08-26-2012, 09:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have been testing three Plisson 12 size High Mountain White shaving brushes in the last weeks,as well as I have tried a 14 size HMW and a 14 size European White , and some Chinese grey badger (under the Maison du Barbier brand) in the past,and so far , I haven't found "that special,different factor", that other people seem to have found on them , but I'm incapable of...

The High White Mountain badger hair have been marketed as something very different than other types of badger hair ,and I can see that on the 3 band ones , but not on the 2 band , which seems to be very similar than the Vie Long 2 band brushes , as I have pointed here :
Plisson 12 High Mountain White 2 band brush.

I admit that the bristles of the 3 band are thicker than most of the silvertip or super badger brushes out there , and , like the 2 band ones , has a very natural firm backbone , as well as keeping an excellent flow.I can't say that of many brushes , since the Plisson can keep a good , close to perfect for some , amount of backbone and bristle flexibility.

However , not everything is that good with these brushes : the tips go from medium scritchy (case of the 2 Plisson 12 HMW ) to scratchy (Plisson 12 HMW 2 band, and 14 3 band) which makes them kind of unpleasant to use with circular movements on the face while making lather.

The brushes are perfect to make lather on a shaving scuttle and apply it on the face with to and fro movements , but I can do the same , with the same "feeling" and results , with several different brushes , half the price than these ones.I actually used an Art of Shaving fine badger brush today (Im positive that brush is a mixture of silvertip and pure badger hair) with the same results today ! , but this one , at least , has softer tips...

So we have a brush that has some good qualities (right amount of backbone and flow),is well made (the handles are gorgeous but no much different than other handles out there) but some other things that aren't that good (from scritchy to very scratchy tips so its not pleasant to use with face lathering with circular movements on the face.). And the question is , whats so special about this kind of hair?

My answer : I don't know.I honestly don't know where is all the mysticism of this type of badger hair.I didn't get it in the past and I don't get it now.All what I know is that the Italians and French are marketing masters , and they have done an excellent job promoting their products as the "best" (in some cases,they truly are!),with a halo of mysticism around them. I'm afraid that have been the case with the Plisson High Mountain White badger.Yes , I'm sure that 999 badger pelts are refused to get the "one" with this kind of very long and rare hair , but is it worthy its high price? That's a question that I cant answer for anybody else's , but me.

All I can say that I'm not a Plisson fan and I can find many brushes much better than any of the HMW that I have tried so far,and some of them cost 3 times less than a brand new HMW brush.But , of course , to each its own , and I'm sure that many people out there are very happy with them and don't mind to spend the extra bucks.This is another clear case of YMMV.

86 7,123
 08-26-2012, 11:07 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Teiste,

Excellent post. I was hoping for this sort of candor when I loaned you the two HMW size 12 brushes. It sounds like you have gotten to know them well. I favor the 3 band brush, too.

I very much enjoy using these brushes, and I am happy to have purchased them. But I had my own reasons for buying them, and I agree that you can find brushes that will work equally well or better for a much lower price.

43 1,690
 08-27-2012, 01:43 AM
User Info
Enjoyed the review Teiste, Thanks. I would have to agree with you, the two EW brushes I have purchased in the last 4 years are scritchy, when I purchased them I was hoping for soft tips but that was not the case. My older HMW is very much different than todays offerings from Plission.

0 86
 08-27-2012, 05:26 AM
User Info
Thank you Teiste for yet another superb review. It is not often that one sees a review of the HMW Plisson brushes so this review is of special interest to all traditional shaving enthusiasts.

0 3,341
 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
As always your reviews are excellent, very detailed.
I enjoy reviews because you are always honest and present both sides fairly.

1 3,507
 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-27-2012, 03:20 PM)Howler Wrote: As always your reviews are excellent, very detailed.
I enjoy reviews because you are always honest and present both sides fairly.

Im not trying to be antagonistic or even controversial,but I haven't tried a Plisson which I truly like it , like I do with shavemac,Simpson,Vie Long or Semogue brushes.

86 7,123
 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
Teiste, another great post, my friend.

75 20,883