd go through our daily routine of shaving. I'd prep him with a gentle washing with a glycerine soap, followed by a warm (not hot) wash rag, and then lather him with the typical canned foam shaving cream. The razor was a Gillette multi-blade cartridge (can't remember now if it was a two or three blade razor). I'd have to go slow so as to not overly exhaust him. Early on, he'd assist with some minor "skin stretching" by moving his jaw, or pushing his tongue such that he'd stretch his lips to help shave close around his mouth. Toward the end, I'd take my hand and gently stretch his skin to help get the closeness he desired. I'd still have to go slow and allow him time to rest. Sometimes I'd have to reapply the warm rag, or a small amount of cream to give enough lubrication between pauses in the shave. He passed away on June 28, 1994 about half-way through our daily ritual. For the disabled and very ill, you will just have to find a "process" that works for the individual. Another version of their mileage may vary -- so to speak. You can't rush and must have lots of patience. You need to engage them in enough conversation to know what their expectations are and learn what they need from you. With Dad, I learned that due to his chemotherapy treatment, he'd be very sensitive to certain smells (enhanced nausea), and temperatures (water prep temp). Frankly, the game changed nearly every day pending on his disease and mental state. You just have to work around each new situation. However, I'd give anything to be able to shave him again today.

0 1