[Image: gkCytl0.jpg]

[Image: yNQLIef.jpg]

37 1,863
 09-21-2017, 02:27 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Wow!  Did you give up one of your Chubby 2-bands?

145 2,752
 09-21-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
Beautiful Finest! I have it's twin with the same British spelling for STERILISED. A truly unique and enjoyable knot.

40 1,166
 09-21-2017, 04:44 PM
User Info
Beautiful!

17 1,430
 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
This is the most ergonomic handle design in brush I ever own a simply masterpiece . Enjoy !

10 423
 09-21-2017, 07:08 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(09-21-2017, 02:27 PM)blzrfn Wrote: Wow!  Did you give up one of your Chubby 2-bands?

Busy trading week...  Biggrin

37 1,863
 09-21-2017, 09:45 PM
User Info
I am happy to see Nathan got what he wanted and you can give us your thoughts on this brush. I made an offer on this brush and figured it wouldn't be enough but nonetheless, I wanted to try this knot. So enjoy it and keep us posted! Cheers!  Wink  Badger

79 1,339
 09-22-2017, 05:04 AM
User Info
Thumbsup
I am glad that that very special brush found it's way to such a great home!  Enjoy it my friend!

74 2,276
 09-22-2017, 05:10 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(09-22-2017, 05:04 AM)merkur man Wrote: Thumbsup
I am glad that that very special brush found it's way to such a great home!  Enjoy it my friend!

Ditto for the Chubby! There are some brushes who just are phenomenal. Both the Finest and Chubby 2 Band belong in that camp.

37 1,863
 09-22-2017, 05:42 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
So I had the opportunity to face lather with the Finest today and want to share a few observations. This is the first Rooney Finest I possess and I was torn on acquiring one ever since they came out as there are many polarizing opinions about them: "holy grail" of brushes of all times, scritchy, overrated etc to name a few. It was time I make my own observations, but by now these Rooney Finest are hard to come by... and I knew I needed a rather higher lofted one from what I read. Finally, an opportunity presented itself   Biggrin

When I received the brush, I was at first stunned by the appearance of the knot: I was expecting to see very white tips. Instead the knot has an amber type of color, a golden hue that is different than anything I had seen before. I contacted Nathan wondering if this is a "discoloration" of some sort due to use of certain creams/soaps. I was relieved to learn that indeed this hue is a property of the original Rooney Finest and I read up on various threads on different fora confirming this observation. It is hard to capture this in a photo, and, of course, the hue is less pronounced when blooming. Also, the hair looks basically white when viewed from the side. The amber color only becomes pronounced when dry and in a top view.

[Image: 1O0H0RU.jpg]

[Image: NQCpy7y.jpg]

The million dollar question, however, is if this is a scritchy knot? Something that would really turn me off. I knew from other gentlemen that own these rare brushes that the hair can be quite prickly, especially in a shorter lofted knot. There is also commentary that these are the softest knots ever tried. So, I really was not sure what to expect.

When I shampooed the knot upon arrival and then gave it a run with Simpson shaving cream as a starter I knew those concerns were unnecessary. The tips felt very soft in a palm lather with no scritch whatsoever. But the truth will come out only when applying it to the face, which I did this morning. And - no scritch.  Angel

The hair is soft and the tall loft (24/58mm knot) makes it very forgiving. My technique of creating lather is to build it on the soap puck (I use a cream only to "prepare" a brush when using it for the first time - just easier). The brush is off medium density compared to a 2 Band Chubby but it is quite dense considering especially the brush style of the time. The hair is fine but with resilience , the white tips of each hair are so long.

Bottomline, a really rewarding experience.

I have been going through a few hundred brushes over the years of all kinds and there are really only a few hair grades available at certain times that I feel are truly special and have not really been reproduced. For me, specifically, there are Rooney Heritage 3 Band, Simpson 2 Band (2011-13) and now I am adding Rooney Finest to this distinction.

As I have tried so many brushes over the years there are not many that impress me much (see the ones above). However, I always wanted to try/own a Rooney Finest and a vintage Plisson (the current HMW are not to my liking). Now I got that Finest.

And, actually, I also got my hand on a vintage Plisson this week (see below) , which I am eager to try next. May I just have come to the end of my journey??  Badger

[Image: P57Qwut.jpg]

37 1,863
 09-22-2017, 06:00 AM
User Info
Great report.  Glad the brush and knot are to your liking!  Now let's see a thread on that Plisson!

17 1,430
 09-22-2017, 06:02 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Congratulations on your latest acquisitions. Enjoy each and every shave!

7 2,159
 09-22-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
Here is a very pronounced golden-amber colored Finest.  You don't see very many of these brushes around.  Olde Apothecary Shop with Rooney Finest knot.  

[Image: MayQS5N.jpg]

74 2,276
 09-22-2017, 09:49 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. In terms of color, I would buy more brushes based on look if they are less white and more towards the tan, or as you say, a golden hint. In my head, it is more likely for it to be a natural hair vs a uber white white be it 2 band or 3 band. 

I had a Somerset PJ 3 Simpson Super (i don't think it was bleached back then) and liked the brush but it was too large to keep. Maybe you tried one that was similar. How big is the bloom for you on the face? Is it manageable? 

The Plisson hopefully will be reviewed as well. I didn't enjoy fully the newest Plisson (HMW) I had (2014 maybe?) but I did enjoy a good handful of the vintage ones. I liked both the HMW and the European White.

79 1,339
 09-23-2017, 07:22 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
German, thank you for the fine review.  Did you lather the brush using circular motions or with sweeping motions?

10 757
 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(09-23-2017, 07:22 AM)grantmm Wrote: German, thank you for the fine review.  Did you lather the brush using circular motions or with sweeping motions?

Both - I am starting with creating lather on the puck, move to the face, first with circular motions and then with paint strokes. I think the gentle fee of this specific Finest is also driven by the tall loft. Not a "cloud soft" experience as with a Thäter, more a gentle scrub.

37 1,863
 09-23-2017, 10:48 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Wow, that amber finest is a beauty!

Cheers, Steve

7 528
 09-23-2017, 11:14 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Adding a picture that shows the 1/2 Finest next to a Wiborg "White Badger" knot. This brings out the natural amber hue of the Finest quite nicely.

[Image: xzM8VMc.jpg]

37 1,863
 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the aquisition. It seems like it will fit right in with the rest of your badger beauties.

69 2,186
 09-28-2017, 03:18 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Well, I'm happy that you acquired it Georg, but somehow saddened at the same time!  One less Finest to acquire, as it were!

To quote my favorite Author, "Use it well!".

74 1,512