09-22-2017, 08:48 AM
User Info
I have tried a few different creams but would like to try a soap. 
Do you guys prefer creams or soaps, and if so why? Also what soap would you recommend for good lather, glide, etc?

0 226
 09-22-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
Honestly no preference.  There are excellent creams and soaps.  My best creams are Maca root, ToBS sensitive skin, Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar.  Next down from them are Cremo, Palmolive lemon, and other indian creams.
My top soap is SV Dolomati, and WSP Vetiver(and other WSP soaps).  So try some good ones and see.

1 663
 09-22-2017, 10:54 AM
User Info
For me there is no comparison.  I like soaps a LOT better.  I used creams when I first started out, but once I tried a soap, it was all over.  

Soaps last a lot longer and don't go rancid if you have a ton.  It takes a bit longer to lather them, but I find the lathers, generally speaking, are more protective than cream lathers.

3 2,011
 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I have used  approx. 10 brands/scents of creams and recently began using soaps.  There are other members with more knowledge.

In general, I find creams good for newbies, quicker to apply, and nice + milder scents.  I have avoided the $5 budget creams - so impressed with the creams for performance.  No rash, no uncomfortable feeling after a shave, etc.  I liked all my creams.  Creams have a different chemical makeup and water (think soaked brush) will alter the chemical composition (think rancid as commented above).  I am currently down to one cream with plans to order the Castle Forbes.

Soaps must be easier to make and everyone seems to make numerous complex scents.  Soaps seem cheaper (competition ?) and longer lasting.  The art on some of the tubs/cans is really impressive.  Soaps may be slightly more slick for shaving.  I have one soap - best performance but too strong & long lasting scent - used once and may not use again.  Currently i have 3 soap brands and in the "fairly good" range for me.  I also have 2 soap brands on order.  

I am happy I began trying soaps.  Soaps have more diversity and thus increased chances for both a favorite and toss out.  Soaps can also lead to impulsive buying more than creams (no one has 21 creams in their shave den).

17 970
 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-22-2017, 10:54 AM)kingfisher Wrote: For me there is no comparison.  I like soaps a LOT better.  I used creams when I first started out, but once I tried a soap, it was all over.  

Soaps last a lot longer and don't go rancid if you have a ton.  It takes a bit longer to lather them, but I find the lathers, generally speaking, are more protective than cream lathers.

Yes.

19 5,490
 09-22-2017, 02:14 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Roy ,the soaps are cheaper per shave and the one of the best USA artisans  are made by Larry from Cold River Soap Works (CRSW).
Highly recommend !

12 567
 09-22-2017, 02:26 PM
User Info
(09-22-2017, 11:43 AM)SCOV Wrote: I have used  approx. 10 brands/scents of creams and recently began using soaps.  There are other members with more knowledge.

In general, I find creams good for newbies, quicker to apply, and nice + milder scents.  I have avoided the $5 budget creams - so impressed with the creams for performance.  No rash, no uncomfortable feeling after a shave, etc.  I liked all my creams.  Creams have a different chemical makeup and water (think soaked brush) will alter the chemical composition (think rancid as commented above).  I am currently down to one cream with plans to order the Castle Forbes.

Soaps must be easier to make and everyone seems to make numerous complex scents.  Soaps seem cheaper (competition ?) and longer lasting.  The art on some of the tubs/cans is really impressive.  Soaps may be slightly more slick for shaving.  I have one soap - best performance but too strong & long lasting scent - used once and may not use again.  Currently i have 3 soap brands and in the "fairly good" range for me.  I also have 2 soap brands on order.  

I am happy I began trying soaps.  Soaps have more diversity and thus increased chances for both a favorite and toss out.  Soaps can also lead to impulsive buying more than creams (no one has 21 creams in their shave den).

Hi,
My name must be “no one” cause I have more than 21 creams in my shave den, way more in fact.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 145
 09-22-2017, 02:48 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(09-22-2017, 02:26 PM)Rhinehoth Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 11:43 AM)SCOV Wrote: I have used  approx. 10 brands/scents of creams and recently began using soaps.  There are other members with more knowledge.

Hi,
My name must be “no one” cause I have more than 21 creams in my shave den, way more in fact.
Cheers.

Hi No One 
Typo - meant to type 87 creams (hopefully that excludes you)  Wink 

While asking, what are some of your favorite creams?.  I liked Occam's crushed lime - unfortunately out of the shaving business.

17 970
 09-22-2017, 03:32 PM
User Info
SMN V3, XPEC (Unscented), ADP, Alvarez Gomez, Baume.Be, St James, I Coloniali, Musgo Real and Meissner Tremonia are my favourite shaving creams. Occam’s is a very nice cream and I still have two tubs left but since it’s no longer made I left it out of the list. Creams that did not make the list (either because of performance or scent) and were given away include XPEC Scented, Dr Harris, AOS, Castle Forbes, Proraso, L'Occitane, TOBS, and T&H No. 10.

0 145
 09-22-2017, 04:55 PM
  • Nero
User Info
There are excellent creams and soaps, but MANY more (in number) excellent soaps than excellent creams.

For me, creams are usually good WTG and XTG, but for some reason not too great ATG. I'm not sure if they dry out more easily (or I think I don't add as much water with creams as I do with soaps, that's because I think creams generally can't handle the amount of water that soaps can, on average).

...the creams that do not follow this trend are excellent however.

Floris No. 89 cream instantly comes to mind... extremely comfortable ATG.

99 4,196
 09-22-2017, 06:28 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I mostly enjoy using both soaps and creams, although my ratio of use is probably 3:1.

39 6,300
 09-22-2017, 08:21 PM
User Info
My preference is soaps as there are so many great ones, especially, the artisanal ones and there is much more variety in scents with them.

93 21,373
 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
User Info
Soap please! 

Geez, what was the last cream I used?

87 1,828
 09-22-2017, 09:54 PM
User Info
The only cream I have is a sample of Acqui di Parma, which I’ll eventually buy based on performance and scent. Beyond that, Mike’s, B&M, and CRSW are my top 3 affordable, well performing soap makers. If you want to stretch the budget a bit - Pannacrema Nuavia and Saponificio Varesino (as well as AdP) are guilty pleasures.

36 2,247
 09-22-2017, 11:10 PM
User Info
I like the creams I have used (in order of preference, TOBS, AOS, T&H, Proraso, Palmolive, GFT, Arko). But there are so many artisan soap makers it's hard to not end up with more soaps than creams in the collection.

6 1,163
 09-27-2017, 03:28 PM
User Info
I go back and forth.  I find my soap a bit more protective, but the cream is way more convenient.  

0 446
 09-28-2017, 09:33 AM
User Info
I enjoy using both, but find myself using soaps more. I think I just happen to enjoy some of the soap scents I have more, and by default reach for them more often.

12 663
 09-28-2017, 11:29 AM
User Info
I strongly prefer soaps. Besides, I always have a tube of the Nivea shaving cream. Fantastic cream at more than afordable price. Also very convenient when I'm in hurry.

0 21
 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM
User Info
I also prefer soaps, but I have to admit that there are some great performing creams.

60 2,730
 09-28-2017, 09:40 PM
User Info
XPEC , castle Forbes , Aqua Di Parma , ABC are all great creams. I would try a soft soap with a good reputation for lathering up easy for starters if you do decide to try a soap. Mikes , Cella are a couple good ones to start with. I have no preference to either as long as the end result produces slick lather.

88 1,828