09-23-2017, 06:11 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-23-2017, 05:38 AM)Pomfretsteve Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 08:23 PM)celestino Wrote: Excellent soap, but the scents were not to my liking.

Same here, of the ones I have, they all have an ammonia like scent lurking underneath that I could not eliminate even by leaving the cover off for weeks

I wonder what the chemical scent is actually from.
I have a backup tub of Esbjerg Grapefruit that has an off scent like that you describe (ammonia), but my first tub isn't like that...just a light grapefruit scent. The backup barely smells like any grapefruit at all, pretty much just a chemical scent.
A couple other Esbjerg creams I bought (at the same time as the backup Grapefruit) had a similar issue, now that I think of it.

81 3,375
 09-23-2017, 06:57 AM
User Info
(09-22-2017, 07:40 PM)Ajaccio Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 02:07 AM)UngerWoo Wrote: One of the best performing soaps for me. I like the scents but they are not strong and tend to fade, so some of the scented P&B soaps I purchased are practically unscented now. I tend not to use them as much as I would if they held their scent better. Baskerville, for instance, was one of my favorite overall soaps when I first got it -- the scent was mild but definitely present and it was right up my alley. Now, I don't smell it at all.
This is a very intriguing insight. When did you acquire these soaps?
Over the last two years, I've purchased a bunch. Direct from them, from Maggard, and I think from Connaught. There have been a couple that have held scent longer -- Star Noir the longest -- but most have dissipated to the point where they're barely noticeable.

4 897
 09-23-2017, 06:58 AM
User Info
I just got theirs imperial rum and used it yesterday. It lathered up quickly, provided plenty of cushion, and had an excellent post shave - equivalent of wholly Kaw donkey milk or barrister and mann.

I know some have said they had irritation but I didn't experience any in the imperial rum.

The scent was lighter side of medium (would like a stronger fragrance) but really nice take on bay rum. Very classy - what I would expect from an English artisan to make bay rum refined and for upper crust Smile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 62
 09-23-2017, 04:37 PM
User Info
I used up a tub of Star Noir. To my nose, the scent was very pleasant. I have a lot of respect for people who have the ability to create scents like these. The lather is thick, protective, and slick. It lasted me a long time too. Made in the UK, which is pretty cool.

28 1,259
 09-24-2017, 07:39 PM
User Info
My Star Noir purchased upon release arrived ammonia free, eventually (month or two later maybe) it turned so I tossed it. I've never had a soap smell of ammonia. Sorry to beat a dead horse but you can't leave something like that unsaid in my opinion. Tried it, won't go back.

4 399
 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
(09-24-2017, 07:39 PM)DudeAbides Wrote: My Star Noir purchased upon release arrived ammonia free, eventually (month or two later maybe) it turned so I tossed it. I've never had a soap smell of ammonia. Sorry to beat a dead horse but you can't leave something like that unsaid in my opinion. Tried it, won't go back.

I understand the ammonia issue has now been resolved.  I'm not aware of any complaints since P&B introduced a longer curing period.

1 233
 09-25-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
I got my first tub of Star Noir and enjoyed it so much that I used it up from start to finish. I still have another new tub of Star Noir. Everyone has their own individual taste and perception of fragrances. I personally found the scent to be remarkably pleasing. Also, the performance of the soap was outstanding. That leads me to presume all of the P&B soaps share these positive traits of scent and performance.

28 1,259
 09-25-2017, 10:50 AM
User Info
Within my top 10, but 10 soaps is quite excessive. A great dense, slick and nourishing lather. Superb sheen and water retention. Scent wise I have no complaints, Denali and Obsidian being my favourites.

0 847
 09-25-2017, 05:11 PM
User Info
Really good soaps. I have 2 and enjoy both.

0 58
 09-27-2017, 07:23 PM
User Info
Thank you everyone for letting me know your thoughts. I am a bit torn on the scents of these soaps. I wonder if I will purchase a soap with an amazing scent only to have it dissipate over a year or so.

1 51
 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM
User Info
I have 3 tubs bought when P&B first came to market, no deterioration thus far.

0 847
 05-11-2018, 02:15 AM
User Info
I have Obsidian and was expecting a very different scent from how it was described. I still like the scent however, and find it performs great. The scent strength is not as strong as I'd like it to have been, but overall I really like it. I'd like to hear what people think about Star Nior.

0 5